Register Now
The Blackangel

Nintendo owners: What was your first Nintendo system? What did you think of it?

My first was the NES. I go a year after it hit the western market, and was blown away. Coming from someone who played a Colecovision previously, the graphics were so advanced and lifelike. You have to remember that everything prior was 2 bit graphics, whereas the NES was 8 bit graphics. SMB was the pinnacle and cutting edge of gaming. Everyone who had an NES was playing it constantly, and everyone who didn't own one was begging to play. I still love the system to this day. I have more than 100 games for it, and everytime I play one, I fall more in love than the day before. I would have to say my favorite is an old classic: The Legend Of Zelda. Several great entries in the franchise have been great, yet some were pure shit. At least in my opinion. But no matter what they do with Zelda, no entry will ever compare to the first one. It was, and still is, a true masterpiece.

And it was the NES that brought it to us. Hence (again this is opinion) it was and is the greatest system ever released. Not just Nintendo, but all around. Better than any PlayStation or Xbox.

I remember my very first Nintendo console being the Gameboy if I remember rightly. It was not long after that we got a Super Nintendo for me and my brothers to share one Christmas and then we used to use the Gameboy for on the go and travelling and the Super Nintendo for at home and family game nights. We never actually ever got the NES and Super Nintendo was out first one. I often hate the fact that I missed out on the NES but my parents weren't exactly rich and they did what they could for us. My favourite game on the Super Nintendo was always Yoshi's Island. 

The NES for me as well. My parents owned an NES when I was growing up, I don't remember when we got it, if it was before I was born, I don't know. But it was the first ever console I played on. As a kid, I thought it was magic, it was so cool. I still think it's cool, but as a kid, you just have this sense of wonder about gaming. Now days I lose that wonder with gaming, but as a kid, that's when it was the best. I wish I could go back and relive the time I played my first video game. I think that'd be cool. 

My first Nintendo system growing up was the Super Nintendo. My older brother bought a toploading NES a few years later and a bunch of games for it, which I later inherited, but my very first Nintendo console was the SNES. I really enjoyed it, especially the Mario games and the RPG's like Final Fantasy 3 and Chrono Trigger that were big titles on it. 

The first Nintendo "console" I got was the original brick Gameboy in 1999. I grew up with the Genesis so I was a Sega kid until the late 90's. As for my first actual Nintendo console it was the N64, I got mine in 2002 from my cousins. I remember it came with 1080 and Ready to Rumble boxing. Those were the only games they owned, they rented games more than purchasing them.

I had the original NES, which was a major upgrade to home video games. Previous to that, I had Intellivision and my friend had Atari. When the NES came out, it felt like we had the power of arcade games right in our living room.

I was an instant fan, and in the years that followed moved onto Super Nintendo, and then the N64. Then adulting and other interestes took over and I completely missed the Game Cube years. But I had kids when the Wii came out and we did purchase that. We skipped the Wii U.

My kids have Switches, but I haven't played much on those.