Register Now
Shortie

Did you play Pacman growing up?

One of the games I remember playing a lot as a child was Pacman. I remember how addictive this game would be when I was a kid and how my parents would always struggle to get me off the game to get ready for bed or even ready for school. It's a really addictive but fun game and the fun part for me was always trying to beat my high score. I am so happy that we now have the ability to play Pacman in the form of a Battle Royale game on the Nintendo Switch as it means I can still play the game but in a more fast paced way.ย 

Did you play Pacman growing up and have you played the Battle Royale version on the Nintendo Switch?

Of course! I always played it whenever I went to a place that had a pacman arcade machine. My local Pizza Hut at the time had one, along with a Galaga machine and I would always play PacMan while waiting for our pizza to be done. At one point I had the high score on that machine, didn't last too long though cuz about a month or two after getting that score, I returned to find me knocked down 2 slots ๐Ÿ˜›

It's always a fun time when you hit the top spot but such a bummer when you find out that someone managed to knock you off that top spot in the end and it's always a pain to be able to try and get the top spot back as well no matter how hard you try. I mean I still try when it happens but it usually seems to take forever!ย 

5 minutes ago, Shortie said:

It's always a fun time when you hit the top spot but such a bummer when you find out that someone managed to knock you off that top spot in the end and it's always a pain to be able to try and get the top spot back as well no matter how hard you try. I mean I still try when it happens but it usually seems to take forever!ย 

Yup! unfortunately that location no longer exists. I wonder what places like that do with the arcade machines when they close? I wonder if someone buys em off them or something.......I would love to get a couple of those Arcade1Up machines for my basement. ๐Ÿ˜› Maybe one day....

My uncle had a bar where he had a pac-man machine. At the time I didn't know what pac-man was, but I have memories of playing Pac-man in that bar, how I don't know, I was a kid, but I guess my family went there often to visit my uncle, and Id be taken along. Kinda wish he still owned the arcades he had, because I wouldn't have minded buying one from him.ย 

I had a Colecovision, which had a game called Ladybug. It was more or less a Pac-Man clone, but different characters in it. I knew some people who had an Atari 2600, and I played it on their system all the time. I was more into Frogger and Pitfall, but Pac-Man was definitely one of the best games ever made.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I've played Pacman on so many gaming platforms, I can't actually think of one I owned that I didn't play Pacman on barring my Nintendo Switch which I got fairly recently. But knowing how things work, I'll probably end up with a Pacman game at some point.

They do have a Battle Royale Pacman game which I believe is free if you have Nintendo Switch online. You play Pacman normally but go up against others on who lasts the longest. It's a lot of fun for sure and well worth it if you already own Nintendo Online and you get it as part of that. I haven't played it in a while but I have heard that it's still very popular.

I subscribed to Nintendo Online for a while, but got no enjoyment from it so I cancelled my.... "subscription" I guess you would call it. The only ting I do online with my Switch is buy and download games. I have so damn many DDL's that I haven't even gotten around to playing them all. There's 124 DDL's on my switch right now. So, yeah. A lot to get to.

59 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I subscribed to Nintendo Online for a while, but got no enjoyment from it so I cancelled my.... "subscription" I guess you would call it. The only ting I do online with my Switch is buy and download games. I have so damn many DDL's that I haven't even gotten around to playing them all. There's 124 DDL's on my switch right now. So, yeah. A lot to get to.

Oh my that is a lot to get through. I thought I was bad with all what I have on my Switch that I haven't played yet. I have Nintendo Online at the moment which gets used a lot by my kids who play Just Dance online and also play things like Nintendo Switch Sports online so it does get used quite a lot. It's not a bad price at all for a year either and well worth it for how much they use. I always say though, are you even a gamer if you don't have a huge backlog? LOL

2 hours ago, Shortie said:

Oh my that is a lot to get through. I thought I was bad with all what I have on my Switch that I haven't played yet. I have Nintendo Online at the moment which gets used a lot by my kids who play Just Dance online and also play things like Nintendo Switch Sports online so it does get used quite a lot. It's not a bad price at all for a year either and well worth it for how much they use. I always say though, are you even a gamer if you don't have a huge backlog? LOL

My Switch log isnโ€™t even all the games on it. I have several carts as well. Also you have to consider the other systems I actually play, not just own.

NES
SNES
N64
Atari 2600
Sega Genesis
PS1
PS3
PS4
PS5
Game Boy
Xbox One
ย 

Thereโ€™s easily 1,000 games in that list. As for systems we own that we donโ€™t actually play, thereโ€™s Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, Game Cube, Wii, and DS/3DS systems.

We donโ€™t play our Xboxโ€™s very often, but we do play them on occasion.

Who has not played it ๐Ÿ˜›ย And who wants to start playing it now ๐Ÿ˜›ย Good old days ๐Ÿ™‚I think the great weakness of packman was it just didn't empower or offer an immediat or even long term reward for playing well, the world was just empty, but this is a staple feeling from games of that era.

The same can be said for many games. The thing that was a draw for Pac-Man was that it was originally an arcade game like you would see in bowling alleys, drug stores, and restaurants in those times. People would get playing it and want that high score. So there was a hell of a demand for a turn playing. That fueled"Pac-Man fever" as it has been called. Then when it was released on home console, people were so into the game, that it sold like wildfire, and had a shitload of spinoffs, such as Ms Pac-Man, and Pac-Man Junior. Then there were a lot of spinoffs like Ladybug on the Colecovision. Everyone wanted their slice of the Pac-Man pie, and most got it. It also can't be forgotten that a lot of people bought their Atari for that one and only game.

On 12/21/2022 at 2:26 PM, Shortie said:

They do have a Battle Royale Pacman game which I believe is free if you have Nintendo Switch online. You play Pacman normally but go up against others on who lasts the longest. It's a lot of fun for sure and well worth it if you already own Nintendo Online and you get it as part of that. I haven't played it in a while but I have heard that it's still very popular.

I'll check it out for sure although to be honest, I'm not so much into Battle Royale games nowadays.

11 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The same can be said for many games. The thing that was a draw for Pac-Man was that it was originally an arcade game like you would see in bowling alleys, drug stores, and restaurants in those times. People would get playing it and want that high score. So there was a hell of a demand for a turn playing. That fueled"Pac-Man fever" as it has been called. Then when it was released on home console, people were so into the game, that it sold like wildfire, and had a shitload of spinoffs, such as Ms Pac-Man, and Pac-Man Junior. Then there were a lot of spinoffs like Ladybug on the Colecovision. Everyone wanted their slice of the Pac-Man pie, and most got it. It also can't be forgotten that a lot of people bought their Atari for that one and only game.

That's how I first encountered Pacman as a kid - it was at an Arcade with my older brother.