Register Now
killamch89

Would you rather know everything or be amazing at any activity you tried?

Knowing everything will make a person insane and depressed. I wish I knew everything about Earth and human history though. I mean, did bacteria cells mutate to create multicellular organisms? Are we all just colonies of bacteria that formed nerve connections and a brain? Are frogs and monkeys our ancestors? Neanderthals looked like apes and we mated with them. What did Neanderthals evolve from? It's all crazy to think about. I'm officially insane for thinking too much. Luckily we have the thought police to brainwash us so we don't have to think about anything. Whew. 

Knowing everything is just greed and makes you an smartass and people won't love you for that. You be alone in the world and people will be like, you are boring. Rather be amazed at things that I try my best and at the end of it, that's having FUN

I already kind of know everything. I have a keen understanding of anything technical and even in fields completely new to me I can deduce how things work within minutes. Give me 10 minutes on a technical subject and I'll be instructing others who get stuck.

That said if you think knowing a process in theory translates to being able to do it in practice you are gravely mistaken. Most jobs take years of practice and accumulated experience to be proficient at. I may have a head start by instantly understanding everything, but that still means there is a learning curve. I don't shy away from doing anything, but the first attempt will probably take me 3-4x time if not more than it would take someone who does it for a living. As for the quality it is mostly limited by the tools available, I mean most jobs need specialized tools without which I can only do so much.

20 minutes ago, m76 said:

I already kind of know everything.

giphy.gif.8d4f1d7f3e5da163540613c4e443d3ee.gif

With all due respect, anyone who would claim that about themselves is not only arrogant, but also not very smart. I read your entire post and I'll believe you when you say that have a quick grasp at technical theory, but the very fact that you point out that it still takes practice and learning to master skills completely denounces that claim "you know everything". It does take learning, it does take practice and it does trying and failing multiple times times to perfect any skill or discipline. There is no master of any craft that would claim to know everything. Even if one has learned all there is to know about something, doesn't mean there isn't something new to discover. Smart people in that position are not satisfied by "knowing everything", they push the boundaries to discover something new and better. That's how science, engineering, medicine, civilisation itself advances. If humans believed we "knew everything", we'd all still be living in caves hitting animals with sticks so we could eat.

You can't know everything, that's ridiculous. All you've really proven by saying that is how much you actually have left to learn.

On topic, I wouldn't rather be amazing at any activity because, like I implied above, knowing everything is pretty much unattainable. Even if if it were attainable, I don't think I would be able to cope with the pressure of being that smart. I'd image it being a very lonely. Like, nobody would be at your level and nobody would really be able to get close to you. Having ultimate talent would at least be more social.

Edited by Shagger

26 minutes ago, Shagger said:

giphy.gif.8d4f1d7f3e5da163540613c4e443d3ee.gif

With all due respect, anyone who would claim that about themselves is not only arrogant, but also not very smart. I read your entire post and I'll believe you when you say that have a quick grasp at technical theory, but the very fact that you point out that it still takes practice and learning to master skills completely denounces that claim "you know everything". It does take learning, it does take practice and it does trying and failing multiple times times to perfect any skill or discipline. There is no master of any craft that would claim to know everything. Even if one has learned all there is to know about something, doesn't mean there isn't something new to discover. Smart people in that position are not satisfied by "knowing everything", they push the boundaries to discover something new and better. That's how science, engineering, medicine, civilisation itself advances. If humans believed we "knew everything", we'd all still be living in caves hitting animals with sticks so we could eat.

You can't know everything, that's ridiculous. All you've really proven by saying that is how much you actually have left to learn.

I expected nothing less from you, than a personal attack yet again. You obviously understood what I meant, yet you insisted on taking it in the worst possible way. You did notice the qualifier "kind of" did you not? Yet you proceeded to ignore it. 

Knowing cannot replace practice, that was the gist of the point I was making. For example I know perfectly well how to weld, but I have no practice in it, so if I tried to weld right now it wouldn't turn out very good, despite knowing welding.

The OP wasn't very elaborate I interpreted it as knowing how things work, not knowing literally everything, as in every bit of information available, no matter how obscure or irrelevant. If you really thought that's what I meant then again you are disrespecting me. Either way if you can do naught but attack me, then please leave me alone.

Edited by m76

4 hours ago, m76 said:

I expected nothing less from you, than a personal attack yet again. You obviously understood what I meant, yet you insisted on taking it in the worst possible way. You did notice the qualifier "kind of" did you not? Yet you proceeded to ignore it. 

Knowing cannot replace practice, that was the gist of the point I was making. For example I know perfectly well how to weld, but I have no practice in it, so if I tried to weld right now it wouldn't turn out very good, despite knowing welding.

The OP wasn't very elaborate I interpreted it as knowing how things work, not knowing literally everything, as in every bit of information available, no matter how obscure or irrelevant. If you really thought that's what I meant then again you are disrespecting me. Either way if you can do naught but attack me, then please leave me alone.

Well, I know from real world experience that knowing weld theory and actually welding are very different things. Trust me, you do NOT know how weld, but I do. Truth be told, I'm not brilliant at it and will most likely be even worse now as I'm very out of practice, but the point is you can't claim you're able to do something just because you've studied the theory. Weld theory isn't even that difficult to understand anyway, so it's not a great thing to boast about.

Like knowing how to weld in theory and welding in the real world are not even close to the same, you having your ego bruised and me deliberately attacking you are not same thing either. I was just giving to you straight, it's hardly my fault if you can't take criticism. Besides, I think you do need some humility. Deep down, there is at least a part of you that genuinely believes that you're better and that has cursed you with a very real problem. Whenever anything or anyone comes along with something that challenges what you believe and what you think what you know, you dismiss it. It's really crippled your ability to learn. So not only are you not as smart as you think you are, you will never be if you maintain this kind of attitude. Believe it or not, I'm actually trying to help you.

Edited by Shagger

5 hours ago, Empire said:

Knowing everything is just greed and makes you an smartass and people won't love you for that. You'd be alone in the world and people will be like, you are boring. Rather be amazed at things that I try my best and at the end of it, that's having FUN

What's the downside?

2 hours ago, m76 said:

I already kind of know everything. I have a keen understanding of anything technical and even in fields completely new to me I can deduce how things work within minutes. Give me 10 minutes on a technical subject and I'll be instructing others who get stuck.

That is one of the most narcissistic statements I have ever read.

15 hours ago, Steerminator said:

Although I doubt the human brain can handle that level of information.

You're probably right on that one. There's only so much the mind can handle, and too much can make it shut down. Now, that's not to say that we should quit trying to learn. Intentionally doing that means that the individual is truly stupid, no matter what their IQ is or what level of education they have reached, such as a masters or PhD. Personally, I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little. But I know everything about absolutely nothing. And I know nothing about almost everything. I'm fine with that. Why, you ask? Because it leaves me with more options than I can count for things to learn about. And learning on my own terms is how I learn best. I love knowledge, and desire more about several topics. Many of which I will never achieve. But that doesn't mean I will stop trying to learn them.

Neither? I like learning, and knowing everything and being good at everything would suck a lot of that joy out of life. Plus, the unique ways we learn are part of what makes us into individuals.

If I have to choose, I will go with being good at everything, as then I would be good at making bank, and then I'd have $$$$ to help people.

Plus, I don't think knowing everything is possible being as some things are subjective. And actually, if one did have to truly know the subjective experience of all organisms (not just as theory, but experientially) ... it would be a hellish nightmare.

Edited by StaceyPowers