Register Now
Shagger

GTA The Trilogy "Definitive Edition". Em, no it isn't

As I as sure most of you are aware, a collection of the PS2 era GTA games that have been "remastered" for modern hardware was released this week, and it's been a train wreck.

There has been bad remasters before, Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning and Warcraft 3: Reforged come to mind, but I'm think this may be the worst. With bugs, glitches, performance issues and strange graphics that that make the games almost unplayable, that alone would be enough, but like KOA and Warcraft 3 they almost managed to ruin the old games buy pulling them from sale or "replacing" them with the new, inferior version. Rockstar have taken this even further by sniping mods for the old games as well, mods that look a hell of a lot better than what Grove Street Games could deliver.

It only gets even worse from there. First there's the snarky attitude from Grove Street Game's CEO;

image_2021-11-14_122712.png.332c687199039cee06c9854c6193eae7.png

The fact that PC players who bought the game can't access it right now and how Take Two and Rockstar are stalling on refunds, this really could be the worst. Anyone who, like me, almost bought this really dodged a bullet. This goes to show why you should never pre-order. Even when it's games that were "finished" 15-20 years ago, you can still trust the "AAA" game's industry to completely cock it up.

Edited by Shagger

I was getting positive news around GTA trilogy version, with the information you have shared I'm beginning to retreat from thinking about the game being awesome without playing it. GTA dev 'Rock-star should do something about this latest new gen video game and correct the errors before it ruins their solid reputation. 

it baffles me that almost every remaster that has come out over the past few years have been complete and utter fuck-ups just goes to show how incompetent the devs are at even just doing remasters of games they've previously worked on, seriously this is like doing your homework and scoring and 89% then copying it with knowledge of knowing what you did wrong and somehow scoring a 58%.

On 11/14/2021 at 1:32 PM, Shagger said:

As I as sure most of you are aware, a collection of the PS2 era GTA games that have been "remastered" for modern hardware was released this week, and it's been a train wreck.

There has been bad remasters before, Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning and Warcraft 3: Reforged come to mind, but I'm think this may be the worst. With bugs, glitches, performance issues and strange graphics that that make the games almost unplayable, that alone would be enough, but like KOA and Warcraft 3 they almost managed to ruin the old games buy pulling them from sale or "replacing" them with the new, inferior version. Rockstar have taken this even further by sniping mods for the old games as well, mods that look a hell of a lot better than what Grove Street Games could deliver.

It only gets even worse from there. First there's the snarky attitude from Grove Street Game's CEO;

image_2021-11-14_122712.png.332c687199039cee06c9854c6193eae7.png

The fact that PC players who bought the game can't access it right now and how Take Two and Rockstar are stalling on refunds, this really could be the worst. Anyone who, like me, almost bought this really dodged a bullet. This goes to show why you should pre-order. Even when it's games that were "finished" 15-20 years ago, you can still trust the "AAA" game's industry to completely cock it up.

Aren't these companies always bringing so many irregularities with their games. They would make a trash game and still won't refund. Isn't that madness? 

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Even Rockstar can't remake a proper game nowadays - it's become the new industry standard to release absolutely busted games and fix it later.

The reason why it is like that, it's because, video games can't replicate real life shows or actions. It can't be made bug free because humans are behind it's creation. 

Gonna give it to Rockstar, they confidently release a broken remastered of a couple decades old games that barely hold up 60 fps on Series X at the same week with Forza Horizon 5, which is one of the best looking games right now that can run at locked 60 fps up to 4K resolution.

18 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Even Rockstar can't remake a proper game nowadays - it's become the new industry standard to release absolutely busted games and fix it later.

I bet that they wouldn't disappoint with the GTA 6 whenever they are ready with its make. 

Rockstar has issued an apology for the state of this game on thier official website alongside announcements for planned fixes and patches alongside an announcement the original, classic versions titles are going to go back up for sale on PC and offered freely for anyone who purchased the definitive edition on PC.

Hi everyone,

We want to provide an update regarding the unexpected technical issues that came to light as part of the launch of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition.

Firstly, we want to sincerely apologize to everyone who has encountered issues playing these games.

The Grand Theft Auto series — and the games that make up this iconic trilogy — are as special to us as we know they are to fans around the world. The updated versions of these classic games did not launch in a state that meets our own standards of quality, or the standards our fans have come to expect.

We have ongoing plans to address the technical issues and to improve each game going forward. With each planned update, the games will reach the level of quality that they deserve to be.

A new Title Update is on the way in the coming days for all versions of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition that will address a number of issues. We will update everyone as soon as it is live.

In the meantime, it pains us to mention that we are hearing reports of members of the development teams being harassed on social media. We would kindly ask our community to please maintain a respectful and civil discourse around this release as we work through these issues.

While one of the goals of the Definitive Editions was to allow players to enjoy these games on modern platforms for many years to come, we also understand that some of you would still like to have the previous classic versions available for purchase.

We will be adding the classic PC versions of Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas back to the Rockstar Store shortly as a bundle. Additionally, everyone who has purchased Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition for PC from the Rockstar Store through June 30, 2022, will receive these classic versions in their Rockstar Games Launcher library at no additional cost. We will update everyone as soon as these are back in the Rockstar Store.

Once again, we'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while we work through these updates to ensure these games meet everyone's justifiably high standards.

Sincerely,
Rockstar Games

I love how they worked in the phrase "unexpected technical issue"  like they didn't know the games were busted when they released them. As apologies go, this feels weak to me, but at least they are putting the old games back up for sale again on PC (even though only through thier own store and not steam or anything), but what about the mods they were taking down? It is also disappointing, but not surprising, to learn that developers are being harassed online and there is never an excuse for that and it needs to stop. It only make it less likely these ass holes will actually listen when people do that.

On 11/20/2021 at 4:22 AM, Shagger said:

It is also disappointing, but not surprising, to learn that developers are being harassed online and there is never an excuse for that and it needs to stop. It only make it less likely these ass holes will actually listen when people do that.

Criticism is not harassment. You release a shit product, that is basically a scam, and then get upset that people are bothering your emlpoyees? I know individual developers are not to blame, but really the fault lies with their management. If they had not put out utter garbage nobody would be bothering people who proudly wear their rockstar badge on their twitter account. If you want to take the praise when that's due, you also need to take the flak when your company messes up.

20 minutes ago, m76 said:

Criticism is not harassment. You release a shit product, that is basically a scam, and then get upset that people are bothering your emlpoyees?

Releasing a shit product is no excuse for harassment and Rockstar have every right to get upset if that's what people are doing. No individual at Rockstar, wether it be a ground floor developer of even somone in upper management deserves to be treated like that.  Criticism is good, it's makes them aware the their customers are having issues with the product and helps to direct how it can be fixed.  Issuing death threat's, doxing or personal attacks is counter productive and completely unacceptable.

I agree that Rockstar screwed the pooch and as of right now they haven't done enough.  They just relisted the original trilogy on PC, but it should be on all platforms on which it was originally available.  They should be offering refunds.  They shouldn't have been misleading in their marketing.  They shouldn't have been lazy and used the mobile versions of the games to create the new port in the first place.