Register Now
StaceyPowers

Does it bother you that you can’t resell digital games?

On 5/6/2021 at 11:30 PM, killamch89 said:

You can resell the keys (At least Steam Keys) - To be honest, I haven't tried it with any other platform.

You can only sell keys if they haven't been used, so it's not the same as selling and buying used games they way you can with physical media.

in answer to @StaceyPowers question, it dose a bit, but any system that would allow the sale of used game keys would just be too easy to exploit and no game publisher/developer would want to sell their games on it. Sadly, that limitation when it comes to digital games is something that must continue to exist.

@Patrik You can't sell used games on digital platforms. You just can't.

Edited by Shagger

7 minutes ago, Shagger said:

You can only sell keys if they haven't been used, so it's not the same as selling and buying used games they way you can with physical media.

in answer to @StaceyPowers question, it dose a bit, but any system that would allow the sale of used game keys would just be too easy to exploit and game publisher/developer would want to sell their games on it. Sadly, that limitation when it comes to digital games is something that must continue to exist.

@Patrik You can't sell used games on digital platforms. You just can't.

My bad, I was referring to unused keys - I've never really tried to resell my used games but thanks for confirming that used digital games can't be resold.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

You can't sell used games on digital platforms. You just can't.

you still can sell accs if you are on PC, saw many people doing that in gaming communities/groups, i still don't know if it's legal or not, but people do it

19 hours ago, Patrik said:

you still can sell accs if you are on PC, saw many people doing that in gaming communities/groups, i still don't know if it's legal or not, but people do it

Selling accounts is something different. That's not selling games, that's selling accounts and it is not something I'd recommend anyone do.

As a Seller.

It bars you from using the same details for any future accounts on that platform. You will need to give the buyer access to your e-mail, so that email account is also gone, so rather inconvenient if you use that e-mail for anything besides that game store account. it can also be dangerous as the person buying the account can use it for, let's say, "other purposes" than playing the games in your library. They could use the account to front money laundering or sell, let's say, "controversial" digital goods, all of which could get traced back to YOU in the end. They could possibly access you phone number, social media accounts and even bank details held on that account if you're not careful.

As a Buyer

You can't be sure how those games on that account were obtained. They could have been bought with stolen credit card information (fraud), the login info could be wrong or they could change it after you bought it, especially if they have things like 2-step verification enabled or even just use fake screenshots to con people into thinking they're buying an account that doesn't actually exist.

Selling accounts is not illegal as far as I know, an even if it were it would be impossible to enforce, but it's not safe and It's certainly not a comparable substitute for selling used games on PC. I would beg anyone considering it not to do it.

Edited by Shagger

It bugs me a bit I guess. I have a few DDL's on my Switch that I don't play anymore, because they either abruptly stopped (not ended, STOPPED) or they just ended up boring me no matter how good the trailer looked. But I refuse to delete them since I paid real money for them. But if I could sell them, then believe me I would. The only way I can think to sell them would be to transfer the file to a different microSD card and sell the card. I don't know the legality or ethics of that, but it might work.

Not really, the biggest issue I have is that if they no longer offer it in the store or take it down fully, you kind of have to have it downloaded and saved on an external drive since that is your only copy then.

On 5/6/2021 at 9:47 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Does it trouble you that you cannot resell digital games you own?

Why in the world would I want to resell the games that I got for myself? If I feel like it's not important to me, I'd give it away.