Register Now
Smokey

Is VR a gimmick?

It seems more and more VR headsets are being released. PS VR2 is coming out for PS5, that said, do you feel VR is a gimmick or fad that will fade away with time? Or do you think it's here to stay? Do you own a VR headset? Do you plan on getting one?  I may pick up a PSVR2 in the future, but i'm not sure yet, being someone who wears glasses, that's always been a concern for me.

I do feel that it has become somewhat of a gimmick if I am honest especially with just about everyone jumping on the VR train and releasing their own. I know my youngest keeps asking me for a VR headset, but I have often been put off by the price as they are not exactly cheap and I also feel that if I was to purchase one, I would purchase it for the whole family and not just one person especially for the price. I guess my concern would be that I myself and also my youngest suffer from motion sickness and I had heard that VR can bring on motion sickness and I would hate to have purchased one and then some of us not be able to use it. 

When I hear the word gimmick, I think of things that came and went. I think VR is only getting more popular as the devices keep getting better and better. As well, VR is becoming more affordable to get into. 

When I think of gimmick, I think of 3D TVs, or those shock collars you can get for VR where it lets you feel pain. 

VR in my opinion has staying power. Most gimmicks don't. 

I feel that the console VR may be a gimmick, but the the actual headsets dedicated to VR like Oculus isn’t a gimmick. I’ve never used the console type VR so that is only my opinion on it and I could be very wrong. I have used Oculus and no doubt it will get better and better. The graphics are in its early stages. But games that aren’t emphasized or defined by realism is especially awesome in VR. I will never forget playing a roller coaster game in VR and it’s seriously very real to me, despite not having perfect graphics; the feeling of falling at high speed and all that. Sit down or you will fall over no doubt. I think Meta is vulnerable these days. Not to go into politics, but there certainly is many outside factors that can slow down VR progression. That’s why it’s not a good idea to have social media involved with a gaming line. But VR is no gimmick. It’s the future of gaming. Musk’s gaming brain chips for Neuralink is a gimmick. That’s when Frankenstein meets Hyde

On 11/29/2022 at 5:12 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I feel that the console VR may be a gimmick, but the the actual headsets dedicated to VR like Oculus isn’t a gimmick. I’ve never used the console type VR so that is only my opinion on it and I could be very wrong. I have used Oculus and no doubt it will get better and better. The graphics are in its early stages. But games that aren’t emphasized or defined by realism is especially awesome in VR. I will never forget playing a roller coaster game in VR and it’s seriously very real to me, despite not having perfect graphics; the feeling of falling at high speed and all that. Sit down or you will fall over no doubt. I think Meta is vulnerable these days. Not to go into politics, but there certainly is many outside factors that can slow down VR progression. That’s why it’s not a good idea to have social media involved with a gaming line. But VR is no gimmick. It’s the future of gaming. Musk’s gaming brain chips for Neuralink is a gimmick. That’s when Frankenstein meets Hyde

This is a very good point. My brother-in-law bought the first version of Playstation VR and he barely uses it now. It's just sat collecting dust.  I feel like PSVR2 will be more of the same.  SOmething like an occulus probably has more staying power as it's a dedicated VR headset and not an add-on for a pre-existing non-VR console.

The people that call VR a gimmick and claim to have tried it are more often than not, liars. They will say they have tried it in order to dismiss your point and maintain their position that it is a gimmick. Most won't have actually tried it and of the one's that have, it is usually just something like phone VR and not premium tier VR.

After playing with my first VR headset over the holidays, I will say that it is far from a gimmick. Honestly I thought it was a blast. I didn't get dizzy or sick or anything. It was a sweaty experience, but that's my life in general lol. 

VR like I said before, has staying power and I don't see it going away anytime soon. Now that they're getting even better with each new release, I think VR will be a big part of gaming's future. 

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I wouldn't say it's a gimmick but VR is still going through a transitional phase of sorts to take it from an afterthought to something that can become a more integral way of interacting with virtual worlds.

I feel like we're at a point where VR is highly adoptable for most gamers. You can get an Meta Quest 2 for around $400-$500. You don't need a PC for it either, it has its own marketplace and games. It's not as good as a Valve VR or whatever other VR headsets are out there. I tried my nephews on my PC and it didn't work so great. You either need a really good PC to play it in VR on PC or it just doesn't work. 

It's more affordable than ever, and I think it's here to stay. I think soon enough Xbox will put one out, or they will let gamers use any VR headset on the market, which would be huge for them I think. 

It would be nice to see more VR games, and really good ones. Like the Half Life Alyx game, and a few others. 

On 1/23/2023 at 3:03 PM, Kane99 said:

I feel like we're at a point where VR is highly adoptable for most gamers. You can get an Meta Quest 2 for around $400-$500. You don't need a PC for it either, it has its own marketplace and games. It's not as good as a Valve VR or whatever other VR headsets are out there. I tried my nephews on my PC and it didn't work so great. You either need a really good PC to play it in VR on PC or it just doesn't work. 

It's more affordable than ever, and I think it's here to stay. I think soon enough Xbox will put one out, or they will let gamers use any VR headset on the market, which would be huge for them I think. 

It would be nice to see more VR games, and really good ones. Like the Half Life Alyx game, and a few others. 

I know it's here to stay but it's adoption rate isn't all that great and as seen with the Metaverse, not many people fancy virtual worlds as yet. Microsoft and other companies have shut down their Meta divisions and Meta has moved away from VR to AI machine learning and that should tell you that VR still has some ways to go.