Register Now
killamch89

Do You Think That Video Games Should Have Strict Ratings or Have A Strict Rating System

We already know about the rating system from the ESRB that is worth diddly squat to anyone and the ratings normally doesn't match the video game in question. I think that the entire rating system needs to stricter when handing out ratings. What are your thoughts about this?

1 hour ago, Patrik said:

Even if a strict rating gets applied, people that aren't supposed to play those games will still play them, just like how every kid had GTA in his childhood

That's a valid point to be fair because I was playing Mortal Kombat as a kid and it was considered the most violent game in existence at the time.

Just now, killamch89 said:

That's a valid point to be fair because I was playing Mortal Kombat as a kid and it was considered the most violent game in existence at the time.

yes lol, that's why they even ban games in some countries, because rating wasn't enough to prevent people from playing games they aren't supposed to

On 5/21/2021 at 12:52 AM, killamch89 said:

Seriously, it's not really going to matter much in my opinion making the rating system strick, because it's always going to vary from one person to another. 

I do agree that stricter rating system is required. The current ESRB rating system is little bit outdated, and even if they are still rating games, people are not following their rules. 

We need a complete overhaul of the current rating system so that people should follow it strictly.

1 hour ago, Razor1911 said:

I do agree that stricter rating system is required. The current ESRB rating system is little bit outdated, and even if they are still rating games, people are not following their rules. 

We need a complete overhaul of the current rating system so that people should follow it strictly.

If their rules aren't followed while giving the rating, I'm not sure if such rating is going to stand or matter. What do you think? 

On 7/22/2021 at 12:40 AM, Heatman said:

If their rules aren't followed while giving the rating, I'm not sure if such rating is going to stand or matter. What do you think? 

That is why I was stating that a complete overhaul or restructure of the rating system is required. And also the local authorities in the places where the games are sold, should have vigilant eyes.

For example, if a game is being sold in Philippines, then the local authorities there should take care of all the rules and regulations as stated by ESRB.

On 7/24/2021 at 8:50 AM, Razor1911 said:

That is why I was stating that a complete overhaul or restructure of the rating system is required. And also the local authorities in the places where the games are sold, should have vigilant eyes.

For example, if a game is being sold in Philippines, then the local authorities there should take care of all the rules and regulations as stated by ESRB.

I'm very sure that if all that can be executed, it's definitely going to be of very good help to the rating system but it's not going to be easy and it will cost a great deal of resources. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

I'm very sure that if all that can be executed, it's definitely going to be of very good help to the rating system but it's not going to be easy and it will cost a great deal of resources. 

Yeah, and the global gaming community needs to come together for this, Which is highly unlikely though. 😏

But there is no fault from ESRB side, they are rating games as they should, only thing is required is some strictness while implementing those rules.

We don't need a more strict rating system, what we need is for parents/guardians to respect the systems we already have. There are still to many adults out there who don't respect video games as an entertainment media the same way they look at movies and television. They still see video games as "toys" to then be appalled to find these "toys" are full of violence, sex and so on. It never occurs to them that it's their fault for ignoring the badge on the front with a big age stamp or "M Rated" or whatever. PEGI, the ESRB and the other rating agencies out there aren't perfect, but it's hardly thier fault if ignorant parents choose to ignore their advice. No new system will fix the fundamental problem no matter how strict it is.

Edited by Shagger

37 minutes ago, Shagger said:

We don't need a more strict rating system, what we need is for parents/guardians to respect the systems we already have. There are still to many adults out there who don't respect video games as an entertainment media the same way they look at movies and television. They still see video games as "toys" to then be appalled to find these "toys" are full of violence, sex and so on. It never occurs to them that it's their fault for ignoring the badge on the front with a big age stamp or "M Rated" or whatever. PEGI, the ESRB and the other rating agencies out there aren't perfect, but it's hardly thier fault if ignorant parents choose to ignore their advice. No new system will fix the fundamental problem no matter how strict it is.

Seriously, I very much agree with you on the last sentence of your opinion because after all possible consideration, practically there won't be any fix with a new system. 

They have a strict rating system.... Depending upon what exactly they are rating.  I've seen some Japanese RPG's rated PEGI 16+ for "mild fantasy fantasy violence" and "partial nudity".  That meaning that they swing swords at enemies and strike with zero blood and there's a girl showing a little midriff plus a guy with his shirt of.

Then you get games like FIFA and MADDEN that have legit gambling in them and thier rated PEGI 3...  It all depends on what suits them.

59 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

Yeah, and the global gaming community needs to come together for this, Which is highly unlikely though. 😏

But there is no fault from ESRB side, they are rating games as they should, only thing is required is some strictness while implementing those rules.

Seriously, in the end we keep hoping to have a lot of changes done to it and it's all up to them to decide what's best to do, although I'm not sure anything would be done anytime sooner.