Register Now
DC

Resetera sold for $4.5 million

I went through the link you posted about 'Resetera.com. The new owners being MOBA.com E-sports company has high expectations for the gaming forum. The forum worth the estimated $4.5 million purchase, with the statistics I saw around the forum. I am hopeful the new management won't drive the forum low, they'll deliver the best 'Resetera. 

I don't think you can physically make resetera worse than it already is. I used to be a member on Neogaf, which was resetera's predecessor until the big exodus after the forum admin was revealed to be a perv. And it was the most toxic "community" I've ever seen. And resetera is neogaf on steroids, from what I've seen and heard about the place.

2 hours ago, m76 said:

I don't think you can physically make resetera worse than it already is. I used to be a member on Neogaf, which was resetera's predecessor until the big exodus after the forum admin was revealed to be a perv. And it was the most toxic "community" I've ever seen. And resetera is neogaf on steroids, from what I've seen and heard about the place.

Can definitely vouch for the toxicity of Neogaf. That's why I never went back there.

3 hours ago, m76 said:

Resetera isn't Neogaff on steroids. In fact, so far as I can tell, they're quite different from each other. The two are like the bookends of extremes in gamming. Neogaff is very "bro-gamer" culture, more right wing and stands against censorship, whereas Recetera is more on the left, endorses cancel culture and more stands for inclusivity. Both take thier ideology's too far and are both as bad as each other as a result. They are both toxic and both poisonous to associate with, but to say Resetera is "Neogaff on steroids" is a little simplistic and misleading.

One thing for sure though, we're all better of here on VGR.

Edited by Shagger

Yes, we are better off being here at VGR forum, instead of looking elsewhere where toxicity becomes normal norm there. The forum 'Resetera.com got large user-base spanning over 55,000 users, that's impressive though. But I am hopeful VGR forum will surpass that in the future. 

10 hours ago, Shagger said:

Resetera isn't Neogaff on steroids. In fact, so far as I can tell, they're quite different from each other. The two are like the bookends of extremes in gamming. Neogaff is very "bro-gamer" culture, more right wing and stands against censorship, whereas Recetera is more on the left, endorses cancel culture and more stands for inclusivity. Both take thier ideology's too far and are both as bad as each other as a result. They are both toxic and both poisonous to associate with, but to say Resetera is "Neogaff on steroids" is a little simplistic and misleading.

One thing for sure though, we're all better of here on VGR.

Resetera was  formed by former neogaf moderators, so I assume they took their values with them. I don't know what neogaf is like right now, my experience with it is from 2014.  So let's just say resetera is 2014 neogaf on steroids. In 2014 neogaf was definitely pro censorship and cancel culture. The topic didn't matter you either towed the official consensus or got cancelled. Like I was. And it wasn't about politics either. as political influences in game development wasn't a common topic back then. It was merely that I was skeptical about a game everyone was hyped up about. It didn't matter that I was proven right when the game came out, I already had my fill with that 'community' at that point.

As I've seen on resetera taking even centrist or moderate left positions gets people banned or at least suspended.

10 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

Yes, we are better off being here at VGR forum, instead of looking elsewhere where toxicity becomes normal norm there. The forum 'Resetera.com got large user-base spanning over 55,000 users, that's impressive though. But I am hopeful VGR forum will surpass that in the future. 

I wish the best for VGR forum, but having such a large user base might be good for ad revenue and clockthrough rate, but definitely isn't conducive to a healthy community. It is impossible to have a conversation when a topic gets a 100 new posts every minute.

3 minutes ago, m76 said:

Resetera was  formed by former neogaf moderators, so I assume they took their values with them. I don't know what neogaf is like right now, my experience with it is from 2014.  So let's just say resetera is 2014 neogaf on steroids. In 2014 neogaf was definitely pro censorship and cancel culture. The topic didn't matter you either towed the official consensus or got cancelled. Like I was. And it wasn't about politics either. as political influences in game development wasn't a common topic back then. It was merely that I was skeptical about a game everyone was hyped up about. It didn't matter that I was proven right when the game came out, I already had my fill with that 'community' at that point.

As I've seen on resetera taking even centrist or moderate left positions gets people banned or at least suspended.

Well, my experience of Neogaff is more recent, but no better than what you describe. I gotta be honest, I only know resetera through reputation and what is posted on Reddit and YouTube, so take what I say with a grain salt. Either way, they're both best avoided.

2 minutes ago, m76 said:

I wish the best for VGR forum, but having such a large user base might be good for ad revenue and clockthrough rate, but definitely isn't conducive to a healthy community. It is impossible to have a conversation when a topic gets a 100 new posts every minute.

Couldn't agree more. I wish success for the site, but not at the expense of the community. This forum could grow a bit more and still be great, but if it got to the point of Neogaff it's inevitable that it will become less hospitable.

2 minutes ago, m76 said:

Yeah, VGR success all the way. With the large user-base of the forum, it is also welcome for Ads monetization, but at times Ads are intrusive and members dislike it when it pops up too much. For me, when the topics gets much, I'll enjoy it, because it will give me surplus of topics to engage on. 

16 hours ago, Shagger said:

Couldn't agree more. I wish success for the site, but not at the expense of the community. This forum could grow a bit more and still be great, but if it got to the point of Neogaff it's inevitable that it will become less hospitable.

Neogaff was a crazy place - I think I only spent two weeks on that forum before I closed my account but those people were really something else...I don't know much about Resetera outside of reputation either and I avoided it like the plague.