Register Now
Kane99

Do you prefer a game to be historically accurate?

10 hours ago, Boblee said:

When it comes to guns, I'm a classic. All these sophisticated guns we have now don't really captivate me at all. It's why I really loved Karabiner 98k. 

It's actually a very good gun for hunting right? I haven't used it to know for sure but I think I have seen it used in some movies. 

On 12/7/2021 at 9:41 PM, m76 said:

They can still tell fictional stories in a historical setting. But if they want to depict a recorded story, they should be accurate.

Having said that, what are the games that you probably have played that's 100% historically accurate? 

3 hours ago, Boblee said:

Having said that, what are the games that you probably have played that's 100% historically accurate? 

The most historically accurate were probably the cold war era games that I've played. Obviously the individual stories are fictional, but a fictional story can either fit into history, or contradict it. I think COD Black Ops was pretty good in this regard, also Vietcong is a good depiction of the Vietnam war, down to tactics and the details of warfare.

Ghost Recon Wildlands while not  historic but seems pretty accurate in its depiction of South American cocaleros, the culture, the architecture and the environment.

But overall I play much more fantasy and science fiction games that are only loosely based on real settings. For example I consider Assassin's Creed a  fantasy game, as a historical period piece it would be terrible.

12 minutes ago, m76 said:

Ghost Recon Wildlands while not  historic but seems pretty accurate in its depiction of South American cocaleros, the culture, the architecture and the environment.

But overall I play much more fantasy and science fiction games that are only loosely based on real settings. For example I consider Assassin's Creed a  fantasy game, as a historical period piece it would be terrible.

Well that doesn't make sense about Wildlands because I can say the same thing about Assassin's Creed which you just called fantasy. But I do agree that AC has a lot of fantasy, but it's fantasy has ties to actual historic beliefs during that time period. For example, you fight a Minotaur in Odyssey, but I learned in the game that ancient Minoans in Crete actually believed in it and came from the wife of King Minos that gave birth to it. Kind of a sick story of how a woman mated with a bull. But that's a portrayal of history, whether what they believed was real or not. 

7 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Well that doesn't make sense about Wildlands because I can say the same thing about Assassin's Creed which you just called fantasy. But I do agree that AC has a lot of fantasy, but it's fantasy has ties to actual historic beliefs during that time period. For example, you fight a Minotaur in Odyssey, but I learned in the game that ancient Minoans in Crete actually believed in it and came from the wife of King Minos that gave birth to it. Kind of a sick story of how a woman mated with a bull. But that's a portrayal of history, whether what they believed was real or not. 

You said it yourself AC depicts mythology as real. And features characters who are vaguely based on historical figures. They are basically just using their names, to create a fictional spin on them. While Wildlands actually depicts something what I see as pretty damn accurate. When I was playing it first I didn't think much of  the geopolitical accuracy of the  game, but some documentaries made me realize that it's actually as good as it gets from videogames. 

1 hour ago, m76 said:

You said it yourself AC depicts mythology as real. And features characters who are vaguely based on historical figures. They are basically just using their names, to create a fictional spin on them. While Wildlands actually depicts something what I see as pretty damn accurate. When I was playing it first I didn't think much of  the geopolitical accuracy of the  game, but some documentaries made me realize that it's actually as good as it gets from videogames. 

I think everything in BCE is going to be mixed up in myth. Even if you wanted to learn about actual history from any library, you will come across mythology guaranteed. It's inseparable. Even architecture will have sculptings or paintings of lore as well as crafts and even coins. Bringing it to life in a game is just more amusing than reading a history book. So that's not fair to say AC isn't a good historical representation, because it is. But I agree they used real people and put fictional spins on them like Da Vinci, etc. but the newer games have Discovery Tours where you travel to different locations to learn historical facts about people and places. So when you do come across fantasy or fictional spins of characters you have a historical reference to look back on as a guide. Those Discovery Tours are very unique I don't think any other game has. 

12 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Kind of a sick story of how a woman mated with a bull. But that's a portrayal of history, whether what they believed was real or not. 

Well, to be very honest with you, that's not even weird for me anymore because I have seen in our generation where some mate with dogs and horses. Some humans are really sick nowadays. 

41 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Well, to be very honest with you, that's not even weird for me anymore because I have seen in our generation where some mate with dogs and horses. Some humans are really sick nowadays. 

Sad and true; those things are a reality that happens so who is to say some Greek woman didn't want giant bull cock? Especially a queen who probably felt superior for doing it. Humans are sick, so maybe the myth was a cover up for bull fucking and the king got mad and forced Athenian sacrifices to the minotaur, which sacrifices supposedly happened in the real underground labyrinth. 

11 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I think everything in BCE is going to be mixed up in myth. Even if you wanted to learn about actual history from any library, you will come across mythology guaranteed. It's inseparable. Even architecture will have sculptings or paintings of lore as well as crafts and even coins. Bringing it to life in a game is just more amusing than reading a history book. So that's not fair to say AC isn't a good historical representation, because it is. But I agree they used real people and put fictional spins on them like Da Vinci, etc. but the newer games have Discovery Tours where you travel to different locations to learn historical facts about people and places. So when you do come across fantasy or fictional spins of characters you have a historical reference to look back on as a guide. Those Discovery Tours are very unique I don't think any other game has. 

Odyssey / Valhalla depicts mythology as real, obviously that can't be historically accurate. So by definition the games aren't good historical representations. I'm not saying that they aren't fun games, but they are 99% fantasy. Even if ancient greeks believed their myths that doesn't make it reality.

14 hours ago, m76 said:

The most historically accurate were probably the cold war era games that I've played. Obviously the individual stories are fictional, but a fictional story can either fit into history, or contradict it. I think COD Black Ops was pretty good in this regard, also Vietcong is a good depiction of the Vietnam war, down to tactics and the details of warfare.

I completely agree with you on Vietcong when it comes to its accuracy with respect to the Vietnam War. They couldn't have done it more better than they did. 

23 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Sad and true; those things are a reality that happens so who is to say some Greek woman didn't want giant bull cock? Especially a queen who probably felt superior for doing it. Humans are sick, so maybe the myth was a cover up for bull fucking and the king got mad and forced Athenian sacrifices to the minotaur, which sacrifices supposedly happened in the real underground labyrinth. 

That's for sure and for those in power then, they already feel superior to those under them like they are god's. 

On 2/8/2022 at 10:45 AM, m76 said:

Even if ancient greeks believed their myths that doesn't make it reality.

Then going by that, it means that all myths can only br a reality to those it came about or have lineage towards and not an outsider eeh? 

On 2/8/2022 at 11:09 AM, Boblee said:

I completely agree with you on Vietcong when it comes to its accuracy with respect to the Vietnam War. They couldn't have done it more better than they did. 

Some of the combat systems of the game were off for me. Although, it's more like how it was at the time of Vietnam War. 

11 hours ago, Justin11 said:

It's Vietnam war a video game, or simply talking about what happened in the past with Vietnam country when it concerns warfare? 

Vietcong is the video game about Vietnam war and everything that happened in the war being replicated in the game.