Register Now
Smokey

Would you have wanted a true successor to the Dreamcast instead?

Instead of the original xbox, if Sega survived the console wars, do you think a true sega-branded successor to the Dreamcast would've been a better option? Or do you like how things played out with the xbox? Originally, Sega wanted the Xbox to be backwards compatible w/ the Dreamcast but Microsoft pulled out of that deal and it never happened. 

Do you think a true Sega-backed Dreamcast successor would've done better? Would they still be making consoles today?

The Xbox still would have come out whether Sega released a new console or not. I feel they would have jumped in at some point. Anyway, I don't think Sega could compete at the time. They had two failed consoles in a row on their hand, and things weren't getting better. I doubt them shipping out a third console would have saved them. If anything it probably could have killed them outright. Three failures wouldn't look good. So I think it was right of Sega to move their work to publishing/developing games instead of making consoles. 

If anything, I think they should have put more time into making handhelds. Their handhelds were popular and I am willing to bet if they shifted to a more mobile market, they could have at least stuck somewhat in the hardware market. And hey, they are kinda back with their classic consoles. So maybe that will interest them in making a new console one of these days. 

It's interesting to think about for sure, but I'm not sure if things would be much different had the Dreamcast sold its fair share. SEGA might not have gone under, but I doubt they would've made another console afterwards. A lot of people believe the Dreamcast is why SEGA basically dissolved... it's not.

They made a lot of bad decisions and very poor marketing for many years before the Dreamcast.

It's definitely something that does get you thinking but I do feel that even if Sega did release on, Microsoft would have still gone their way and created one anyway, this could very well be why they pulled out because they had plans to release something themselves anyway. It makes no sense though as to why Sega didn't release one anyway, it would have been interesting to see what they came up with. 

The problem with Sega around that time is that they kept wanting to make new consoles. The Sega Saturn came out with little fanfare and they decided to move on to the Dreamcast soon after. And I'm pretty sure there was a point where Sega was in talks about making yet another console after the Dreamcast before they inevitably decided it was time to call it quits on making consoles. 

I may be wrong on that, but I swear that's what Sega did. They messed up by making too many new consoles too soon. 

On 1/24/2023 at 11:14 PM, Kane99 said:

The problem with Sega around that time is that they kept wanting to make new consoles. The Sega Saturn came out with little fanfare and they decided to move on to the Dreamcast soon after. And I'm pretty sure there was a point where Sega was in talks about making yet another console after the Dreamcast before they inevitably decided it was time to call it quits on making consoles. 

I may be wrong on that, but I swear that's what Sega did. They messed up by making too many new consoles too soon. 

That would make sense. If they were releasing consoles so quickly and not even working on the consoles or bringing anything else to the table with the consoles they already had released, it's understandable that they would flop. Not many people will jump on a console that wouldn't have such a big life expectancy only to then find out they were releasing another one so soon after, many would see it as a waste of money to keep putting money into something the developers were not all that interested in working on. 

On 2/4/2023 at 5:10 PM, Shortie said:

That would make sense. If they were releasing consoles so quickly and not even working on the consoles or bringing anything else to the table with the consoles they already had released, it's understandable that they would flop. Not many people will jump on a console that wouldn't have such a big life expectancy only to then find out they were releasing another one so soon after, many would see it as a waste of money to keep putting money into something the developers were not all that interested in working on. 

Sega was too ambitious, and wanted to stay ahead of everyone I think. The Dreamcast was a great console for the time, but after the Saturn, I think people had soured on Sega because of it. The Dreamcast could have sold well, but I think it came out too late. Especially since the PS2 was just two years away, and had better hardware and graphics. So Sega either had to get started on yet another console, or just move on. I think they made the right choice, because if they went up against the PS2, I don't think we'd be hearing Sega in talks as much these days. 

Maybe. I had a second-hand Dreamcast as a child, but after Sega pulled out of that business, I just went back to PC gaming and never looked back.

If there was a true successor to the Dreamcast, then I may well have got it and stuck with console gaming!

I would have loved a successor to Dreamcast! I never owned one as a kid and never got to experience and play games on it. 

On 2/5/2023 at 5:08 PM, Kane99 said:

The Dreamcast could have sold well, but I think it came out too late. Especially since the PS2 was just two years away, and had better hardware and graphics. So Sega either had to get started on yet another console, or just move on. I think they made the right choice, because if they went up against the PS2, I don't think we'd be hearing Sega in talks as much these days. 

Agree. I think that it is fine with what happened with the Dreamcast looking back.