Register Now
DC

Best Video Capture Cards 2022?

What are some of the best video capture cards for streaming right now? I’ve had good experiences with Elgato products; right now, I am using the HD60 S+. I helped a friend pick out the EVGA XR1 Lite on a budget. I’ve also heard good things about capture cards from Asus and AVerMedia.

What capture cards are you using right now, and which have you used in the past?

Are you looking to stream console games and all that? Because if so, the Elgato HD60 line should suffice. But if you're just looking to stream PC games or media, then I'd say your best bet would be to just use your PC itself and skip the capture card. But if you want to capture consoles as well, Elgato would be the route to go I think. 

As for PC, I just use OBS and my graphics card I imagine does the rest. 🙂 

I don't personally use one as yet but I plan to start streaming in the near future. Here are some recommendations I got from other gamers that stream:

• Elgato Game Capture HD60 X
  • Avermedia Live Gamer Duo
  • Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro MK.2
  • Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro
  • Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus

Also if you're considering streaming, you could also get Elgatos stream deck I think it's called. It allows you to have button prompts for just about everything. They're expensive though, but I'd recommend getting one if you stream. It will help a lot with streams, making it easier to run. 

I've heard of aver media, but heard they weren't as good as Elgato, but I also heard they're better made these days, so idk haha. 

I want to get a capture card as well, so I can stream retro consoles. But you need to get older streaming devices for those it seems, as newer capture devices don't seem to include connections for most older consoles and devices. 

22 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Also if you're considering streaming, you could also get Elgatos stream deck I think it's called. It allows you to have button prompts for just about everything. They're expensive though, but I'd recommend getting one if you stream. It will help a lot with streams, making it easier to run. 

I've heard of aver media, but heard they weren't as good as Elgato, but I also heard they're better made these days, so idk haha. 

I want to get a capture card as well, so I can stream retro consoles. But you need to get older streaming devices for those it seems, as newer capture devices don't seem to include connections for most older consoles and devices. 

I know about Elgato Stream deck and yeah, I was going to get it somewhere down the line. To be honest, I don't know much about Aver Media products as much as Elgato so I was just going to go with that.

21 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I know about Elgato Stream deck and yeah, I was going to get it somewhere down the line. To be honest, I don't know much about Aver Media products as much as Elgato so I was just going to go with that.

Elgato would be a good option. I haven't heard a whole lot on Aver media either. I just know they have produced capture devices similar to Elgato, but in the past I thought they weren't any good, so I always thought Elgato was the one to go for. But I guess they're not so bad. Reading some reviews they seem to be a more affordable option as well. 

On 8/4/2022 at 1:51 PM, Kane99 said:

Elgato would be a good option. I haven't heard a whole lot on Aver media either. I just know they have produced capture devices similar to Elgato, but in the past I thought they weren't any good, so I always thought Elgato was the one to go for. But I guess they're not so bad. Reading some reviews they seem to be a more affordable option as well. 

Also, Elgato seems a lot more compatible with other recording/streaming software so I'd probably go with that anyways.

I am currently using the HD60S myself which I have had since around 2018 and it's still going strong, and I haven't had any issues with it at all which has been amazing. I know there are quite a few capture cards out there that you can purchase that are more affordable than the Elgato products but the one I know of that seems to be quite well known and I know someone who does use it is, AVerMedia. From what I understand they are great and quite reliable, and I haven't heard any complaints from those who are using it. If my Elgato was to die on me, AVerMedia would be one I would consider for sure. 

I have an avermedia Live Gamer 2 Plus at the moment. I would like to upgrade to something better, but money is tight and I haven't been streaming or putting out video content to really justify upgrading to something better if i'm honest. In the future though I would like to get something that supports HDR10 along w/ the 4K Passthrough, as I feel like I don't get the most out of my Xbox Series X as it's connected to a capture card.