Register Now
Shortie

A sport that you would not class as a sport?

There are many different kinds of sports at the moment some of which you can see why they are classed as a sport and others that fall under the sports category but do not really seem like they are a sport at all. 

When it comes to different kinds of sports, which ones would you not class as sport even though they fall under the sport category? 

Tennis is number one to me. A spectator is going to need a neck brace halfway in because the only thing they do is look from left to right  for however long it takes. And don't even get me started on that bullshit scoring system.

Golf would be a second one. Whack the ball, get in the cart. Whack the ball, get in the cart. Whack the ball, get in the cart. Whack the ball, get in the cart. What the ball into the water, get pissed, throw your clubs in with it.

A few dishonorable mentions are badminton, cricket, ping pong, handball and (🤢🤮) quiddtich.

This Wikipedia page lists more than I'm going to try.

A sport, to me, is a challenge of the traits that make us human. This challenge can be a test of a number of different things including physical capabilities, competitive spirt, skill, timing, fitness, grace, strategy, teamwork, skill and even technology. My scope for what counts as a sport is, as a result, very broad and I can't really think of anything that I would say didn't count...

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

quiddtich

...except that as that is fictional...

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I don't believe hunting is a sport because the victim isn't playing. 

... and also that. Hunting can be justified, but not as a sport.

With all due respect to @The Blackangel, I think with the sports you listed the line between sports you don't like is blurring with those that "don't count" as sports. I despise cricket as much as the any reasonable person would, but me not liking it isn't a justifiable reason to conclude that it's not a sport. I also can't stand football (soccer), but I'm not prepared to say that sport isn't a sport just because I hate it.

I wholeheartedly disagree with you on Tennis and Ping Pong. Those games are very competitive takes so much physicality and training to play those types of games well. Golf also requires a huge amount of practice, precision and logic to play well, even if it is one of those sports whare you're really playing against yourself, but still very much counts as a sport.

My point is there is a difference between something not being a sport and one  simple not liking it.

14 hours ago, Shagger said:

With all due respect to @The Blackangel, I think with the sports you listed the line between sports you don't like is blurring with those that "don't count" as sports. I despise cricket as much as the any reasonable person would, but me not liking it isn't a justifiable reason to conclude that it's not a sport. I also can't stand football (soccer), but I'm not prepared to say that sport isn't a sport just because I hate it.

I wasn't listing sports/games that I didn't like. Just ones that don't ring out as "sport" to me. If I was listing ones I didn't like, baseball would have topped the list. I personally hate baseball. But it's still a sport.

As for quidditch, it has become a real game. There is a quidditch league here. How they altered it around to make it playable to people who aren't flying around on brooms, I don't know. But it has moved beyond Rowling into the world of reality.

Cornhole and thongs are 2 things that changed their definition which bugs the hell out of me. Cornhole used to bean asshole. Thongs used to be those cheap foam sandals that you would typically wear to the beach. Now thongs are butt floss. I'll post a pic of them, but to get back on topic, I made a beanbag set to play what is now called cornhole. It's not hard in any way. Just find someone who can sew to make the bags, and get some wood to make the game targets. But don't call it fucking cornhole. What's next? Is "car" suddenly going to mean comb?

This is a thong:

Thong 1.jpg

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Cornhole used to bean asshole

And this was because "getting cornholed" is something that might happen to you in prison if you crossed paths with Bubba, lol.

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Thongs used to be those cheap foam sandals that you would typically wear to the beach. Now thongs are butt floss.

I just looked at the pic of the sandals and made the connection. The strap that wraps around your foot and between the toes looks just like the strap that wraps around the waist and between the legs.

4 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

And this was because "getting cornholed" is something that might happen to you in prison if you crossed paths with Bubba, lol.

Rim jobs happen outside prison too. I know people that are into that sort of thing. Personally, I’m not playing tongue hockey with anyone’s asshole. 

Well, WWE and all that is for entertainment.

Speaking of which, Survivor Series: WarGames was airing late last night. I was surprised to see both face teams won the cage matches with the heel factions, as I was thinking they would have provided balance in that regard. However, both of the bouts were awesome. 🤼‍♂️ 🤼‍♀️

Then right at the end, CM Punk finally made his return to the company. The crowd went absolutely crazy when his music hit. 😊

On 2/10/2024 at 7:18 PM, killamch89 said:

This isn't a sport. This is just plain stupidity and I've seen even more absurd ones they're trying to call a "sport"

The fact that there's a CHAMPIONSHIP and a damn crowd doesn't make this display of dumbassery valid for anything other than pissing each other off. Why the hell would did anyone get into this stupid shit. Better yet, HOW THE FUCK DID THIS IDIOCY EVEN GET STARTED???? I have only ever come across one reason for people to be slapping each other. If you've played RDR2 you've seen it. It's an attempt to sober each other up.

On 2/12/2024 at 3:13 PM, The Blackangel said:

The fact that there's a CHAMPIONSHIP and a damn crowd doesn't make this display of dumbassery valid for anything other than pissing each other off. Why the hell would did anyone get into this stupid shit. Better yet, HOW THE FUCK DID THIS IDIOCY EVEN GET STARTED???? I have only ever come across one reason for people to be slapping each other. If you've played RDR2 you've seen it. It's an attempt to sober each other up.

I'm not sure to be honest. I just remember this appearing in my YouTube feed for some reason. This is just caveman savagery. I don't even know what to think about it and the fact that it's sponsored by a few major brands is interesting to say the least.