Register Now
Rain Dew

Should all games be able to play both 3rd and 1st person?

I think so. I cannot play fist person games, they scare me too much. Because of this I miss out on a lit of games that look fun to play. The most recent game that I want to play is the new Resident Evil game, Resident Evil 8 The Village. Unfortunately it’s only in first person so all I can do is watch it played on YouTube, along with other first person games. My favorite YouTube gamer to watch is TheRadBrad, which for a time I thought it was TheRedBrad lol.

It all depends on the game. Some games just couldn't work in one of the two view points. For example Layers Of Fear: Legacy would never work in third person. It would completely break the immersion of the game, and the horror aspect would be gone. And that's what the game is. A first person Rose Red-esque horror game. But take a game like RDR2, and put it in first person, and the only thing I will do is die repeatedly. I can't see a damn thing in first person in that kind of game. I have to be able to see the environment all around me, or I'm wasting my time even owning the game.

One game that I will always love that's first person is Hexen. That one is great, and was honestly my introduction to first person games. I had never been into Doom, because I was never a big fan of games that required a gun. And I'm still not, for the most part. So I never really saw any kind of first person games.

If the creators want to offer both viewpoints on a game, then that's on them. I think it would open up their sales reach drastically. But some games just can't pull off one or the other, and still be a good game.

My 2 cents anyway.

If I had to choose, I'd prefer 3rd person. I know many people say 1st person increases their immersion, but it doesn't for me. Instead, it takes me out of immersion. It's like I'm viewing life with those horse blinder things on. I have virtually no peripheral vision. In many games, if I look down, I don't even see bits of me.

4 hours ago, Empire said:

If I had to choose, I'd prefer 3rd person. I know many people say 1st person increases their immersion, but it doesn't for me. Instead, it takes me out of immersion. It's like I'm viewing life with those horse blinder things on. I have virtually no peripheral vision. In many games, if I look down, I don't even see bits of me.

Exactly. I can't see anything. It's tunnel vision on steroids. I can't see what I'm doing, where I'm going, or what's around me. And as another example, if you're hunting an apex predator in a game, how are you supposed to react if it comes up from behind you? You'll be lucky to know, because a lot of them move so fast and silent that you don't know what the hell is going on until you're already dead.

I think games should have that option, but some games as mentioned like Layers of Fear would spoil it in 3rd person. I like what Evil Within 2 did being able to switch between the two. Horror games I think is where breaking immersion can happen in 3rd. But Evil Within 2 has outdoor gameplay as well as indoor. I like to play in 1st person while indoors in horror games. Outside, I need it to be in 3rd so I can see what's going on. Trying to run and shoot when you get scared makes the camera swing around like crazy in 1st person and its hard to aim. Then you run like a crazy person not knowing where to go. In close quarters indoors it's just different. So props to EW2 for recognizing that option. 

14 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

If we can have the option of choosing any of them in a particular action/adventure game it will definitely make sense though, since we have multi option on what to choose. 

Yes it will be nice if we can have  both options for us to choose. 

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Let's see if the feature can be added to video games, for gamers to make their selection as it pleases to them.

As far as I'm concerned, they always update any feature they want in games but they will always consider what's in it for them. 

14 hours ago, Heatman said:

As far as I'm concerned, they always update any feature they want in games but they will always consider what's in it for them. 

They only do things pleasing to them alone, that's selfish, without taking surveys about what their gamers feel.