Register Now
Kane99

Mafia Definitive Edition

I'm a big fan of the original Mafia game, which came out on PC and PS2 back in 2002 if I remember correctly. The PC version was highly regarded, and still is to this day, but the PS2 version was a really poor quality port. Even though I did play the PS2 version, I had a blast with it. 

Now, 2K and folks are re-releasing the original Mafia game, but completely remastered from the ground up. It was supposed to come out this month, but was delayed until sometime in September. I plan to buy it myself as I haven't played since the PS2 version, and it's been well over 10 years by now. 

The original Mafia is one of my top5 games of all times. Yet, I have massive reservations about this remake. Some of the narrative changes and character voice/appearance changes makes me nervous. For example Paulie looks and acts nothing like Paulie. He was the cool guy in Mafia, now he comes across as a whiny coward.

Plus my favorite part of Mafia was the physics, especially when driving with a proper force feedback wheel. I doubt this will even support driving with a wheel, let alone manual clutch pedal, like the original did. And I expect the physics to be massively dumbed down. And there is no word on whether freeride and freeride extreme will be included in the game.

Considering this as a whole other game isn't bad at all, but for someone who played the original, this one isn't actually worth playing as a remake as it has lots of things changed unfortunately, including interiors, voice actors and storyline events as well, which is really disappointing.. people are looking for the vanilla game's vibe with modern standards and not a game that seems like a ripoff...

I don't know if it's just me, but the game doesn't really give much free driving time. After every mission, it jumps right into another. I would like to be able to drive a bit a take in the scenery without being on a mission with passengers. But so far most missions start right at the safe house, or a cut scene starts after finishing a mission and goes right into another. The game definitely is story oriented, but makes me wonder why even have an open world. There is a feature to play the game just to have fun w/o any story, maybe I should do that for a bit. 

I have never played the original but the game does interest me quite a bit. The fact that it was remastered makes it even better because it will look and feel great on the current-gen consoles. Definitely on my list of games to play when I finish my current backlog.