Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games where you are not the main character

Sometimes in RDR2, I feel like Arthur isn't the main character, but Dutch is instead. Everything that happens, centers around him. He doesn't usually do much except sit on his ass and fight with Molly, but everything goes through him. And it seems like Arthur is just a lackey no different from anyone else in the game. Hell, I could be playing as Bill, Lenny, MaryBeth, Sadie, Uncle, or even Pearson and I don't see it affecting the story much, if any at all.

Edited by The Blackangel

Funny enough, I can pinpoint the exact moment where I stopped being treated as an adventurer and started being treated as a hero in WoW: Wrath of the Lich King. One of the quests (a daily?) that involved scaling the mountain in Icecrown had quest-text on the alliance side where the questgiver absolutely recognised you and called you a hero. From then on the veil broke for me, and the game started treating me like a hero. It certainly happened way before Warlords of Draenor, for myself at least.

Gears 4 also does this and kinda fumbles/makes itself worse because of it. From about the halfway point on wards the player character has no real personal goals and just tags along with Kait, the 'real' protagonist of the story, who's the only one in your group with a goal and stake in the plot. It was... weird. I assume Kait was intended to be the Protagonist, but then a higher up made the call to make JD be the player Protag for brand recognition value? In any case, it looks like Gears 5 will fix that.

In cyberpunk 2077 you are definitely not the main character. it's johnny silverhand.

Also in Metro Exodus you are not leader of your group, you are just a henchman they throw around you are not making any decisions.

In Ghost Recon wildlands you are just hired muscle, I always felt the main character was karen bowman, it's her fight, her quest for vengeance.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:13 AM, m76 said:

In cyberpunk 2077 you are definitely not the main character. it's johnny silverhand.

Also in Metro Exodus you are not leader of your group, you are just a henchman they throw around you are not making any decisions.

In Ghost Recon wildlands you are just hired muscle, I always felt the main character was karen bowman, it's her fight, her quest for vengeance.

It's actually what I didn't like much in the way Metro Exodus was set up. Taking away the decision making from the player isn't cool to me.