Register Now
Martin Berisford

Do you think games are too expensive nowadays?

43 minutes ago, Jasmin said:

Agreed, But what I was trying to say was, in the past you did not have many options and you would be satisfied with few games, but currently you have many options and you end up buying more games.

Yes that's correct. Right now, I have more access to get more games because I have the means (money) now unlike when I was a lot younger. My fat backlog is a true testament to that fact. 

In the past, you did not have too many option, therefore, you didn't spend a lot of money even if you had budget. These days, you have  lot of option yet you might still not be spending a lot of money because you don't have tome to play

On 6/5/2022 at 8:05 PM, Boblee said:

I have tried as much as possible to cut down on my spending as a result of the inflation and it's still not helping matters. It's a shit show now with how everything has been going. 

We don't have a choice at this time, things are quite expensive, we just have to pick them that way since we clearly love them to keep the fun on. I wouldn't just stay without video games, that's why I just pay for some of this video games without looking at their cost, not because I have plenty funds, but just that, I want to enjoy my time with what I love doing since my childhood. 

17 hours ago, Justin11 said:

We don't have a choice at this time, things are quite expensive, we just have to pick them that way since we clearly love them to keep the fun on. I wouldn't just stay without video games, that's why I just pay for some of this video games without looking at their cost, not because I have plenty funds, but just that, I want to enjoy my time with what I love doing since my childhood. 

With everything that's been happening, we would still have to do what we are supposed to do irrespective of the ongoing inflation until we can't anymore, then we rest!!! 

17 hours ago, Boblee said:

With everything that's been happening, we would still have to do what we are supposed to do irrespective of the ongoing inflation until we can't anymore, then we rest!!! 

Sure, we can't stop bro, we'll buy even if the price triple, prices of food stuffs have already tripled in my locality, it wasn't like this in the past five years. I just have to buy things I enjoy, and games is among the list. 

On 5/23/2022 at 12:08 PM, Empire said:

One single game or in my case the flight simulator can be very costly. Base pack is like £60 then you have payware addons from aircrafts and airports scenery can cost. this month I have paid around over $150 just in payware aircrafts. 

Fenix A320
Flightsim B146
PMDG 737

Video games are only getting more complex and require more skill to produce so it makes sense that the prices are going up. I don't like how expensive games have become but I don't see full releases going up much higher in price. It would be really hard to justify the purchase of a 100 game for a lot of consumers even after you account for inflation.

Video games available now are not the same as it was available two decades ago. Technological advancement , virtual reality games, reality Simulators and all that are quite expensive to create and they wouldn't sell it at just any price or the company would run into losses. I sincerely have no issue with what the prices of games are at the moment and whatever I can't afford I don't bother myself about it until I am able to afford it.

4 hours ago, Clasher said:

Video games available now are not the same as it was available two decades ago. Technological advancement , virtual reality games, reality Simulators and all that are quite expensive to create and they wouldn't sell it at just any price or the company would run into losses. I sincerely have no issue with what the prices of games are at the moment and whatever I can't afford I don't bother myself about it until I am able to afford it.

I'm going to have to disagree with this my man, modern games now are cheaper then ever if you are willing to wait and keep an eye out for bargains every once in a while you're bound to profit from it and save a lot of money, for example i picked up halo infinite for 22 euros last week and that is a game like what 6 months old and that is even for a physical copy.

In the mid 90 ies i remember my parents paying about 85 euros for super street fighter 2 for the sega megadrive/genesis, Virtua racing was over 100+ more like 125 euros because the cartridge contained a special chip which my parents also gave me because i got good grades, offcourse the euro diden't exist back then it was in frank but damn cartridge games were pretty damn expensive in that time period. Considering how many good modern games you can get for about 100 bucks compared to the sega megadrive/genesis and snes period so yeah i'd say as a gamer we never got it as good.

5 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

I'm going to have to disagree with this my man, modern games now are cheaper then ever if you are willing to wait and keep an eye out for bargains every once in a while you're bound to profit from it and save a lot of money, for example i picked up halo infinite for 22 euros last week and that is a game like what 6 months old and that is even for a physical copy.

In the mid 90 ies i remember my parents paying about 85 euros for super street fighter 2 for the sega megadrive/genesis, Virtua racing was over 100+ more like 125 euros because the cartridge contained a special chip which my parents also gave me because i got good grades, offcourse the euro diden't exist back then it was in frank but damn cartridge games were pretty damn expensive in that time period. Considering how many good modern games you can get for about 100 bucks compared to the sega megadrive/genesis and snes period so yeah i'd say as a gamer we never got it as good.

It's the patient gamers who are not always in a rush to start playing a new game that gets the better of the game price. For example, remember when COD Vanguard was released and how much it was sold for $90 but now it's around $50 or even lesser. 

24 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit here because what you bought as a game back then is different to what constitutes as a game now.

First, it has always been possible to get games cheaper second hand if you were smart about. That was just as true then as it is is now, so you getting a good deal on a used copy of Halo Infinite is, with all due respect, a poor example to justify the claim games are cheaper these days. I remember getting some great games dirt cheep back in the day as well by taking advantage of the second hand market.

But not that everything is the same, obviously. At least where live, the price of a physical copy of a game hasn't really changed much in the last 20-30 years. If anything, they may have risen slightly, but especially with inflation I wouldn't call it such a hike that's it's worth making a fuss over.  It's more or less the same. How much you actually pay for your game copy isn't the issue though, it's what you actually get for that similar price now compared to what you got back in the day. Back then, you bought a full a game at full price, simple as that. These day's, you don't get a full game for the price like you used to. What you get is a part of the full package with the rest of it cut away and sold back to you in bits via DLC, microtransactions, more expensive editions that DO cost more than the "standard" game and so on. Yes, we're not paying more money than we used to, but we're getting less for it, so considering that I would say video games are more expensive now than they ever have been, and by quite some margin.

Edited by Shagger

36 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit here because what you bought as a game back then is different to what constitutes as a game now.

First, it has always been possible to get games cheaper second hand if you were smart about. That was just as true then as it is is now, so you getting a good deal on a used copy of Halo Infinite is, with all due respect, a poor example to justify the claim games are cheaper these days. I remember getting some great games dirt cheep back in the day as well by taking advantage of the second hand market.

But not that everything is the same, obviously. At least where live, the price of a physical copy of a game hasn't really changed much in the last 20-30 years. If anything, they may have risen slightly, but especially with inflation I wouldn't call it such a hike that's it's worth making a fuss over.  It's more or less the same. How much you actually pay for your game copy isn't the issue though, it's what you actually get for that similar price now compared to what you got back in the day. Back then, you bought a full a game at full price, simple as that. These day's, you don't get a full game for the price like you used to. What you get is a part of the full package with the rest of it cut away and sold back to you in bits via DLC, microtransactions, more expensive editions that DO cost more than the "standard" game and so on. Yes, we're not paying more money than we used to, but we're getting less for it, so considering that I would say video games are more expensive now than they ever have been, and by quite some margin.

Oh but halo infinte was 22 euros brand new/sealed maybe i should have stated that, i never buy modern games used because it's just not worth bothering anymore. So why would it be a poor example i gave, it's a half year old game and to be honest one game that sony fanboys cry over in their sleep because it's not on their platform of choice j/k.

Games drop so fast in price these days and if they are not they go on sale all the time that is if your are like me and don't give a crap about the multiplayer and hold off on games for a while you get way more bang for your buck then 20 years ago, unless you are a nintendo guy. 

In the exact same store gta trilogy was priced 19,99 euro despite all the shit it gets well hell yeah for that price i'm not leaving it behind and taking a copy with me home, that's a release you can easily put 100+ hours into. When you look at the ps/microsoft store for a digital edition it's still full price, that is something i'll never understand.

if you are thinking i talk about my ass :

halo.thumb.jpg.fff9595f444bf16073c90db886d1586d.jpg

Edited by Yaramaki

1 hour ago, Yaramaki said:

Juxtapositioning, I would say that the games are still as they were but now with a slight difference in the price due to how the game companies now package and don't sell the whole to you as they used to, so now you buy a bit of the Game at a particular price and other factions of the game are gotten through micro transactions , DLC and the rest in editions that are even way more expensive than the initial unit of the game you bought.

Even consoles are growing in prices continuously the ps2 was launched at a price $299 , ps3 at $499 to $599 depending on the version you are getting, and the price keeps going up with each release of a new console. 

22 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

...if you are thinking i talk about my ass :

halo.thumb.jpg.fff9595f444bf16073c90db886d1586d.jpg

Assuming what you were actually trying to say was "if you are thinking I'm talking out my ass", my response is:

Whoa! I Calm down! I never said, or even hinted you we're lying about that. Where the he hell did that come from?

For one reason or another, I didn't get that you talking about a new, factory sealed copy. Sorry I didn't pick up on that, but it doesn't really change my point. When stores overstock on physical copies of games, they well put the on sale sometimes just weeks later at discounted price when they don't sell to make room for new stock, that was also a common thing back in the day like it is now. 

If so, then I'll go for the discounted price options of video games lol. The only demerit on my side will be that, the games might not be the kind of games I play. I know some video games do over stay, and their will be a sequel versions for each of them that have over stayed, which will force the wholesalers reselling on a cut price, which is an advantage for those gamers who needs those games at that moment. 

17 hours ago, Shagger said:

Assuming what you were actually trying to say was "if you are thinking I'm talking out my ass", my response is:

Whoa! I Calm down! I never said, or even hinted you we're lying about that. Where the he hell did that come from?

For one reason or another, I didn't get that you talking about a new, factory sealed copy. Sorry I didn't pick up on that, but it doesn't really change my point. When stores overstock on physical copies of games, they well put the on sale sometimes just weeks later at discounted price when they don't sell to make room for new stock, that was also a common thing back in the day like it is now. 

Well I rather back up my claim in case somebody doesen't believe me. I noticed the grammer error but was too late to edit it, watching football and browsing the internet guess i'm not good at multitasking at all.

I'll agree with the above statement,because it perfectly explains that going physical with your games is in the end still the best way to go. If retailers overstock and are forced to sell their games at half price or even less that's only good for gamers who prefer their games physical and should we feel bad about it, like no. 

You can make gaming as expensive or as cheap as possible, when i see people claiming here that they spend their money wisely on gaming and then i see them posting that they spend like 50 bucks on fortnite skins in a fortnite thread (we've got way too many of those btw) i'm like eh really man come on is that wise, i would point it that they like an idiot but it's just not worth bothering and it's not my money. 

Gaming is not more expensive then it was 20 years ago considering you have to factor in inflation. The way gamers spend their money has changed. I still think if you buy microtransactions no offence you're an idiot you're not going to change my oppinion on that, if you buy skins/clothes for a full priced game i'm just like why would you do that.

I'll end here because i feel like neither of us is going to agree with one or the other and it's just pointless to keep going on and on. I've made my point it's just too bad i diden't kept the receipts from the games i mentioned to prove that cartridge games were more expensive then the usual 60$ we usually pay for a brand new release.

One thing i'd like to say if 60$ for a game that offers dozens and dozens of hours of entertaiment is too expensive for somebody i feel like it's time to move on to another hobby.

6 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

Well I rather back up my claim in case somebody doesen't believe me. I noticed the grammer error but was too late to edit it, watching football and browsing the internet guess i'm not good at multitasking at all.

I'll agree with the above statement,because it perfectly explains that going physical with your games is in the end still the best way to go. If retailers overstock and are forced to sell their games at half price or even less that's only good for gamers who prefer their games physical and should we feel bad about it, like no. 

You can make gaming as expensive or as cheap as possible, when i see people claiming here that they spend their money wisely on gaming and then i see them posting that they spend like 50 bucks on fortnite skins in a fortnite thread (we've got way too many of those btw) i'm like eh really man come on is that wise, i would point it that they like an idiot but it's just not worth bothering and it's not my money. 

Gaming is not more expensive then it was 20 years ago considering you have to factor in inflation. The way gamers spend their money has changed. I still think if you buy microtransactions no offence you're an idiot you're not going to change my oppinion on that, if you buy skins/clothes for a full priced game i'm just like why would you do that.

I'll end here because i feel like neither of us is going to agree with one or the other and it's just pointless to keep going on and on. I've made my point it's just too bad i diden't kept the receipts from the games i mentioned to prove that cartridge games were more expensive then the usual 60$ we usually pay for a brand new release.

One thing i'd like to say if 60$ for a game that offers dozens and dozens of hours of entertaiment is too expensive for somebody i feel like it's time to move on to another hobby.

I don't think you're paying much attention to what I'm saying here as you pretty much said the same things.

I didn't say game are more expensive. What I did say is that, especially considering inflation, games have at the most barely got any more to expensive to buy. I did say that that What I was saying that whilst the price hasn't really changed all things considered, it's we get these days for the money that makes games more expensive. What was once a full package for $60 is now cut up and sold back to us as DLC, deluxe editions and microtransactions. The get the full package like we used to, we're paying a lot more than just that $60 or equivalent now. The real difference between then and now isn't cost, it's value. The price of games hasn't really changed, but they're worth less is that $60 does not buy a complete package anymore.

It's just like how you said about people who think they're spending thier money wisely on Fornight skins and I agree with you, they really aren't spending thier money wisely at all. People who actually spend money on that crap either have more money than sense or they have succumb to the dirty tactics and phycological manipulation these game employ. Either way, they nothing to be proud of, but like you said, it's not our place to judge and people can do what the want with thier money.

On a more official note, there has only been a handful of threads active specifically about Fortnite on VGR in recent weeks and the have clear distinctions between them in terms of the theme of conversation. Fortnite is a popular game and it's inevitable that there will be a lot of people discussing in bo on threads about Fortnight specifically and on other thread where it's appropriate to mention the game. If you think there is an issue with similar threads being active at the same time, report them and well take it from there. Without you making it clear specially what the offending threads are, there isn't much I can do.