Jump to content
Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with the best and worst menu designs?

Recommended Posts

Which games do you feel have the best and worst menu systems?

I like the minimalism of the menus in The Las of Us a lot, but I do find them less than intuitive in some ways.

The worst menus I’ve dealt with so far are the convoluted ones in Dragon Age: Origins. I am used to them by now, but the initial learning curve was ridiculously steep for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best: Probably Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Just really intuitive and easy to grasp. And the inventory management is actually somewhat fun.

Worst: Deus Ex: The Fall just to stay on the same thread. Has really finnicky touch screen emulation so using it with a mouse is just a pain in the ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 3:51 PM, StaceyPowers said:

The worst menus I’ve dealt with so far are the convoluted ones in Dragon Age: Origins. I am used to them by now, but the initial learning curve was ridiculously steep for me.

What did you dislike about Origins' menus? 

I'm just curious as someone who prefers how that game controlled over the later installments. But I do play on PC so that could be a part of it if you played it on console. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cleopatra92 said:

What did you dislike about Origins' menus? 

I'm just curious as someone who prefers how that game controlled over the later installments. But I do play on PC so that could be a part of it if you played it on console. 

I'm on PS3. I think it's just that there are so darn many screens, and I never remember which order they are in, so I always go the most convoluted way around to reach the quest list, etc. And a lot of screens (i.e. herbalism) I had to look up online how to find.

I haven't started Dragon Age 2 yet, I just finished Awakening. I've heard that the menus get even more annoying ... I can't wait, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

I'm on PS3. I think it's just that there are so darn many screens, and I never remember which order they are in, so I always go the most convoluted way around to reach the quest list, etc. And a lot of screens (i.e. herbalism) I had to look up online how to find.

I haven't started Dragon Age 2 yet, I just finished Awakening. I've heard that the menus get even more annoying ... I can't wait, lol.

I can completely understand being frustrated by it on consoles lol. I primarily play PC and the menus work great there but when I play on my Xbox instead I can really notice that they work terribly there in comparison lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember old Age of Empire series games? Those had some worst graphics. Not because the theme was bad. But the graphics was extremely poor. But they had a good them like paypyrus paper as menu. It was not that bad but the graphics made it look really hard to read. And often it was not something I'd play with. But I played only for gaming experience as it was good game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, skyfire said:

Remember old Age of Empire series games? Those had some worst graphics. Not because the theme was bad. But the graphics was extremely poor. But they had a good them like paypyrus paper as menu. It was not that bad but the graphics made it look really hard to read. And often it was not something I'd play with. But I played only for gaming experience as it was good game. 

Well it was made in 1997 what do you expect xD 
Late 90's was mix of old and new videogame technology

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Anthem has to take the new throne as one of the worst menu designs I've seen. Took me ages to get used to them and I still struggle to find some stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skyrim and Oblivion’s got good, smooth menu design. In regards to worst, I’d have to go for something like Dragon Age 2. I did get used to DA2’s wonky menus after a while, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DylanC said:

Skyrim and Oblivion’s got good, smooth menu design. In regards to worst, I’d have to go for something like Dragon Age 2. I did get used to DA2’s wonky menus after a while, though.

Skyrim and Oblivion are top notch. Also a fan of Fallout 3 and 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...