Register Now
m76

Good bad games

There are lots of bad games out there that are simply terrible and not worth anyone's time.
But occasionally there are some that are objectively bad or even broken in some sense, but still enjoyable. Have you encountered any such game?

I've seen several of these over the years that I've had fun with.

1. The oldest I can remember was Car & Driver all the way from 1992, which was a game published by EA long before The Need For Speed, and actually used the exact same formula, it was just based on a different car magazine, Car & Driver obviously. (The first NFS was made in collaboration with Road & Track). I loved how the game menus were made like pages of a magazine, it gave a lot to immersion. But unfortunately the physics of the game was some of the wonkiest I've seen, it was utterly terrible. Another fun fact, this was one of the first games I played that supported SVGA resolution (640x480).

1.jpg.edbb4843b578d6a95897eca415342acd.jpg

2. The next one that stands out for me is another Racing game, but one released 10 years later: Street Legal Racing. This game was meant to be great, but it was published by a budget publisher, and the developers bit much more than they could chew. They wanted to make a game much more complex than what fit in the publisher's timeline and budget. So the game released unfinished, broken and buggy. What has set it apart was the extremely detailed simulation, the game actually simulated the fluids in the car like coolant, fuel, etc. And it had a damage model that beat everything that came before or after until BeamNG claimed that throne. It also had extensive car upgrade and tuning system. The game become a cult classic and still has a very active community with lots of mods available. Most of the games kinks and bugs were fixed in several patches and a re-release, and the developers kept supporting the game long after the publisher bailed. But of course it never achieved mainstream success, and the developers gave up on trying to do complex games soon after.  The company is still around actually but only makes mobile trash since 2009, the original devs on the ground long since left the company. Fun fact: One of the devs turned up in the credits of Driver San Francisco, last I saw.

I've had countless hours of fun crashing and harassing traffic in the game, and trying to build the fastest cars.

2.thumb.jpg.8e25437e6c91ef6121d0d4d30cc1cdbc.jpg

3. Splinter Cell Double Agent This game was probably the most broken AAA game I had ever played, but it had some such unique mechanics and novel ideas that I enjoyed it despite of it being a buggy piece of trash. Since I wrote a full review on the game way back when I'll link that instead of going into more detail here:
    http://madblog.shacknet.us/splinter-cell-double-agent-2006/

3.jpg.e6db69f998e7d6da8ffd2f443dc99a74.jpg

4. The last game for now is Alpha Protocol: The greatest bad game ever made! This is another game I wrote a  full article on so click for details:
    http://madblog.shacknet.us/alpha-protocol-2010/

Alpha-Protocol-04-HD.png.e6af7d29f6aac1e6e44a3f172ccb86c2.png

On 2/20/2022 at 10:22 PM, m76 said:

There are lots of bad games out there that are simply terrible and not worth anyone's time.
But occasionally there are some that are objectively bad or even broken in some sense, but still enjoyable. Have you encountered any such game?

I've seen several of these over the years that I've had fun with.

1. The oldest I can remember was Car & Driver all the way from 1992, which was a game published by EA long before The Need For Speed, and actually used the exact same formula, it was just based on a different car magazine, Car & Driver obviously. (The first NFS was made in collaboration with Road & Track). I loved how the game menus were made like pages of a magazine, it gave a lot to immersion. But unfortunately the physics of the game was some of the wonkiest I've seen, it was utterly terrible. Another fun fact, this was one of the first games I played that supported SVGA resolution (640x480).

1.jpg.edbb4843b578d6a95897eca415342acd.jpg

2. The next one that stands out for me is another Racing game, but one released 10 years later: Street Legal Racing. This game was meant to be great, but it was published by a budget publisher, and the developers bit much more than they could chew. They wanted to make a game much more complex than what fit in the publisher's timeline and budget. So the game released unfinished, broken and buggy. What has set it apart was the extremely detailed simulation, the game actually simulated the fluids in the car like coolant, fuel, etc. And it had a damage model that beat everything that came before or after until BeamNG claimed that throne. It also had extensive car upgrade and tuning system. The game become a cult classic and still has a very active community with lots of mods available. Most of the games kinks and bugs were fixed in several patches and a re-release, and the developers kept supporting the game long after the publisher bailed. But of course it never achieved mainstream success, and the developers gave up on trying to do complex games soon after.  The company is still around actually but only makes mobile trash since 2009, the original devs on the ground long since left the company. Fun fact: One of the devs turned up in the credits of Driver San Francisco, last I saw.

I've had countless hours of fun crashing and harassing traffic in the game, and trying to build the fastest cars.

2.thumb.jpg.8e25437e6c91ef6121d0d4d30cc1cdbc.jpg

3. Splinter Cell Double Agent This game was probably the most broken AAA game I had ever played, but it had some such unique mechanics and novel ideas that I enjoyed it despite of it being a buggy piece of trash. Since I wrote a full review on the game way back when I'll link that instead of going into more detail here:
    http://madblog.shacknet.us/splinter-cell-double-agent-2006/

3.jpg.e6db69f998e7d6da8ffd2f443dc99a74.jpg

4. The last game for now is Alpha Protocol: The greatest bad game ever made! This is another game I wrote a  full article on so click for details:
    http://madblog.shacknet.us/alpha-protocol-2010/

Alpha-Protocol-04-HD.png.e6af7d29f6aac1e6e44a3f172ccb86c2.png

I was completely disgusted by what they did with Alpha Protocol. It was as if the game was a class work project done by a teenager. 

Honestly, as bad as the Beavis and Butt-head beat em up on the SNES is with all its jank controls and bullshit level design, there's something about it even outside of nostalgia that I love but can't quite place.

16 hours ago, egghead said:

My gaming experience was mastly related to playing candy crush or temple run until 2015. I started playing games seriously since 2016. therefore,  have limited knowledge on older games.

I played temple run well in 2013, since then, it is far away from me. I hate Candy crush, I never  downloaded it before, and I wouldn't download it anytime. 

On 4/2/2022 at 7:14 AM, Justin11 said:

I played temple run well in 2013, since then, it is far away from me. I hate Candy crush, I never  downloaded it before, and I wouldn't download it anytime. 

I started playing Temple Run and Candy crush when I got my first smart phone, I absolutely liked those games

5 minutes ago, egghead said:

I started playing Temple Run and Candy crush when I got my first smart phone, I absolutely liked those games

That's a long while ago I believe so, because you said your first smart phone. Temple run and also candy and we're very popular during Android phones inception. 

On 4/2/2022 at 2:29 AM, Justin11 said:

Smiles..I prefer candy crush to temple run. One can gets fed up with temple run easily but not with candy crush.

3 hours ago, Prof elohstar said:

Smiles..I prefer candy crush to temple run. One can gets fed up with temple run easily but not with candy crush.

The gameplay of candy crush isn't appealing to me at all, seems more of a puzzle. Temple run isn't too hard to scale through, and it's mainly a survival racing game. 

On 4/1/2022 at 12:05 PM, Empire said:

Honestly, as bad as the Beavis and Butt-head beat em up on the SNES is with all its jank controls and bullshit level design, there's something about it even outside of nostalgia that I love but can't quite place.

I believe it to be the fun that comes with the game even with all the letdown its designs and control, it offers a good sense of satisfaction whenever you play it.