Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

What would aliens think about humans playing video games?

If aliens came down to Earth to study humans, what would they think about us playing video games? They would see us killing each other and running around destroyed cities full of monsters, or zombies. Would aliens think those zombies are real? What about ghosts and demons? Would they think that was real too? Would they think an apocalypse survival game is a simulation preparing for an event the aliens don't know about? What if the game has an alien that actually looks like a real alien and you are trying to kill them? Would the real aliens automatically think humans are are genocidal maniacs? What if you as a human traveled to another planet and discovered aliens playing games depicting monsters that look like humans and the aliens are slaughtering them. Would the aliens dissect our brains while we game so they can study us??? Ok ok, too far? 

I hope they wouldn't think any less of us. They probably need their down-time just as much as we humans do - and they probably need escapism to get away from all the problems that their civilisation has.

Heck, they may very well have video games of their own - or at least, something very much like them!

I think they would probably be intrigued into what we were doing. Like Kyng said above, if they were real they'd probably need leisure time just like us. They'd probably have way better technology than we do and probably have video games embedded in their brains. 😛

There is a chance they may look at video games the same way as literature, music and artwork as expressions of our culture (And I'd say they should), but because video games are an expression of our technology as much as anything else, I do see it being more likely they'll see it the way @killamch89 described. If this alien civilisation was advanced enough to have the technology to reach us, odds are they would see video games as jejune and puerile.

Edited by Shagger

If aliens were to come down to earth, I would think they would be interested to know what gaming was and that they would be curious to see what we were doing. Hopefully they would also want to get involved with gaming themselves and possibly get into gaming much like us.

Would be interesting to see. 

On 4/7/2023 at 5:53 PM, Kyng said:

I hope they wouldn't think any less of us. They probably need their down-time just as much as we humans do - and they probably need escapism to get away from all the problems that their civilisation has.

Heck, they may very well have video games of their own - or at least, something very much like them!

I wonder what escapism would be for aliens, traveling to Earth and brain fry us??? 😆

On 4/23/2023 at 8:37 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I wonder what escapism would be for aliens, traveling to Earth and brain fry us??? 😆

I'd hope not... although it wouldn't surprise me if their games involved brain-frying generic aliens not based on any specific civilisation 😛 .

On 4/18/2023 at 2:04 PM, The Blackangel said:

They would probably think the same thing I did the first time I saw @Rain Dew playing RDR2. I asked her what movie she was watching.

I don't know, it's likely that if they had technology to travel across space they'd probably have an idea of what videogames are. If anything, they'd be like those tryhards in a gaming Youtuber's comments trashtalking them. They'd probably turn us into some kind of wildlife series - it'd probably be Spacetube or something.

On 4/30/2023 at 12:51 PM, killamch89 said:

I don't know, it's likely that if they had technology to travel across space they'd probably have an idea of what videogames are. If anything, they'd be like those tryhards in a gaming Youtuber's comments trashtalking them. They'd probably turn us into some kind of wildlife series - it'd probably be Spacetube or something.

Their wildlife series would be some kind of game like Tropico or Battleship as they take control of armies and fight battles while they watch it eating slimy nachos on Spacetube. 

I would imagine aliens come from a culture with fantasy ideas and made up stories like us. I think they would understand that we have interactive stories based on our own folklore and legends that we don't seriously believe anymore-- because I would imagine they have their own cultural stories and ideas.

I'd like to imagine aliens visiting Earth in whatever they have for cargo shorts and socks with sandals. Tacky tourist stuff. Speaking slowly and loudly at the poor hotel front desk agent who can't even begin to process their alien language. I'd like to think people are all the same-- even the people who might not strictly be people. (Can a non-human alien have personhood?)