Register Now
NightmareFarm

How do you immerse yourself properly in a games plot?

It's really weird, when I try focusing as hard as possible i'm constantly thinking "concentrate" which paradoxically makes me unable to focus but when I dont and just watch cutscenes and stuff in a more laidback manner I dont feel properly immersed in the plot and miss out on some bits of information. It's a first world problem but its driving me insane lol. I just cant connect with it at all. I'm thinking of doing meditation to clear my mind before my next gaming session. 

Well if you ask me it's the game that should get you immersed in the plot, not the other way around.  You shouldn't be straining yourself to get invested in a game's story, or any story for that matter.  If you are it's likely because you not finding it that interesting and forcing yourself through.

Edited by Crazycrab

2 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Well if you ask me it's the game that should get you immersed in the plot, not the other way around.  You shouldn't be straining yourself to get invested in a game's story, or any story for that matter.  If you are it's likely because you not finding it that interesting and forcing yourself through.

Well its weird like sometimes when I don't strain myself to immerse I enjoy it and feel immersed but that makes me want to concentrate to keep enjoying the story which ruins my immersion. 

I know where you are coming from. It's not really the story to blame that isn't good enough to immerse in, it's more of wanting to be so focused and wanting everything to be perfect with no distractions; and that leads to a self propelled break in immersion. Sometimes cut scenes happen so fast and unless you have a good save, then you miss out. And its a matter of a split second where I thought about something else, and that moment zoomed right by. That's a problem with games. The things they say in cut scenes goes by so damn fast. Especially if they are throwing names or places in there where I have to think for a second to recall who or what they are talking about, and the moment now passed. It's aways good to save the game before starting and finishing any kind of mission or interactions with people. Games where you can't manual save whenever you want just flat out suck. I think it is a personal issue you have to work on to help keep you focused. Eat a good meal and drink some focus tea like ginseng or something relaxing. And make sure your pets aren't in crave attention mode. Sometimes when an important cut scene starts I have to pause the game if I feel there are distractions like yapping dogs or something. Those things ALWAYS seem to happen right in an important moment. 

5 hours ago, Boblee said:

I believe that if the game's plot is that good, you wouldn't even know when you drift off playing it. It's only boring games that you struggle at such. 

Agreed - It's when you play a game and you started during the morning and before you know it, it's like 9pm lol. Like, was I really playing it for that long?

14 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Agreed - It's when you play a game and you started during the morning and before you know it, it's like 9pm lol. Like, was I really playing it for that long?

Exactly, it's something that's happened to me on multiple occasions and I have to accept that such games are that good. 

8 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

I nearly did with Horizon Forbidden West as I got it newly, I played over 5 hours for the first since 2020. Which shows how impressive it is to me. 

You didn't even play it for that long. A good friend of mine played it a whole day and still repeated it the following day as well. 

On 3/16/2022 at 6:53 AM, Boblee said:

You didn't even play it for that long. A good friend of mine played it a whole day and still repeated it the following day as well. 

Hmm, that's addiction at the highest order, I know the game immersed your friend, that's why he/she decided to play that long. For me, I still attended other things too, just as we're chatting now lol.

My honest opinion is to try the walking dead game because for some reason I totally get into it more then any other game. I mean, I got to the point where I would physically tell characters in the game that I don't trust them or feel emotion that followed my decisions.

1 hour ago, Empire said:

My honest opinion is to try the walking dead game because for some reason I totally get into it more then any other game. I mean, I got to the point where I would physically tell characters in the game that I don't trust them or feel emotion that followed my decisions.

You know about the game Walking Dead, I lost it along the way watch the movie or should I say series by AMC. It did impacted on how I took the game.