Register Now
StaceyPowers

Would you rather be automatically amazing at every game you play or automatically terrible?

I disagree, being amazing at games is not boring. What's fun in games is the process of winning, the actions you take to achieve a desired outcome. Succeeding on the first try doesn't make it any less thrilling and fun. It can even be more rewarding.

Being terrible at a game leads to nothing but frustration, if I experience nothing but failure with a game it is likely that I'll quit playing entirely. Some failures don't hurt, but getting beaten by the game constantly is not a good experience.

Edited by m76

The human animal buy it's very nature wants to overcome a challenge when it's presented with one. Failure to do so breeds despair, frustration and anger. When a video game presents a challenge that doesn't live up to the promise it is a little bit of a let down, but I would take that over having to deal with the aforementioned despair, frustration and anger every time because a game, even if it's not very hard, can still redeem itself and offer a fulfilling experience through a good narrative experience. A game unfairly balanced to your detriment wouldn't be able to offer much of anything.

On 8/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, StaceyPowers said:

If you were forced to choose, would you rather be automatically amazing at every game or automatically terrible?

I figure the obvious answer is “amazing,” but I can also imagine this being a rather boring fate.

If I'm too good to for the game, I don't see any reason why I'd play the game more than once. You're right about it being one hell of a boring session. 

I would want to be terrible. It gives me a goal to aim for, which is becoming good at the game, and beating it. You all know that I have been trying to beat a specific game for over 30 years, and had no luck so far. But I am more determined than ever to do it. The challenge is worth it, and I love this game more than I did 10, 20, and even 30 years ago. I will beat it eventually.

Also when you master a game, it loses its allure. For example there is literally nothing I don't know about Zelda: A Link To The Past on SNES. I have mastered that game completely in every way. Thus, nowadays, it's pretty much boring and nothing but a time eater, or just something to keep my hands busy.

So being terrible at games would be more rewarding for me than immediately being amazing at games.

I play to be competitive so I would much rather be automatically amazing at every game that I play. It would get incredibly boring if you were terrible at every single game you play because most of the time, you would be losing every single game you play.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I would want to be terrible. It gives me a goal to aim for, which is becoming good at the game, and beating it. You all know that I have been trying to beat a specific game for over 30 years, and had no luck so far. But I am more determined than ever to do it. The challenge is worth it, and I love this game more than I did 10, 20, and even 30 years ago. I will beat it eventually.

Also when you master a game, it loses its allure. For example there is literally nothing I don't know about Zelda: A Link To The Past on SNES. I have mastered that game completely in every way. Thus, nowadays, it's pretty much boring and nothing but a time eater, or just something to keep my hands busy.

So being terrible at games would be more rewarding for me than immediately being amazing at games.

Seriously - I kind of agree with you on this one because if you're terrible at a game, you would push yourself to get better at it and definitely would get better. 

2 hours ago, Darth said:

I play to be competitive so I would much rather be automatically amazing at every game that I play. It would get incredibly boring if you were terrible at every single game you play because most of the time, you would be losing every single game you play.

Well, I actually believe that it's in your losing that a lesson is learnt. It's actually what makes it fun for most people. 

Look at games like Call of Duty though. You're not going to learn much if you keep getting killed over and over again. You're not going to learn much from losing in games where reaction times and aim matters, other than the fact that you just need to get better.

3 hours ago, Darth said:

Look at games like Call of Duty though. You're not going to learn much if you keep getting killed over and over again. You're not going to learn much from losing in games where reaction times and aim matters, other than the fact that you just need to get better.

Yes, when you don't evaluate your gameplay to see where you went about your tactics wrong, you will never learn.