Register Now

@kingpotato is Mexican if I remember correctly, so he could give a better insight to this. For me personally, I just refer to Hispanic people however they prefer. It's the same as everyone else. Unless it's something stupid, like unvaccinated people wanting to be called "purebloods". But it's kinda in the same boat as me asking people what their pronouns are. No two people are the same with their preferred terminology. And it's not limited to the Hispanic community. It's all in every community. I know a few other lesbians who find it funny as hell to be called a dyke. I would be enraged if anyone other than @Rain Dew was to call me a dyke. So it all boils down to the individual.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I don't know. If I remember right Spanish people are Hispanic, yet not Latino/Latina.

Yeah, Latino/Latina refers to Latin Americans and Spain isn’t in Latin America.

The difference between the two terms are which countries/people south of the US border (and Caribbean) are included or excluded.

Hispanic = Spanish speaking, so countries like Brazil and French Guiana, etc are excluded.

Latino(a) = Speaks a Latin language. The Latin languages spoken in the region are Spanish, Portuguese, and French (there are other Latin languages, but they’re irrelevant in the region). This includes a large portion of the region, but excludes any country where English is the primary language, as English isn’t a Latin language.

It can be confusing in America, because the primary people we are exposed to (depending on what part of the US you’re from) are Mexican, Cuban, and Puerto Rican where Hispanic and Latino(a) are interchangeable. Brazilians are kind of rare here, and Haitians primarily live in South Florida.

Actually, I think what defines Latin is the language spoken but it's up for debate. Spanish language has it's roots in Latin and is part of the Romance languages like Spain, Italy, Portugal, Romania, France. All came from Latin. Latin evolved into different classifications such as Romance. Spain would be Ibero-Romance. Romania is Balkan Romance. France is Gallo-Romance. 

Here is a wikipedia link to Latin Romance languages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages

When it comes to the Americas and Latin, as based on Romantic Latin languages, every country south of the USA is Latin. And the majority speak Spanish except for Brazil and I think Paraguay and Uruguay. LatinX I don't even know what it means and I'm not concerned with it LOL. It's supposed to be a gender neutral term I guess. But when you look at the entire Spanish language it is very sexist as it has masculine pronunciations and feminine pronunciations. When you want to complicate gender neutral terms, you would throw the whole Spanish language into the abyss. 

But if Spain is not considered Latin then that is news to me and you guys may be right to a certain extent as language and nationality could have different meanings. Here is a good link to the difference between Hispanic, Latino, and Spanish

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/a33971047/what-is-difference-between-hispanic-latino-spanish/

20 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Actually, I think what defines Latin is the language spoken but it's up for debate. Spanish language has it's roots in Latin and is part of the Romance languages like Spain, Italy, Portugal, Romania, France. All came from Latin. Latin evolved into different classifications such as Romance. Spain would be Ibero-Romance. Romania is Balkan Romance. France is Gallo-Romance. 

Here is a wikipedia link to Latin Romance languages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages

When it comes to the Americas and Latin, as based on Romantic Latin languages, every country south of the USA is Latin. And the majority speak Spanish except for Brazil and I think Paraguay and Uruguay. LatinX I don't even know what it means and I'm not concerned with it LOL. It's supposed to be a gender neutral term I guess. But when you look at the entire Spanish language it is very sexist as it has masculine pronunciations and feminine pronunciations. When you want to complicate gender neutral terms, you would throw the whole Spanish language into the abyss. 

But if Spain is not considered Latin then that is news to me and you guys may be right to a certain extent as language and nationality could have different meanings. Here is a good link to the difference between Hispanic, Latino, and Spanish

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/a33971047/what-is-difference-between-hispanic-latino-spanish/

Latino(a) is a regional thing, like mentioned in that article you posted:

Latino, Latina and Latinx are geographic terms, which refer to a person from Latin America or of Latin American descent.

One of the controversies with Latinx has more to do with how it actually fits into Spanish. It was created by English speakers, and it's pronounced Latin Ex. Well the usage of X kind of contradicts Spanish grammar, so it ends up being a bit ironic that a term that's supposed to be inclusive is excluding the people that speak the language. Which is why it's not really gaining traction in the Spanish community. I've seen Latine being used more than Latinx by the Latin trans community more as it grammatically makes more sense to them, easier for them to pronounce, and fits the bill of inclusivity.

I find the term stupid because I've only ever seen it pushed by anyone who is not Latino. It just reminds me of how everyone but the culture the character was based on got offended by Speedy Gonzalez, while the people who were from the culture he represents love him and have no problem with him. To me Latinx is just another example of an outside group trying to tell another they should be upset with something that the latter has never had a problem with.

2 hours ago, Grungie said:

Latino(a) is a regional thing, like mentioned in that article you posted:

One of the controversies with Latinx has more to do with how it actually fits into Spanish. It was created by English speakers, and it's pronounced Latin Ex. Well the usage of X kind of contradicts Spanish grammar, so it ends up being a bit ironic that a term that's supposed to be inclusive is excluding the people that speak the language. Which is why it's not really gaining traction in the Spanish community. I've seen Latine being used more than Latinx by the Latin trans community more as it grammatically makes more sense to them, easier for them to pronounce, and fits the bill of inclusivity.

I think the word Latin in of itself is inclusive because it could be any gender. That's the way it's always been. You do make a point about people who want to label LatinX as inclusive are making it exclusive. Think about the English speaking territories in the Americas like the USA, Canada, and parts of the Caribbean. We don't call it Anglo America or Germanic America. Nobody is saying AngloX or Anglo, Angla, Angle. And of course nobody ever says Anglo America. But it is a region of English speaking territories from England. So I don't understand why Anglos want to make Latin inclusive and not Anglo. ??? lol

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I think the word Latin in of itself is inclusive because it could be any gender. That's the way it's always been. You do make a point about people who want to label LatinX as inclusive are making it exclusive. Think about the English speaking territories in the Americas like the USA, Canada, and parts of the Caribbean. We don't call it Anglo America or Germanic America. Nobody is saying AngloX or Anglo, Angla, Angle. And of course nobody ever says Anglo America. But it is a region of English speaking territories from England. So I don't understand why Anglos want to make Latin inclusive and not Anglo. ??? lol

Iirc the term Latino(a) was created by the immigrants from the region in the US, whereas the English speakers never felt the need to use a unifying name outside of a largely academic use. There wouldn’t be a need for something like AngloX because English isn’t a gendered language.

I don’t know the ethnicity of the creator(s) of the term Latinx, but it definitely wasn’t someone who spoke a Latin language. Though the whole political correctness and inclusivity movement does have a sizable group of people who, while have their hearts in the right places, are pushing for this stuff based out of ignorance. There’s definitely a savior complex with some of these individuals/groups.

I’m a minority, and it’s always weird for me to see someone outside of my ethnicity getting offended on our behalf over things most of us really don’t care about, yet turn a blind eye to things we actually do find offensive.

I’ve been looking into this more and kind of gathered pieces of information here and there and I’m not claiming to be 100% correct, but just bringing info to the table. Supposedly languages have evolved a lot over the centuries in relation to gender and is still changing today in a natural evolution of language. Centuries ago some authors used gender neutral words. And even the past decades some countries have been changing words. Most recently that I know of being Sweden in 2015 added a gender neutral word to their dictionary, (hen) pronoun instead of using (hon or han) which means he or she.

The Latin language vs Old English: Old English used a grammatical gender language using masculine, feminine, and neuter nouns that do not describe a natural sex. Latin differs in that it uses both grammatical and natural gender using masculine, feminine, and neuter nouns. Old English eventually evolved into modern English in the 1200-1300’s by dropping the grammatical gender nouns and that is why English is not a gendered language. The evolution of the Latin language actually dropped the neuter nouns and kept the gender nouns giving way to Romance Latin languages like Spanish.

Which brings us to today where the language continues to evolve in the USA and Latin America and the USA is caught in political crosshairs but it supposedly was not the whites who promoted it.

“White people did not make up Latinx,” he says. “It was queer Latinx people... They are the ones who used the word. Our little subgroup of the community created that. It was created by English-speaking U.S. Latinx people for use in English conversation.”

https://www.history.com/news/hispanic-latino-latinx-chicano-background

Also in this article from History Channel, says that the movement could have started in the early 2000’s and became more popular the past decade, but still only 4% of Latins use LatinX.

With today’s political divisions and inclusivity, brings about exclusivity. So what I believe will eventually happen is some words will be changed in the dictionary, and the exclusivity types will want to ban dictionaries if not outright ban non gender conforming people themselves. I thought LatinX was ridiculous at first, but we are seeing the natural evolution of language. A huge problem however, is that Spanish is not Old English or Old Latin. It's a highly gendered language. The whole language will have to change. And if it does change, they would have to bring back (neuter) nouns and Spanish would reverse back to Old Latin or something??????????? And drop the natural gender nouns while integrating the grammatical gender nouns. So maybe in the next 500 years Latina America will be speaking a New Latin non gendered language. Never know. These things have happened before over a span of hundreds of years.