Register Now
StaceyPowers

Timed missions: love em or hate em?

Same, You have 2mins to do missions and you are lost and have no idea what you are doing, once you know what it's about, you can do it fast after so many tries. But comes down to the game and what's the missions about. Some people like it and others don't.

I don't like time-sensitive quests or games, but I can wholeheartedly appreciate what the dev is trying to do with them. The most infamous example I can think of is Fallout: A Post-Nuclear Roleplaying Game and Fallout 2, where you only have so many days to complete the main quest. In the first game you can extend the time limit by negotiating a deal with a water caravan, but that's not the permanent solution the people of the Vault require, so the timer's still ticking. There's also the bonus objective of stopping the main villain in I think 100 days which will impact your ending. Both of these have been addressed (read: addressed, not fixed) in the Steam versions of the game where you're given more time, and I think the Fallout Fixed mod completely removes the time-sensitivity so you can go at your own pace.

Mechanically I hate them, but thematically I like them and they add an extra bit of flavour to what could be an otherwise ordinary quest. So long as they're not out-of-nowhere and it's clear there's a time limit, I can grin and bear it.

Depends on the game and mission. Sometimes a time mission is no issue to me. But, there has been times where a time mission is just too much for me to handle. I hate when a timer is so strict, and barely gives you enough time. Like with the Driver games, I didn't mind them, because the driving was fun and intense with the challenge. Sadly I think it's also why I can't stand timers in games anymore, because I did hate it for a while in Driver. 

33 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Personally, I don't really like timed missions because it doesn't give you enough time to properly do the mission, complete objectives and also doesn't give you time to explore and enjoy your surroundings.

Seriously, when simply put, it makes you always be in a rush when playing which leaves a lot of things unexplored. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, when simply put, it makes you always be in a rush when playing which leaves a lot of things unexplored. 

And you may end up missing things which are important to finish said timed mission which makes it even more ridiculous...

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

And you may end up missing things which are important to finish said timed mission which makes it even more ridiculous...

Once you didn't get to explore that much simply because you were in a rush as a result of time factor, the game will never really be satisfying.