Register Now
Kane99

Riot Games ordered to pay $100 million in a gender discrimination suit

Good to see a studio having to take responsibility for their past behavior, and this time it's going to cost them $100 million. They were brought to court due to past denying two female employees equal pay and blocking their career advancement based on gender. There was also other known issues that occurred that went unpunished for a while it seems. I guess Riot originally offered to pay $80 million, but the courts decided on $100 million instead. 

Also, I guess Riot games is owned by Tencent, so they can easily afford this. 

You can read about this news here - https://www.businessinsider.com/riot-video-games-100-million-in-gender-discrimination-suit-california-2021-12

What do you guys think about this? Could it hurt Riot games? Or will Tencent keep it afloat with their stacks of cash? 

Tencent will obviously keep Riot afloat and $100 million isn't that big a chunk of change when it has to be shared between roughly 2300 employees.  There was a whole culture of sexism and abuse at work here, not just 2 women.

With that being said when you consider that they initially only offered $10 million as h̶u̶s̶h̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ a settlement as well as the bad PR I think it will make them think twice about pulling of this kind of bullshit again.  As part of the settlement a third party company is also going to monitor their progress in improving their work culture so their are definitely some good steps forward here.

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

100 million could get them outsourced studio. I am pretty sure sueing the companies would eventually make many companies outsource more.

That's the first thing that comes to mind? That's your chief concern? Seriously?

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

100 million could get them outsourced studio. I am pretty sure sueing the companies would eventually make many companies outsource more.

It doesn’t make a company enticing to work for if they refuse long term employment with benefits and just hire contract workers especially when teams need to work together to make games. Contract workers or outsourced workers from a different company aren’t going to be as team oriented, especially when they don’t care about the profit sharing from the company’s success. You can outsource someone or a group to do a certain project, but the employer won’t be able to choose the talent of every individual, which will decrease the quality of game development. That’s why you need full time employment status with benefits, equal pay, and worker’s rights so that the whole company and employees function as a machine working together under the same principles/agendas/mission. And you can’t have a properly functioning machine when there is discrimination or less enthusiastic outsourced workers when creativity and talent is desired.

14 hours ago, Shagger said:

That's the first thing that comes to mind? That's your chief concern? Seriously?

Yes, it's a for profit company. they do what they need to survive. I have observed this behavior. If there is too much business conflicts, eventually upper management moves to better alternatives instead of spending money to sustain and negotiate with things they can get away with. I remember clothing mills which had union issues since 19070s and 90s around the world like this. Many upper management sold the land and outsourced eventually. That's how I view the game dev market going in near future too. 

This isn't surprised, Riot has been pretty scummy in the past and everyone seems to ignore/forgot that especially during now with all the league shit. I haven't and good to see others didn't either. I do hope this is gonna be a start for companies to be actually held accountable