Register Now
StaceyPowers

What toxic behaviors do games perpetuate/teach?

To quote the Travelling Wilbury's 'Tweeter and the Monkeyman,' "in Jersey anything's legal as long as you don't get caught." In other words, any behaviours that go unpunished.

It's something that can't really be helped because developers and publishers can't hire enough eyes and ears to go through all the reports of bots, scams, and God only knows what coming their way. So when people feel powerless to cheaters they think they might as well join them, and that complacency from developers breeds problems further, spreading into other games.

That said, it can go too far. Blizzard Entertainment, in a bid to stop people getting upset, banned the term 'GG' in Overwatch. This had created a lot more friction between players because they feel that's too draconic, and will either take their custom elsewhere, or their ire elsewhere (such as forums). Toxic positivity is still toxic, after all. See when Final Fantasy XIV had its surge of players when Asmongold went there to play.

On 9/27/2021 at 2:00 AM, killamch89 said:

There is the occasional squabble here but nothing too out of hand and usually most of us and the moderator step in to make sure it doesn't.

Yeah - it's actually their job or should I say his job which he does perfectly. Although, I believe that most of us here are mature enough, so we reason together well. 

On 9/24/2021 at 3:55 PM, Heatman said:

In a video game where horrible crimes against humanity is carried out like in Spec Ops : The Line with the use of white phosphorus, I wonder the lesson it teaches? 

I've never played this game, but maybe it's an example of what not to do.  I feel like sometimes we need those examples.

Just now, Family sedan said:

I've never played this game, but maybe it's an example of what not to do.  I feel like sometimes we need those examples.

To some extent, there are some people who couldn't get into the game as a result of that level of violence in it with my junior brother as a case study. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah - it's actually their job or should I say his job which he does perfectly. Although, I believe that most of us here are mature enough, so we reason together well. 

That too and as I said before, most of us don't like drama.

On 9/27/2021 at 2:00 AM, killamch89 said:

There is the occasional squabble here but nothing too out of hand and usually most of us and the moderator step in to make sure it doesn't.

That's good that the mod is working tremendously when their is squabble to calm the tempo and make the forum a peaceful community for everyone. 

On 10/2/2021 at 12:22 AM, killamch89 said:

That too and as I said before, most of us don't like drama.

Seriously, it makes me feel sick. I can't deal enough with the ones that I'm getting from my ladies in the house and not to add more from online community. 

My parents always say gaming is children's play, that they wonder how I get entertained with that. To be frank, that's a toxic word, I don't like hearing when anyone even if its my parents, criticizing the video game which satisfies me.