Register Now
Kane99

Film makers who should make their own video game

What are some filmmakers you think would be good to do a video game? I know Steven Spielberg has done his share of games, Medal of Honor comes to mind. I know Guillermo Del Toro has wanted to make a horror game, and I think there are other directors who could do games. I would love to see Scorsese work on a game. The guy has no coding skills I imagine, but it would be great to get a Mafia game from him. The story side of it if anything. 

Christopher Nolan would make an awesome game I bet.  

Most filmmakers look down on the gaming industry, I say we don't need them. It's already bad enough that now we have hollywood actors take the jobs of voice actors and taking huge salaries for it, we don't need star directors taking millions of dollars out of game's budgets also.

First and foremost I would like to see Tim Burton get in on creating games. He would have full directive control, and it would be his vision and his baby. A second on that would probably be Clive Barker. But Tim is number one by far. While technically not a film maker, I wouldn't mind seeing some Stephen King games. Off the top of my head I can't think of any of his stories having been made into a video game. Inspiration for games, sure. Layers Of Fear: Legacy had to have gotten at least some inspiration from Rose Red. But to see something that is straight up King would be awesome.

55 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

First and foremost I would like to see Tim Burton get in on creating games. He would have full directive control, and it would be his vision and his baby. A second on that would probably be Clive Barker. But Tim is number one by far. While technically not a film maker, I wouldn't mind seeing some Stephen King games. Off the top of my head I can't think of any of his stories having been made into a video game. Inspiration for games, sure. Layers Of Fear: Legacy had to have gotten at least some inspiration from Rose Red. But to see something that is straight up King would be awesome.

I'm not sure the extent of Clive Barker's involvement in the two games under his name, but if you aren't already aware of them I'd recommend checking out Undying and Jericho, both first person horror-shooters. There were apparently some Nightbreed games, but I don't think I've the willpower or even the skill to sit through those particular games. But yeah, I'd love to see Clive Barker get involved in games again. At the very least bring Rawhead Rex to Dead by Daylight!

I think Stephen King's got a few properties one could turn into a game, and one in particular stands out (if you'll pardon the pun): The Stand. Granted, The Division already exists and I think that's the best way one could make such a game (maybe a bit like Mad Max if it were a single player game?) I could even see its prequel, Night Surf, being a walking simulator, which might work as one of Stephen King's 'Dollar Babies'. The Running Man had a video game made in 1989, but I think it would do well (not great, not terrible) today as I think there's demand for a bloodsport game-show style of game in the same vein as Smash TV, and I think the campiness of the film could contribute to that. And I wonder if there's any value in a game based on The Mist.

Loved your choice of Tim Burton, by the way. Given the Nightmare before Christmas adaptations, and American McGee's Alice, I reckon he'd do well bringing his own blend of weirdness into the medium. ^^

I had no idea that Clive Barker had ever been involved in any games. I just knew that he wrote Hellraiser and directed the first movie. He had to release the rights to it to get to direct the movie, which I think was bullshit. But simply due to his imagination creating the Cenobites, he would definitely be a badass in the horror genre of games. I can see him getting a cult following in the least.

The same goes for Stephen King. Had no idea.

30 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I had no idea that Clive Barker had ever been involved in any games. I just knew that he wrote Hellraiser and directed the first movie. He had to release the rights to it to get to direct the movie, which I think was bullshit. But simply due to his imagination creating the Cenobites, he would definitely be a badass in the horror genre of games. I can see him getting a cult following in the least.

The same goes for Stephen King. Had no idea.

Yeah, Stephen King has been involved in quite a few games - I know that much. The Dark Half is the first that really comes to mind - as a matter of fact, it's the only one I remember directly based on one of his books rather than a movie adaptation. The Lawnmower man and the Running man games were more based on the movies and the movies didn't have much in common with the original book of the same name.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Wow. I guess people actually can learn something new every day.

I agree - I only learned that the lawnmower man & running man movies didn't have anything in common with the original books last year when I was looking up another book written by Stephen King.

On 3/6/2021 at 7:53 AM, m76 said:

Most filmmakers look down on the gaming industry, I say we don't need them. It's already bad enough that now we have hollywood actors take the jobs of voice actors and taking huge salaries for it, we don't need star directors taking millions of dollars out of game's budgets also.

I don't know if that's true. But I know directors, like Martin Scorsese aren't fans of it. I know there are a few other directors out there who hate the idea of video games too. I just don't see most directors today being against it. Most of the old fashioned directors are up there in age anyway, and I can see a lot of the younger directors being into gaming as well. 

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah, Stephen King has been involved in quite a few games - I know that much. The Dark Half is the first that really comes to mind - as a matter of fact, it's the only one I remember directly based on one of his books rather than a movie adaptation. The Lawnmower man and the Running man games were more based on the movies and the movies didn't have much in common with the original book of the same name.

I don't know if I would say Stephen King was really involved, he probably licenced the rights off, much like he has done with movies. I think when they use the name, it's like how they use Tom Clancy's name for video games. Tom Clancy passed away years ago, but they still title games as such. But, please do correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't recall Stephen King ever working on a video game. Maybe he helped with the story, but that's all I see him doing. 

Just now, Kane99 said:

I don't know if that's true. But I know directors, like Martin Scorsese aren't fans of it. I know there are a few other directors out there who hate the idea of video games too. I just don't see most directors today being against it. Most of the old fashioned directors are up there in age anyway, and I can see a lot of the younger directors being into gaming as well. 

I don't know if I would say Stephen King was really involved, he probably licenced the rights off, much like he has done with movies. I think when they use the name, it's like how they use Tom Clancy's name for video games. Tom Clancy passed away years ago, but they still title games as such. But, please do correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't recall Stephen King ever working on a video game. Maybe he helped with the story, but that's all I see him doing. 

He actually had a bit of say in Dark Fall and that is the only game based on a Stephen King book which closely followed the original book. The other two I mentioned were loose adaptations of the book.