Register Now
killamch89

What's Your Opinion On Walkthroughs

In my opinion, walkthroughs should be the absolute last resort when playing any video game as this usually cheapens the experience - at least for me that is. I like to figure things out on my own as it gives me a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment when I get right. How do you feel about walkthroughs?

I've used them for a long time for certain things. I don't think it cheapens anything. Quite the contrary. They can be an invaluable tool. There are so many games that get to a point and you have no clues what you're supposed to do to move forward. Caraways mansion, FF8 Disc 1, for example. Who would actually think to put a champagne glass in the statues hand? Who is going to look for things that aren't obvious things? Several of the GF's are in that category.

Depends on the game whether a walkthrough is necessary. For Call of Duty? No one should need one (except maybe for multiplayer).

For Dark Souls/Minecraft/many older games? Well I for one wouldn't have got past the Capra Demon without a walkthrough in Dark Souls. Walkthroughs certainly have their place, and I respect the gamers who write these things up. So much detail.

In fact, sometimes I will read a walkthrough of a game I know very well just to see how the author got through certain parts, or what he thinks of certain systems and such.

If a game can't be completed without a walkthrough then there is something wrong with the game.  It is probably designed poorly,instead of requiring intelligence it requires the player to guess wtf was the designer thinking.

14 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I've used them for a long time for certain things. I don't think it cheapens anything. Quite the contrary. They can be an invaluable tool. There are so many games that get to a point and you have no clues what you're supposed to do to move forward. Caraways mansion, FF8 Disc 1, for example. Who would actually think to put a champagne glass in the statues hand? Who is going to look for things that aren't obvious things? Several of the GF's are in that category.

I can agree with the fact that you only become aware of certain hidden items/functions when you use a walkthrough. What I meant is some people use it for every little thing instead of trying to explore the game and see what you can find on your own.

3 hours ago, Patrik said:

I watch them only when i'm really stuck in some point and out of ideas, or when some game is interesting for me but playing it makes no fun 

I agree with using it when you run out of ideas.

On 5/20/2021 at 4:32 AM, killamch89 said:

In my opinion, walkthroughs should be the absolute last resort when playing any video game as this usually cheapens the experience - at least for me that is. I like to figure things out on my own as it gives me a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment when I get right. How do you feel about walkthroughs?

Personally, I don't really think that it's something that is necessarily important. Only the tutorials on how to play is better to make the gaming experience worth it. 

On 5/21/2021 at 6:26 AM, killamch89 said:

I can agree with the fact that you only become aware of certain hidden items/functions when you use a walkthrough. What I meant is some people use it for every little thing instead of trying to explore the game and see what you can find on your own.

I do understand and agree with the point. But it completely depends upon you if you take help from such walkthroughs. I personally see no harm in such videos.

it actually helped me in many cases where I get stuck and unable to clear the obstacles or missions. I remember last time I used such walkthrough in SOTR game.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:56 AM, killamch89 said:

I agree with using it when you run out of ideas.

Definitely, it's going to be very helpful for one when all ideas seems to have run out, it wouldn't really be a bad thing.