Register Now
skyfire

Tablet As Gaming Platform?

On 2/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, skyfire said:

I would say ipads as a gaming device is nothing short of the destroying your money. In case of the android tablets, you should be thinking of them as gaming device and i think ipad is more or less a good designer and creators device. 

I have never been worried about ipad or any Apple products because they have never appealed to me from day one and when it comes to mobile gaming, android offers a lot better games than what you have on iPhone - ipad devices. 

4 hours ago, Aniekwe said:

I have never been worried about ipad or any Apple products because they have never appealed to me from day one and when it comes to mobile gaming, android offers a lot better games than what you have on iPhone - ipad devices. 

This is actually a myth especially when it comes to Ipads. Ipads are the most powerful tablets on the market and the ones capable of running most emulation software at max settings and with Apple putting the M1 chip into their tablets, the Ipad Pro is in a league of its own and this is me telling you this as an Android user.

I for one cannot see the point in spending $1200 on an iPad or other top of the range tablet when the software is made to be playable on a $200-$300 smartphone. I know that these is a big discrepancy between the cost of PC's as well, but here me out. This is different on PC as people going into it know what hardware to have in place to run games and accept that hey need to spend what the need to spend to be able to run the games the want and with the kind of performance the want. It's something that PC gamers have been doing for decades. Game development on PC is tied into the advance of the platform and players accept fact that if a thier hardware isn't up to snuff, that's on them, so it's OK to alienate lower speck hardware. They will still have thier target audience with the correct hardware and that's who they make games for. On the mobile market where the vast majority of games are FTP and, let's be honest, is more casual, no game developer is gonna "push the boundaries" at the cost of shrinking thier market share, it just isn't handled regarded the same way.

14 hours ago, killamch89 said:

This is actually a myth especially when it comes to Ipads. Ipads are the most powerful tablets on the market and the ones capable of running most emulation software at max settings and with Apple putting the M1 chip into their tablets, the Ipad Pro is in a league of its own and this is me telling you this as an Android user.

You have a good point there no doubt but what I consider before spending on any gaming platform/device is the game's performance and when I look at my smartphone, it runs all my game's smoothly. For that reason alone, I have never considered ipad for gaming or even other use too. 

Yes, I really do feel that tablets do have a future in gaming for sure, even now so many games are bringing their own mobile version to tablets and phones, one of the more recent ones was Warzone and Apex Legends. I see more games in the near future doing the same if I am honest. I know myself especially with some games I would much rather play them on a tablet than say a phone purely because of the bigger screen and it's just easier for me to play with a bigger screen. 

On 12/3/2022 at 2:48 PM, Smokey said:

I've heard some tablets make for great emulation devices and mobile-gaming devices, but to have it as your primary gaming platform? I don't know if I could ever commit to that myself. 

I haven't personally but you do have people who prefer just playing Emulators and for that, it's more than adequate. I mean, it's ridiculously portable and if you have it plugged in to a decent power source, you can get hours of fun out of it. Just carry some controllers and connect them via Bluetooth and you'll be good to go.

On 12/14/2023 at 12:08 AM, Kennysplash said:

To me it is big and heavy. The bigger screen is an advantage though provided it has some sort of mini controllers on its own. But since it does not, I always say that the best thing to use iPads for is to watch movies. 

I use my IPad for mobile gaming and It's definitely more than adequate. In addition to that, you can use it for emulation because it's so powerful! and you can simply connect one of your Xbox controllers via bluetooth and play some games. In my opinion, it's not a bad gaming device at all.