Register Now
Tool920

What do you think about Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven?

I did a writeup on it on r/patientgamers last year, and quite enjoyed it. I was however looking at it from the viewpoint of it being a Grand Theft Auto contemporary, and not the simulator the developers were going for. I may play it again when the remaster comes down significantly in price, but given it's a 2K property that should be in the next few minutes.

It's pretty bad I think, much worse than Mafia 1 or even 2. It's been good number of years since I played them. Mafia 3 worst aspect is too repetitive gameplay. Your only motivation to continue is to get to next cinematic, and at that point you could as well watch a movie or "mafia 3 movie" on youtube to get all that story without suffering repetitive gameplay.

It's a great game, but I would't go as far to say it's one of the best games. The game hasn't aged well especially with the really outdated controls. Even back then I hated the controls. I played the PS2 though, so it may have been different on the PC. I know it looked a lot better on PC. 

The story and setting was great, but I just don't see it being in a top 10 list, or even a top 20 list. I could see it in a top 100 or so. That's just how I feel. 

On 2/9/2021 at 10:32 PM, Patrik said:

One of the best games to ever exist, compared to its age, that's surely the best game of that era (there are other decent titles too, but for a mafia category game, top of the top)

Totally agreed 🤝 with you here. Based on what's going on at the time, it's definitely a legendary massive game to play then. 

IT has amazing gameplay, good controls, camera a bit weird, but all in all I'd say it's one of the best Mafia games out there to date(clearly I am talking about the old school mafia with dons and such, GTA def takes the crime game top place).

On 8/12/2021 at 12:26 AM, Patrik said:

good point lol, especially when you choose the free camera option, the view angles are just weird, but the game is generally ❤️ 

Seriously, after my first try of using free mode camera, I never liked it which is why I stopped using it for better views.