Register Now
DylanC

What's your favourite horror movies?

On 11/10/2018 at 12:04 PM, Jerlene said:

I'm not passionate about horror movies. I tried to be but I haven't been scared by a film in years. I do like Tales From The Crypt though. They had awesome short films that creeped me out.

I always get Tales From The Crypt and Creepshow both mixed up🤔 Both are anthology films focused on horror flicks. I've got a feeling I was really drunk when I watched Tales From The Crypt so I can't remember it too much, lol. Will try and dig it out and give it another watch some time.

Most horror movies bore me, since none are scary. But I like the supernatural and daemonic type of movies. I can't really pick any specifically, except Hellraiser. But only the ones that Doug Bradley was in. After he quit the series, I quit watching. He brought grace and manners to evil in a way no other could ever be compared to.

1. Alien
For me this movie is one of the best horror movies ever made since it focuses more on building atmosphere and tension over pure scares. It's a slow movie but it definitely earns its place in horror movie history as one of the most effective ever made.

2. Videodrome
Definitely more of a psychological horror flick that focuses on fears of technology and how it can affect us.

3. Eraserhead
David Lynch's debut feature film and probably his most terrifying. A psychological nightmarish movie about the fears of fatherhood and dealing with a lot of complex issues.

4. Paranormal Activity
The only movie that legitimately made me afraid of my own house.

5. Poltergeist
Still a powerful movie to watch. On par with Paranormal Activity for me.

6. Jacob's Ladder
One of the most depressing movies ever made but also one you can't take your eyes off. Won't spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it but it's one of the biggest "omfg" moments in movie history for me.

7. Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn
A semi-remake of the first Evil Dead, it adds a lot more humor into the mix and also gave birth to a horror movie icon in Ash Williams. Not sure if this is my favourite in the franchise or Army of Darkness but this one feels like more of a horror movie.

8. Hellraiser
The story of a family literally opening pandora's box, Clive Barker's debut film which is also based on his own book, is a wonderful take on the horror that comes from within and how one's past can come back to haunt you, literally.

9. The Thing
John Carpenter is probably one of my favourite directors of horror. And while I also enjoy Halloween a lot, The Thing is probably higher on the list for me. Amazing groundbreaking effects that still look great today, and not afraid to go for a bleak ending.

10. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Twin Peaks may have started out as a TV drama with horror elements but in this movie, those elements are brought to the surface entirely. The result is an amazingly captivating and terrifying experience unlike any I've experienced. My favourite thing about this movie though is how much it expands on the spiritual universe that was only touched on in the original series and laid the groundwork for the eventual followup to the original series that came out in 2017.

For me, it is the SAW series because of how gruesome the killings were. The Final Destination movies also scared the living hell out of me for the same reason as SAW - the gruesome killings. Paranormal Activity 2 was scary as hell - throughout watching the movie I remember looking around me every time I heard a sound. 

On 12/31/2018 at 1:26 AM, Alyxx said:

1. Alien
For me this movie is one of the best horror movies ever made since it focuses more on building atmosphere and tension over pure scares. It's a slow movie but it definitely earns its place in horror movie history as one of the most effective ever made.

2. Videodrome
Definitely more of a psychological horror flick that focuses on fears of technology and how it can affect us.

3. Eraserhead
David Lynch's debut feature film and probably his most terrifying. A psychological nightmarish movie about the fears of fatherhood and dealing with a lot of complex issues.

4. Paranormal Activity
The only movie that legitimately made me afraid of my own house.

5. Poltergeist
Still a powerful movie to watch. On par with Paranormal Activity for me.

6. Jacob's Ladder
One of the most depressing movies ever made but also one you can't take your eyes off. Won't spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it but it's one of the biggest "omfg" moments in movie history for me.

7. Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn
A semi-remake of the first Evil Dead, it adds a lot more humor into the mix and also gave birth to a horror movie icon in Ash Williams. Not sure if this is my favourite in the franchise or Army of Darkness but this one feels like more of a horror movie.

8. Hellraiser
The story of a family literally opening pandora's box, Clive Barker's debut film which is also based on his own book, is a wonderful take on the horror that comes from within and how one's past can come back to haunt you, literally.

9. The Thing
John Carpenter is probably one of my favourite directors of horror. And while I also enjoy Halloween a lot, The Thing is probably higher on the list for me. Amazing groundbreaking effects that still look great today, and not afraid to go for a bleak ending.

10. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Twin Peaks may have started out as a TV drama with horror elements but in this movie, those elements are brought to the surface entirely. The result is an amazingly captivating and terrifying experience unlike any I've experienced. My favourite thing about this movie though is how much it expands on the spiritual universe that was only touched on in the original series and laid the groundwork for the eventual followup to the original series that came out in 2017.

Superb list, Alyxx. I've seen all of those except the Twin Peaks flick (I've seen a few episodes but none of the movies). I used to love Eraserhead as a kid. Such a weird movie. The Thing is legit one of my personal faves. You seen The Void yet? That's very John Carpenter/The Thing-esque. 

Edited by DylanC

37 minutes ago, DylanC said:

Superb list, Alyxx. I've seen all of those except the Twin Peaks flick (I've seen a few episodes but none of the movies). I used to love Eraserhead as a kid. Such a weird movie. The Thing is legit one of my personal faves. You seen The Void yet? That's very John Carpenter/The Thing-esque. 

not yet. I'll put it on my watchlist.

Here are some of my favorites. 

1. Sinister 

2. Alien (1st movie)

3. Lost Voyage

4. Venom

5. VHS (3 movies all good)

These are some of my favorite movies. I know I may have forgot more than I have listed here.I am kind of fan of mystery and psychological. So that's one reason I have forgot about those type of the movies.