Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games you love despite truly awful bugs

Fallout New Vegas is an example of a game that isn’t just buggy, but genuinely broken on my platform—the world gradually breaks and eventually becomes inaccessible as my save file on PS3 grows. Despite this extreme inconvenience, I have played this game to death, and expect I will replay it numerous more times, as horrible bugs aside, I adore everything about it. What games do you love so much that even truly horrible bugs don’t stop you from playing it?

Alpha Protocol, Spliner Cell Double Agent, Driver3, Splinter Cell Blacklist, of course Cyberpunk2077, Skyrim, Fallout4

I also liked New Vegas, but I don't remember it as that buggy.

Edited by m76

Magic Carpet 2 (DOS PC). EA was EA long before most of us knew it. This is truly a gem of a game, but playing it was like siting on ticking bomb with no timer. You knew it was going to blow, but the trigger could be anything from your toenails growing one billionth of an inch to a massive earthquake, then it would crash. You were afraid to sneeze playing this game. 25 years later, and it's still just as busted. 

Edited by Shagger

One that I'm sure most don't remember is a bug in Zelda Ocarina Of Time. It happens when you try to jump from one platform to another. Link will make it but will get stuck at the corner, and the game will start jerking him up and down on the corner really fast and get stuck doing that. I'm not even touching the controller and it stays there doing that to the point that your only option is to reset the game and lose all your progress since the last time you saved. It's infuriating. And it happens way more often than people would think. It's the main reason why I have gotten into the habit of saving every 3 minutes.

And do I even need to mention any specific Atari games? Buggy as hell, both due to age and the tech of the time, but completely worth it.

Edited by The Blackangel

Be warned for I am about to invoke Troika's Law: Upon mentioning Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, someone, somewhere will reinstall it.

For those not familiar, Vampire: The Masquerade is part of the World of Darkness tabletop (and live action) roleplaying game universe, alongside Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Mage: The Awakening and Changeling: The Dreaming, among other variations set in contemporary and older time periods (Vampire: The Requiem, Dark Ages: Vampire, Werewolf: The Wild West and so forth). It's very much a product of its time with once fashionable tropes like trench coats and katanas, wearing shades indoors and calling vampires by another name, but over the years has had to move with the times so not to be caught up in its own angst. Vampire among other White Wolf properties has tried to subvert expectations in all its lines: in V:tM you are the bad guy, a predator who must slake their thirst or give into the Beast inherent in all vampires; in Hunter: The Reckoning, you're not a badass monster slayer but rather a generic Joe Bloggs who is suddendly "gifted" with being able to see all these once-thought-mythical beings. You get the idea.

With that said, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was one of the original games to show off Valve's new Source engine, and released shoulder-to-shoulder with Half-Life 2 (and Half-Life with V:tM-B's European release). The problem was, as is quite typical of its studio members' history, it wasn't given time enough. It has murky textures, sound issues every now and again, some physics complaints, garbage balancing and is ultimately missing content. Without the community patch that is still being worked on to this day, it's a good experience but it's not the great experience it's heralded as.

Speaking of Troika Games' history, members of the studio had formerly worked on Fallout 2 which was also missing content and lacked the time and budget to be as good as design blueprints and unearthed code would suggest. Luckily its development history and lore has been recorded in old Fallout Bibles.

I'd go on but I'll keep this post to the length it is. If I'm going to talk about some other buggy game, I'd like to do so with as much detail as I have here. ^^

Edited by Withywarlock