Register Now
Kane99

Will Atreus (Loki) take over God of War?

For those who have played God of War, do you think that Atreus will become the lead character at some point?

I assume this god of War series will be a trilogy. I think Kratos will die and then Atreus will become the main character for a future series or trilogy. 

What do you guys think?

I think that Kratos still needs to go long in the game and help with the character development of Atreus in the game. It's the only that he can be able to replace Kratos in the God of War if he eventually dies. 

I don't think Atreus will "take over". Just like how Tomb Raider wouldn't be Tomb Raider without Lara Croft as the lead, God of War wouldn't be God of War without Kratos. Yes, the character and indeed the game can evolve and change, but it wouldn't make sense for the lead of the game to change completely.

Perhaps at the end of this particular ark with the Norse mythology, and then there'll be a reboot with Kratos again. Or perhaps Atrius will ascend to become a god of a different domain (I'm guessing the Trickster domain)? I could easily see an Overlord: Fellowship of Evil spin-off in that there's four Overlord-wannabes, and neither of them are - in this instance - Kratos. So you'd have Atreus, Batreus, Catreus and Fatreus, or whoever the equivilant of Atreus would be times three.

I'm just spitballing here.🤔

12 hours ago, Shagger said:

I don't think Atreus will "take over". Just like how Tomb Raider wouldn't be Tomb Raider without Lara Croft as the lead, God of War wouldn't be God of War without Kratos. Yes, the character and indeed the game can evolve and change, but it wouldn't make sense for the lead of the game to change completely.

Yeah I suppose so. It would be weird not having him be the main guy, but I think eventually it would make sense. They could always have him be a side character or someone who tags along once Atreus becomes the lead. I just think this is the inevitable route, because I don't see Kratos being alive forever. But I could be wrong. 

22 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah I suppose so. It would be weird not having him be the main guy, but I think eventually it would make sense. They could always have him be a side character or someone who tags along once Atreus becomes the lead. I just think this is the inevitable route, because I don't see Kratos being alive forever. But I could be wrong. 

I think that we have seen something like that being done in some games in past and sometimes it doesn't go so well but everything depends on how it's done.

Take for instance, Hideo Kojima have been able to pull that trick twice in Metal Gear Solid. The first one was in Metal Gear Solid 2 when the best and much loved Solid Snake was replaced by Raiden and also in Metal Gear Solid V where players never knew they were playing the body double of the Legendary Big Boss which they can only find out at the end of game.

So, if they can find a way to sell the replacement of Kratos by Atreus in a justifiable manner in the upcoming future God of War games, then it might be well received by the game's fans. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

I think that we have seen something like that being done in some games in past and sometimes it doesn't go so well but everything depends on how it's done.

Take for instance, Hideo Kojima have been able to pull that trick twice in Metal Gear Solid. The first one was in Metal Gear Solid 2 when the best and much loved Solid Snake was replaced by Raiden and also in Metal Gear Solid V where players never knew they were playing the body double of the Legendary Big Boss which they can only find out at the end of game.

So, if they can find a way to sell the replacement of Kratos by Atreus in a justifiable manner in the upcoming future God of War games, then it might be well received by the game's fans. 

With MGS 2 though, I believe fans were more mixed on that. I think a lot of people hated not being able to play as Snake throughout the majority of the game. I haven't played MGSV, but I already know that Snake and Big Boss and all them are clones if I remember correctly. 

With Atreus it's a bit different. You weren't forced to play as him with Kratos in the background. To my knowledge, the first and new game you take control of Kratos, and Atreus is your backup. What I think will happen, is maybe Kratos will become the backup eventually, while you take Atreus over. But, I don't think that will happen until after a third game, to make it a solid trilogy. Then they can explore Atreus as a main character, with Kratos as a backup character. This way he doesn't go away and can still be an important part of the games. 

On 7/27/2022 at 8:46 PM, Kane99 said:

With MGS 2 though, I believe fans were more mixed on that. I think a lot of people hated not being able to play as Snake throughout the majority of the game. I haven't played MGSV, but I already know that Snake and Big Boss and all them are clones if I remember correctly. 

With Atreus it's a bit different. You weren't forced to play as him with Kratos in the background. To my knowledge, the first and new game you take control of Kratos, and Atreus is your backup. What I think will happen, is maybe Kratos will become the backup eventually, while you take Atreus over. But, I don't think that will happen until after a third game, to make it a solid trilogy. Then they can explore Atreus as a main character, with Kratos as a backup character. This way he doesn't go away and can still be an important part of the games. 

Well, looking at it from this angle seems like it's something feasible to a good extent. By doing so, Kratos won't be me completely eliminated in the game which he's been the signature character for years. Also, I think just maybe they would make it an option where players can decide to play either Kratos or Atreus with the other one lining up as the backup. 

Edited by Heatman

On 7/30/2022 at 9:58 AM, Heatman said:

Well, looking at it from this angle seems like it's something feasible to a good extent. By doing so, Kratos won't be me completely eliminated in the game which he's been the signature character for years. Also, I think just maybe they would make it an option where players can decide to play either Kratos or Atreus with the other one lining up as the backup. 

I could see something like that happening, where they allow Kratos as a sidekick or as a selectable character at least. I think it'd be even cooler if you played as Atreus and when you beat it, you can open new game + where you can select Kratos to play as. 

Idk I could see it working. But I know some fans won't want to leave Kratos as a sidekick. 

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Idk I could see it working. But I know some fans won't want to leave Kratos as a sidekick. 

Yeah, this is the only challenge that I forsee with them trying to follow the path of having Kratos role changed in the game. If it's not welcomed by gamers, it's going to affect the game's sales big time and that's not going to be good for the franchise. 

Edited by Heatman

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, this is the only challenge that I forsee with them trying to follow the path of having Kratos role changed in the game. If it's not welcomed by gamers, it's going to affect the game's sales big time and that's not going to be good for the franchise. 

I just think inevitably we have to put Krato's story to rest. I know Kratos is that character that has been around forever. But I could see a God of War game working without Kratos if done right. And that's by building Atreus into a character everyone loves as much as Kratos himself. And so far it seems like fans really dig Atreus. Especially since he's growing up to become a key character.