Register Now
StaceyPowers

What makes for a good new enemy in a game series?

Preferably one that isn't named "the hunter," which was a phase that went on during the seventh console generation. If hunters were able to play video games, they'd go for the generic 'assault' class in online shooters.

Honestly, I'm not hard to impress. I want an enemy that seems more clever. One that's willing to flank, use invisibility, or otherwise do something to aggrevate the player in a logical way such as tossing grenades to flush them out of cover, or provide suppressive fire to keep them hunkered down.

It really depends on the game. My answer is with the seventh generation of consoles, keeping in line with my initial response.

I like the cyberpunk or dystopian approach to having enemies that overreach their power like evil corporations and private military. Evil scientists always make a good enemy. Since there are a broad range of games, it's hard to say what makes a good enemy. It could be something complicated like Detroit Become Human where you play as an android and human discrimination is the enemy. Or it could be a game where the enemy has been your friend all along creating a huge twist in the story. If it's a monster, they should make it really intelligent like Alien Isolation. 

On 12/17/2021 at 8:37 PM, StaceyPowers said:

With any game series, we kind of expect new enemies to be introduced with each instalment. Sometimes they’re great; other times they feel like a letdown. What makes a great new enemy in a series?

The ability not to die easily.  I like it when I am facing an enemy that survives most of my brutal attacks. Yeah! That's what gives me the feeling that I have to do more to kill them.

I really like nuanced enemies that are easily understandable on the surface. I think they have to make sense in the world as well. Say what you will about Last of Us 2, but they have probably provided me with some of my favroite enemies to kill. Everyone has their own name and seemingly their own personality, they all have emotions and push the games themes, and my own personal favorite thing in a game; every enemy is a threat. I love in games where every enemy is a task, so I don’t really find the army of peons in hack and slash games all very enjoyable haha

On 12/17/2021 at 8:45 PM, Withywarlock said:

Preferably one that isn't named "the hunter," which was a phase that went on during the seventh console generation. If hunters were able to play video games, they'd go for the generic 'assault' class in online shooters.

Honestly, I'm not hard to impress. I want an enemy that seems more clever. One that's willing to flank, use invisibility, or otherwise do something to aggrevate the player in a logical way such as tossing grenades to flush them out of cover, or provide suppressive fire to keep them hunkered down.

It really depends on the game. My answer is with the seventh generation of consoles, keeping in line with my initial response.

When the enemies are too far predictable, it doesn't make any sense to me. It's why I'm just like you in that way because as smart as I picture myself, I want the enemies to offer something good in return.