Register Now
StaceyPowers

Delightful Surprises You Didn’t Expect in Video Games

What are some times you can remember being delighted by some surprising moment in a video game?  Here are some for me:

-I finally finished a full playthrough of the main story in Fallout NV the other night, and was pleasantly surprised when the bomber I raised from the lake for the Boomers did make a flyover and drop some bombs. I had been so convinced that I wouldn’t get to see it fly!

-When Elizabeth sings in Bioshock Infinite, that was definitely a moment of unexpected delight. I felt the same way when I’d run into a cool cover of a modern song playing on one of the turntables.

-The moment with the giraffes in TLOU. And pretty much the entire mall sequence in Left Behind.

-The original BioShock having a happy ending shocked the hell out of me. I was fully expecting tragedy, and was pleasantly surprised/extremely satisfied with the conclusion I got.

What are some delightful ways that games surprised you, large or small?

@The Blackangel @DylanC @killamch89 @kingpotato @Alyxx @Aerielle del Rosario @Executor Akamia @skyfire

One kinda cheesy and minor thing that was a nice surprise for me came when I was a kid. I had bought a used copy of Zelda A Link To The Past. There was a partially played game on there. I didn't know much about the game, so I erased all the games on it to learn on my own. I remember getting annoyed as hell because I kept running out of bombs and arrows all the damn time. Also I never could figure out what the exact purpose for the Pond Of Happiness was. I would stop by to grab a faery every once in a while and sometimes I would throw a bit on money in as a goof. When I hit 100 rupees for the first time I found out that the queen of the faeries would increase your carrying capacity of arrows from 30 to 70 and bombs from 10 to 50. Needless to say, as soon as I get the flippers, I max out my money and head straight to the pond now.

I have one funny moment in mobile legends. While battling 4 enemies at a time. I managed to take down three of them. 1 remained while my health was down. Instead of attacking me that enemy attacked the jungle monster. And that jungle monster instead of attacking him, attacked me and I got killed. 

The most  delightful surprises at least for this year , for me are :
-The ending in God of War PS4 after the fight (I'm not going to spoil it but its a mix of happiness, sadness and holy shit moments)
-Horizon Zero dawn, this one not a specific moment, but rather several moments when Alloy learns what the real world is about.
-The Last of Us, of course the Giraffe scene as well
-The Witcher 3, good ending , last scene with Ciri
-Spider man PS4 Construction site mission, this whole mission felt like a Marvel movie
-Bioshock I agree I expected a bad ending

On 11/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, skyfire said:

Yes, bioshock was meant to have the bad ending. In fact I felt bad for the underwater city though. I mean I loved rapture it's one good evil place but must be fantastic place. 

Actually, I think the good ending is the canon ending, being as it is featured in Burial at Sea? Then again, hypothetically, all three of those endings probably happened in various universes =D

On 11/14/2019 at 4:18 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Actually, I think the good ending is the canon ending, being as it is featured in Burial at Sea? Then again, hypothetically, all three of those endings probably happened in various universes =D

Sort of. But the thing is that anyone who loves terraforming on mars, living underwater and living in space dome would find it as sad ending for city. lol

15 hours ago, skyfire said:

Sort of. But the thing is that anyone who loves terraforming on mars, living underwater and living in space dome would find it as sad ending for city. lol

Considering that Rapture "survives" the ending of the first game long enough for the second to take place, I always have held out hope that it never gets 100% destroyed, and maybe someone fixes it. Like you, I do find its sad state a crushing waste of an amazing feat of engineering/vision.