Register Now
Kane99

Folding Smartphones

On 2/8/2022 at 11:59 AM, Kane99 said:

Has anyone here purchased one of these phones yet? I can't afford to get one, but im kinda interested in getting one whenever they release a budget one. 😄

Nope - they're way too expensive and far too fragile for my taste. I heard that Google is going to come out with a foldable in the next 2 years as well.

That's my first time hearing about folding phones, I went through the list as I'm typing my comment, Samsung is placed top amongst the rest. I don't know what exactly made it a folding type, because I couldn't see any image reflecting much about that. 

I remember folding flip phones way back when I was younger and they were all the rage when they were first released. Roll forward to now and looking at the folding phones that are releasing now it would seem that they fold over with the screen so to speak. Seems crazy that you would be able to fold a phone and not mess the screen up or I guess that is their intention. I have seen people who have purchased these phone and have posted about how they used it and it messed the screen up. Definitely not a phone I would jump to if I am honest with the issues it seems to have.

I don't like the idea of foldables now. The concept of foldable glass was never going to work, ever. No matter what Samsung or any other manufacturer does to 'enforce the hinge' to prevent the screen from cracking or the glass disconnecting from the body, it won't work. Over time, the hinge will wear out and you'll end up with a useless phone.  My brother likes the idea of the Galaxy Fold and was saying he wants to try it for his next phone, but I keep pointing out all the issues people are having with it. I hope he's smart enough not to bother with such a phone, especially since they're so expensive. Plus, as a huge downside, you get less screen real estate, why would you want a smaller screen just so you can 'fold the phone' and have it fit in your pocket 'slightly' better? 

Folding smartphones are innovative and offer unique form factors. They have the potential to enhance multitasking and provide a more immersive experience. However, durability and price remain concerns, and their long-term market success will depend on addressing these challenges effectively.

I think the only reason why I'd get a folding smartphone is to emulate DS/3DS games and that's it. I just don't get the appeal of having a smartphone that folds, my spouse knew someone who had one and you can see where the two screens meet together when it's open. That would drive me insane lol.

15 hours ago, Ravenfreak said:

I think the only reason why I'd get a folding smartphone is to emulate DS/3DS games and that's it. I just don't get the appeal of having a smartphone that folds, my spouse knew someone who had one and you can see where the two screens meet together when it's open. That would drive me insane lol.

That would for sure drive me insane too. There should not be something on the screen for it to fold and I always get annoyed if there is something on my screen so not being able to remove that would drive me crazy. Not to mention the damage done as well to the screen where it folds if that happens.