Register Now
Kane99

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Did anyone here get the new Assassin's Creed game? I haven't played a game in the series since the one in London. I want to give this one a try because of the Viking setting. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm hearing reviews are saying it's kind of a glitchy mess at times. 

I'm going to wait to get it until it goes on sale, or until the next AC game comes out. 😄 

Anyway, if you did get it, what are your thoughts on it so far? Is it worth the buy? Or should I wait?

It's this time of the year...Assasin's Creed games have become pretty repetitive in the past few release. Every new release in recent years seems like a graphical update with one or two new minor gameplay features added. In addition to that, the quality of the story seems to get poorer with every release.

I loved odyssey, but unfortunately valhalla seems like two steps backwards in every sense.

the fighting is clunky and much less fun, the story and characters are uninteresting, the quests tedious, the scenery dreary, there is no loot. No naval engagements. Open fighting is forced over stealthy gameplay. Enemies spawn out of thin air. Raids are repetitive and boring. The enemy AI is awful, cutscenes and conversations with NPCs seem half complete, placeholder level even.

Should I go on?

15 minutes ago, m76 said:

I loved odyssey, but unfortunately valhalla seems like two steps backwards in every sense.

the fighting is clunky and much less fun, the story and characters are uninteresting, the quests tedious, the scenery dreary, there is no loot. No naval engagements. Open fighting is forced over stealthy gameplay. Enemies spawn out of thin air. Raids are repetitive and boring. The enemy AI is awful, cutscenes and conversations with NPCs seem half complete, placeholder level even.

Should I go on?

I'm just going to get it when it gets on sale. I figure I haven't purchased a new AC game in years, so I won't be doing it anytime soon. Plus, I'm still kind of played out on the AC series. Just doing the same thing got boring after a while. And since I hear the game has kind of been a buggy mess, maybe it's best to wait on purchasing it for a bit, until they problems are ironed out  abit. 

On 11/11/2020 at 5:40 PM, m76 said:

Should I go on?

I did watch some of the gameplay and it is quite repetitive. My main issue is it doesn't look or feel like an Assassin's Creed game at all - If you slapped another name on it instead of Assassin's Creed, nobody would argue at all. I think the perfect word to describe it would be bland...

On 12/7/2020 at 4:32 AM, killamch89 said:

I did watch some of the gameplay and it is quite repetitive. My main issue is it doesn't look or feel like an Assassin's Creed game at all - If you slapped another name on it instead of Assassin's Creed, nobody would argue at all. I think the perfect word to describe it would be bland...

It does get better later. My bleak view of it initially has been turned around.

Here's my review.

On 12/8/2020 at 2:51 AM, m76 said:

It does get better later. My bleak view of it initially has been turned around.

Here's my review.

Those pictures look real! Sucks it doesn't have much ship battles, but I've read the map is a little larger than Odyssey and without the open waters which leaves lots of exploration. Did you feel there was a lot of ground to cover? To me all that exploration seems it would be fun and many sights to see. I guess they decreased the gear availability and switching out, which I loved in Odyssey. Interesting about the side stories. Do you feel the stories were an improvement from Odyssey?  

5 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Those pictures look real! Sucks it doesn't have much ship battles, but I've read the map is a little larger than Odyssey and without the open waters which leaves lots of exploration. Did you feel there was a lot of ground to cover? To me all that exploration seems it would be fun and many sights to see. I guess they decreased the gear availability and switching out, which I loved in Odyssey. Interesting about the side stories. Do you feel the stories were an improvement from Odyssey?  

Yes, it's a very good looking game. I don't think the map is larger. The land mass to cover might be more than odyssey because of less open waters.  But I was less inclined to explore freely here than in odyssey. The main story is definitely not an improvement, it's not very interesting and the conclusion is atrocious imho. The side stories are good though, more consistent quality than in Odyssey.

I haven't even considering it and it's not my game anyway but I think that one of the coolest things about AC trailers for new games, is that they don't give anything away about the modern plot. Whether it's heavily developed in this game or not, I appreciate that they keep it a mystery. I can't believe this was released over 7 months ago and now it's finally hear, way to long right. 

On 12/10/2020 at 3:58 AM, m76 said:

Yes, it's a very good looking game. I don't think the map is larger. The land mass to cover might be more than odyssey because of less open waters.  But I was less inclined to explore freely here than in odyssey. The main story is definitely not an improvement, it's not very interesting and the conclusion is atrocious imho. The side stories are good though, more consistent quality than in Odyssey.

To be honest, Assassin's Creed games aren't going to really get any more innovative unless they come up with something very radical - I just can't quite think of what it is as yet.

46 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest, Assassin's Creed games aren't going to really get any more innovative unless they come up with something very radical - I just can't quite think of what it is as yet.

I think if they made an incredible story and side quests that would hint you in which direction to go first, it would be a masterpiece. I'm pretty happy with Origins and Odyssey. But if they had a really good story with great cut scenes and dialog then AC would be unbeatable. Add Witcher 3 quests into AC and wham bam, thank you mam. 

57 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I think if they made an incredible story and side quests that would hint you in which direction to go first, it would be a masterpiece. I'm pretty happy with Origins and Odyssey. But if they had a really good story with great cut scenes and dialog then AC would be unbeatable. Add Witcher 3 quests into AC and wham bam, thank you mam. 

You do have a point there. Maybe they just need a new creative director to give the game a bit more "life". Honestly, I really don't want it to go down the typical Activision game route where they just push out a copy every year with very little changes and a $60 price tag.