Register Now
m76

Sell me on final fantasy...

I know next to nothing about this franchise, I'm interested in trying it out, but all the various sequels remakes and expansions leave me utterly confused and intimidated. I have zero idea where to start with it, what game is a good starting point if I have no desire to play retro games?

In terms of story, there's no reason to player older games to know what its going on with newer ones. Each Final Fantasy is set it it's own unique universe with it's own indigenous characters and stories. So when it comes to narrative, the series is very kind to new players.

FF games were all turn based JRPG's up until FFXII that had more of a live combat/open world approach, so if you're not into turn based combat, anything before XII is probably not the right place to start.

The more recent release of Final Fantasy XII called The Zodiac Age might actually be a good place to start as it does play like a modern western PRG in a lot of ways, but is still very much bilt on strategy like all FF games are.

The Final Fantasy VII Remake is 100% modern and is a great game overall, but I would say I don't think the narrative is as good as it is in XII, but that's just me. Most others FF fans would probably disagree.

If the turn based combat does appeal, then without doubt the right place to start is with the Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster, especially if you can get it on PC. That includes two huge games and another super story. FF X-2 was the first sequel in the franchises history, which is interesting given that series had been going so long even at the time.

Whatever you do though, avoid anything Final Fantasy XII because that's garbage.

You can really start from anywhere.  Each is set in its own universe so can go in blind without playing any of the others.

If you have no desire to play "retro" then anywhere from X (X/X-2 Remaster) forward look modern enough for you.  XI and XIV are MMO's so they probably don't count unless your interested in that, although I think XI is long dead at this point.  Avoid XIII and it's sequels like the plauge though.

I agree a good place to start is FFX. That's where I started and it has a really good story. The turn based fighting is really fun, and challenging at times if you like challenge. Some fights took me around an hour from what I remember. Lots of strategy involved. But it's fun. I was new to turn based fighting but thought to give it a try and FFX impressed the hell out of me. There is also a remaster for it and X-2 package. I would try that first before getting hyped with remakes. 

In all honesty, I recommend FF8. It introduced many new features that previous games hadn't been equipped with such as the junction system. There is so much in depth, both story, and side quests. Your characters grow and change in front of you. Your weapons are upgradeable with the right items. The GF's can learn different abilities, and have a love/hate relationship with your characters. There are things hidden in the game that you will never know about or how to even solve, on your first several play throughs unless you have a guide or look online. You won't find the Solomon Ring, Deep Sea Research Center, or where several of the GF's even are. Some are drawn from enemies, some are fought, and others are just found by luck. The only required GF in the game is Ifrit. The other 15 are completely optional. As is the semi-GF Odin, but I recommend against getting him.

I recommend staying away from FF7 and FF13. Both were completely worthless. The majority of the FF community will call me insane, but I absolutely despise FF7. And what everyone has told you about FF13 is true. It's the worst in the series second only to FF7. I've played every FF game up through FF9. Many have been decades since, some I don't even have anymore, so I can't really help you with them anymore.

There are more fan fiction theories about FF8 than any other in the series. Sure they all have theirs, but FF8 has garnered more than any other entry. Some seemingly plausible, others coming from the minds of crackheads. But the underlying stories that come into being and become revealed as the game progresses on, are nothing short of spell binding.

FF8 is nothing short of a true masterpiece.

Just watch the opening sequence and decide for yourself.

Edited by The Blackangel

Honestly, the storylines in most iterations is really done well and the characters tend to grow on you after a while, the bonds that they develop and the tragic scenes really move you. The turn-based system of older games might get a bit tedious but the animations are well done and on top of that, there's dozens of stuff to find in-game. As @Crazycrab said, you can literally start from everywhere because most iterations barring Final Fantasy X and X-2, occur in their own separate timelines with no connections to each other.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:11 PM, m76 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I got VIII Remastered and X / X-2 Remastered, but I didn't install them yet. It might take a while to get around to them.

I feel the need to make a small point about X/X-2 Remastered.  When starting X you Will be given a choice between the standard sphere grid and the expert one.  FORGET THE STANDARD GRID!  It sucks because your party will be significantly weaker and the post game is pretty much impossible.  The expert grid might be a little harder to follow for a newcomer but you've got us help you if unsure what to do.

Since this post started, I've gone ahead and started a new play through for X and I don't remember being given the choice. I looked it up and I think that's only available in international versions of the game. Why it's not in the U.S. version, who knows. Maybe Europeans are just smarter and need more challenge than us dumb N. Americans. 

16 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Since this post started, I've gone ahead and started a new play through for X and I don't remember being given the choice. I looked it up and I think that's only available in international versions of the game. Why it's not in the U.S. version, who knows. Maybe Europeans are just smarter and need more challenge than us dumb N. Americans. 

We elected Bush twice. We're past having to remind people that we're stupid.

14 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

In the original North American release the option of playing with the expert sphere grid was omitted.  Square Enix seemed to have this idea that American fans would be to dumb to understand it.  The X/X-2 remastered versions include it now.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:50 PM, Shagger said:

In terms of story, there's no reason to player older games to know what its going on with newer ones. Each Final Fantasy is set it it's own unique universe with it's own indigenous characters and stories. So when it comes to narrative, the series is very kind to new players.

FF games were all turn based JRPG's up until FFXII that had more of a live combat/open world approach, so if you're not into turn based combat, anything before XII is probably not the right place to start.

The more recent release of Final Fantasy XII called The Zodiac Age might actually be a good place to start as it does play like a modern western PRG in a lot of ways, but is still very much bilt on strategy like all FF games are.

The Final Fantasy VII Remake is 100% modern and is a great game overall, but I would say I don't think the narrative is as good as it is in XII, but that's just me. Most others FF fans would probably disagree.

If the turn based combat does appeal, then without doubt the right place to start is with the Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster, especially if you can get it on PC. That includes two huge games and another super story. FF X-2 was the first sequel in the franchises history, which is interesting given that series had been going so long even at the time.

Whatever you do though, avoid anything Final Fantasy XII because that's garbage.

Thanks to the heavens that I'm not the only who had the same feelings about Final Fantasy XII being a complete disaster.