Register Now
Kane99

Returnal PC Recommends 32GB of RAM for best quality

Wow, my current PC setup may not be able to handle some future games if this becomes the norm. According the Steam page for Returnal, it recommends 32GB of RAM. The minimum specs I should be able to match, but it's starting to look like I might need to update a little, maybe just RAM, but still, just shows how big games are going to get going forwards, and I fear I will have to update a PC in the next year or two if I really want to take advantage of the games dropping in the future. 

Read more about this here: https://wccftech.com/returnal-pc-requirements-detailed-no-crossplay-with-ps5/

Are you going to be able to get the PC version? Or will you just pick up the PS5 version? 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Wow, my current PC setup may not be able to handle some future games if this becomes the norm. According the Steam page for Returnal, it recommends 32GB of RAM. The minimum specs I should be able to match, but it's starting to look like I might need to update a little, maybe just RAM, but still, just shows how big games are going to get going forwards, and I fear I will have to update a PC in the next year or two if I really want to take advantage of the games dropping in the future. 

Read more about this here: https://wccftech.com/returnal-pc-requirements-detailed-no-crossplay-with-ps5/

Are you going to be able to get the PC version? Or will you just pick up the PS5 version? 

Some PC specifications detail what resolutions the game will be running at using the specified configuration, and quite frankly, we are at a point whare they all should be doing that because that has a massive affect of the load on the hardware. It could be that those specs are based upon running a game at 4K, but there's no way to know. Whatever the case, this could be the most demanding game on PC that we have seen to date, it's certainly the most demanding game on PC that I have seen. It is inevitable for 32GB of RAM to become practically necessary to play new games. I would hold off on upgrading just a little longer, though, see if we get more info on whether or not this applies to full HD of 4K.

I'm kind of glad I got an "okay" gaming PC at a great price two-ish years ago, since we got a PS5. Means I won't feel like I gimped myself since I mainly play MMOs and games specifically made for PC on it, and generally play more games on console anyways. 32GB just sounds unreal to me.

Well, why are we so surprised, it takes 100+ GB to download most modern games and every update is an extra 10+ GB (looking at you COD) and games went from 8GB to 16GB as the recommended. That being said, 32 is excessive, if they said 24GB, I could understand as that would be natural progression - why does a game need 32 GB of RAM. Is the game world that massive and detailed?

3 hours ago, Smokey said:

That seems pretty excessive.......the PS5 doesn't even have that much RAM lol. 

It's likely a PC exclusive so it kind of makes more sense but that's still excessive. I just didn't think we'd need 32 GB to run games so soon. 

Yeah, that is pretty excessive... I just bought a new gaming laptop with 'only' 16GB of RAM. So, if this becomes the norm, I won't be able to play most new games properly (unless I upgrade my RAM, which I may very well end up doing at this rate!)

Oh wow! I only have 16GB of ram in my PC and that is now 5 years old nearly. I never expected any game to need that much RAM at all. That is crazy! I guess if anyone wants to be able to pick this game up, they are gonna need to either have the RAM or going to need to be making an upgrade. It really is very excessive. 

On 2/14/2023 at 11:48 PM, Shortie said:

Oh wow! I only have 16GB of ram in my PC and that is now 5 years old nearly. I never expected any game to need that much RAM at all. That is crazy! I guess if anyone wants to be able to pick this game up, they are gonna need to either have the RAM or going to need to be making an upgrade. It really is very excessive. 

16GB is the minimum nowdays. Used to be 8GB and now it's not. When it comes to gaming you really need 32gb 🙂 even so when I'm in gaming like MSFS2020 it's using 22gb if not more. 

On 2/17/2023 at 7:21 AM, Empire said:

16GB is the minimum nowdays. Used to be 8GB and now it's not. When it comes to gaming you really need 32gb 🙂 even so when I'm in gaming like MSFS2020 it's using 22gb if not more. 

Yep, my gaming laptop is at 32gb as well and an increasing number of games are coming out with a 16gb requirement.