Register Now
The Blackangel

Burning a game to a playable disc

Does anyone know if it's possible to take a game that is a download only, like through Steam, and burn it to disc so that you can play it on a console? If so, how would you go about doing so? I'm also wondering about cartridges too. Like erase the info on a Switch cart and put the download game on it. I'm asking because I would love to have Hatred on a disc or cart so that I don't have to always play it on PC, but can play pretty much anywhere. I'm sure some of you would like to be able to do the same with other games as well.

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

like through Steam, and burn it to disc so that you can play it on a console?

you can't play a PC game on a console or the opposite (unless you use emulation on PC and PC games can't be emulated on console) due to systems compatibility difference 

If such things were doable, everyone would do it. the Digital Rights Management (DRM) that is implemented on games from Steam and most other PC game sores make it very difficult to copy games onto disk in a way that they could be re-installed and played on another computer, never mind a console. Then there's what @Patrik said about compatibility problems between consoles and PC's. Consoles are designed, both in software and hardware, to only recognise the physical game disks or cartridges they were meant to play. To change that would require basically replacing the dick drive and the operating system of the console as well as bypassing the safeguards that have been put in place to prevent such tampering.

Sadly, @The Blackangel, I have to tell you that what you're looking to do is pretty much impossible.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

the Digital Rights Management (DRM) that is implemented on games from Steam and most other PC game sores make it very difficult to copy games onto disk in a way that they could be re-installed and played on another computer

You can actually do it by copying the game files from its local folder, whenever you execute the game on another PC, it will open your steam account on that other PC (you need the account) and check your library if the game exists there, and you can play it just fine.

But again, we are still in the PC loop :'(

1 minute ago, Patrik said:

You can actually do it by copying the game files from its local folder, whenever you execute the game on another PC, it will open your steam account on that other PC (you need the account) and check your library if the game exists there, and you can play it just fine.

But again, we are still in the PC loop 😢

That's giving the game files and DRM a chance to verify the copy, so long as the second computer is online that would work, but I think what the OP is trying to do is copy the files from one device onto another and just play the game. More specifically, a PC to a disk to be read by a console. That wouldn't work.

Just have others have been mentioning you cannot copy a Game on to a disc and have it work on a console.  It might be possible if the console is cracked but even with that I would have my doubts.  You couldn't even do it directly if you using another PC, the guy in the video that @killamch89posted is talking complete crap. What HE is doing is creating a backup disc(s) for the game so it can be reinstalled on another system without having to download it again.  A useful feature if you need to install it on another system that doesn't have access to good internet but it's NOT a playable disc.  You would still have to install the game on the new system hard drive or SSD then connect to Steam online for verification.

You used to be able to do this before DRM (Digital Rights Management) became a thing. Once copy protection appeared on game cd’s/dvd’s people developed workarounds to continue making illegitimate copies of games. Nowadays many games require updating online and/or you to be connected to a game server to play, in other cases games are so large now that it would take too many cd’s and even dvd’s to make burning to disc worthwhile.

With the affordability of internet bandwidth now it is far easier to torrent a game, albeit risky as the cracked game may well have malware/virus software hidden away. And finally with markets like Steam around, it is much wiser to wait for your favourite game to go on special and buy it legally instead.