Register Now
The Blackangel

Best Survival Horror Games List

After following the link @Kane99 made in his post about the 10 Banned Games, I followed a link on the page. It lists several of the best survival horror games, many of which I intend to try out. The rest I already have. It's a great list, and I look forward to trying it out.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/best-survival-horror-games

I watched a playthrough of SOMA years ago, and always wanted to give it a go, but I figured it would be pointless after watching people play it. It is one of those games where you don't know what could be around the corner. Given that you're in space and I think you're in an abandoned station without power. It's dark, and enemies are random if I remember correctly. 

I kinda disagree about Layers of Fear though. It's essentially a walking simulator with jump scares. I get why people like it, because the atmosphere is pretty dope, but for me, that's all it's got going for it. Plus I probably hate it more due to the early access version I played breaking on me twice. To which point, replaying it a third time, the scares just didn't do it for me. 

I found layers of fear on that list and to be honest it has been on my mind for survival horror video games I want to try out.

I still don't know my hesitations as why I haven't purchased and played the game but i would definitely give that video game a play soon.

I would say that it's one of the best horror games out there if you want my opinion. @Kane99's analysis of it is more or less correct about the bones of the game, but there's a lot more in it than just walking around and finding jump scares. It's a psychological game. It hits things in your mind that are laying dormant and waiting for the right time to make themselves known.

Actually on another thread where I posted about layers of fear 2 and a triller of it made with unreal engine , the matter about it not been such a good game was brought up by kane and  from his stance he feels the game isn't worth it since you can't die.

Well ,when I first played layers of fear it was about the same time I wanted to start the last of part 1 and a few days of playing layers of fear I was even more convinced to get more games from the survival horror genre.

Layers Of Fear isn't an action game. It's a psychological mess-with-your-mind kind of horror. A lot of people want action horror games, and that's fine. I hope you have fun with Outlast 1 & 2. But I like the psychological kind of horror best. It messes with your head while you're playing it, and sometimes it stays with you after you're done playing. If this were a movie, I would compare Outlast to Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Layers Of Fear would best be compared to Rose Red.

Resident Evil 2 worked because it was just actionized enough to give you a feeling of control when dealing with regular enemies, but not so much that you felt like you could toy with them, while still presenting bosses as a desperate encounter no matter how prepared you were.

I know little to nothing about RE. @Rain Dew would be the one to talk about it. I've watched her play a few horror games, so I'm sure I've seen her play RE a couple times. If I remember right, she can't play the new one because it's a first person game. First person games freak her out, especially if it's a horror game. She had an instance years ago that scared the hell out of her. That's all I'm going to say though.

An even more intense horror game that messes with your mind all through is Alien: Isolation left all alone in an abandoned spaceship or something of that sort and been hunted down by a rather disturbing and horribly looking creature, fighting to save the game is excruciatingly fun.

Edited by Clasher

Personally, I find Darkwood as a topnotch survival horror game that was released for gamers. It's one of those games that doesn't hold your hand in any way but expect you to eventually everything possible to survive.

You're just wake up in a twisted forest where during the day, you have to explore and gather resources for survival and at night, you have to battle nasty creatures out there to kill you. 

Darkwood is worth every penny I spent on it. I'm very sure that you're gonna love it as well. There's always hope to getting money one way or another, and when that happens, you can get the game and start enjoying playing it. 

On 8/22/2022 at 5:52 PM, Heatman said:

Personally, I find Darkwood as a topnotch survival horror game that was released for gamers. It's one of those games that doesn't hold your hand in any way but expect you to eventually everything possible to survive.

You're just wake up in a twisted forest where during the day, you have to explore and gather resources for survival and at night, you have to battle nasty creatures out there to kill you. 

Surprisingly , I haven't heard anything about this game, the triller is exciting I like the gothic look and sounds.

I would check out for gameplay videos online and see what it looks like.

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:
  • Alien Isolation
  • Outlast & Outlast 2
  • Forbidden Siren
  • Dead Space
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake and RE 7
  • The Evil Within
  • Dying Light

I can't wait to get my hands on both Dead Space Remake and Resident Evil 4 Remake. I have a feeling that they are both going to be very intense especially Dead Space Remake.

Are you getting it when it gets released?