Register Now
Kennysplash

Do you get the same excitement video games used to give you as a kid?

Perhaps due to absence of responsibility, or the novelty of gaming, I would be so excited to play Prince of Persia after school, and then the next day we boys would gather together and discuss it at length. 

Or is it the thrill of gathering to play multiplayer games?
Even the thought of having a game waiting for you can have me excited throughout the day.
But I don’t get those anymore. Maybe I have grown so used to it, hence the lesser excitement. Or there are bills to sort out now. 

If you were to compare now to when you were a teenager, do you still get the same excitement you got then? 

In my case, if anything I get more exited about games now than I did as a kid. I wasn't the most sociable child and whilst I did play video games with the friends I did have, back then it wasn't really the full on hobby that it is for me now. Yes, my pecimissum and cynissisum have definitely grown with time along with the rise of cooperate greed that plauges the industry today, but I do love gaming more as an adult that I did as a kid

It really depends on the game as to how excited I get to be honest, for example with Fortnite and the updates, I find that I get excited about those as much as I used to as a kid with a new game but others I don't seem to get as excited for.

15 hours ago, svjiminfxv said:

Sometimes. It depends on the game. 

I get excited to play games when a new season comes out, new features come out in a game or if a new game gets released.

The excitement has changed a lot for me as when I was younger, I was never too excited about games. 

So you mean you are more excited now than when you were younger? That means you have a way of keeping yourself engaged and immersed, maybe that is what I actually lost. I do miss the old days though. 

I don’t get the same excitement but that might be because I’m getting older and have less time as an adult. Thing is, having more responsibilities and things to do limits your time for gaming and when you do play you don’t think too much of it as you don’t play as much as you did compared to when you were a kid.

Honestly sometimes I get the same excitement as I did when I was a kid, but it's rare that I do. If it's a game I really love or have been looking forward to for a while, then I get that same thrill. I think when I was younger it was more thrilling to get a new game since I was a kid and obviously didn't have any money to buy new games so it was cool to get a brand new game that your parents or relatives think you'd enjoy, and then you get to read the back of the case and read the manual to see what the game is all about. I do miss those days.

Honestly it depends,

I haven't had time to sit and play any games that are new in years but I know for my game each time I get to try new content I'm hyped hyped hyped buttt it dies after a while,, I would kill to sit down with a fresh new game never before played and just get massively addicted to it for 90 days straight, make some new friends and larp around.,

Dark Souls/Path of Exile were the last 2 games that stole my soull

I think I got more excited by games as a kid than I did as an adult, but I don't play as much variety as I used to. The primary games I play are Pokemon GO and Call of Duty. I still get frustrated when I'm not doing well at a game or I cannot complete it. I used to bang my head against the controller as a kid when I couldn't win, now I just often verbally speak my mind when I'm not doing well in a game.

On 1/25/2024 at 6:18 AM, Empire Of Sight said:

Honestly it depends,

I haven't had time to sit and play any games that are new in years but I know for my game each time I get to try new content I'm hyped hyped hyped buttt it dies after a while,, I would kill to sit down with a fresh new game never before played and just get massively addicted to it for 90 days straight, make some new friends and larp around.,

Dark Souls/Path of Exile were the last 2 games that stole my soull

When we were younger our curiosities do not go unsatisfied. Whatever we desire we don’t stop until we have it. It’s different now as adults, just give it some time and we are over whatever piques our curiosity. 
I would also love to sit and game like I used to, but it’s all different now. 

Well, for me it depends on the kind of game that I'm playing right now as an adult. When I was still a kid, it didn't matter. I love playing any kind of video game but now my preferences have ripped very well. So, how good a game is would determine how excited I'm going to be playing it. 

Man this question brings back some memories. When I was a kid gaming, I got excited often in a different way than I do now. Back then I used to love going to the movie rental store and look for Nintendo games to play for a couple days. I would stay up all night trying to beat the games. Me and my friends would go to the gas station right down the road to play arcade games, then get a whole bunch of candy, bubble tape bubble gum and load our mouths full of gum, and make slurpies with mixed sodas. We were sugar crazed kids. It’s a different excitement now because we have such state of the art consoles and games, including VR, and I know the next game will be so immersive, to bring a fantasy that is much needed in my life. As a kid I was excited for entertainment and action and socialize with my friends, even though I gamed a lot alone too. But now I’m excited for the sheer graphical beauty, the immersion, story, fantasy. It’s two entirely different game periods with entirely different characteristics in gaming. Entire different mentalities in gaming, different needs, different standards. The excitement is there for me, but it’s different. Back then you pop in a game and play; perfect for a sugar crazed kid. Today I love to strategize, get deep in story and play alone. 

Edited by Reality vs Adventure

On 1/27/2024 at 7:58 PM, CoryAR said:

I think I got more excited by games as a kid than I did as an adult, but I don't play as much variety as I used to. The primary games I play are Pokemon GO and Call of Duty. I still get frustrated when I'm not doing well at a game or I cannot complete it. I used to bang my head against the controller as a kid when I couldn't win, now I just often verbally speak my mind when I'm not doing well in a game.

This is exactly how it worked for me as a kid. Mehn, I had literally no responsibility that have me much more committed to other things. So, it was literally me and playing video games. There was no way I wouldn't be excited to get a new game or in fact any game to play.