Register Now
NightmareFarm

What are your thoughts on trophies/achievements?

Achievements heightens the experience  like beating a new high score , unlocking a new skin or some other relic in the game. But most times I don't play for these and just enjoy the game if I eventually hit a new achievements it's fine and I still enjoy the feeling.

Just now, killamch89 said:

I used to care about these a lot more when I was younger but nowadays, as long as I'm having fun, that's all that matters to me in a game.

Yeah, I feel like making gaming into a job back then was so dumb. Nowadays I just play what entertains me. Gaming is for fun at the end of the day.

I don't see anything wrong with it in general, it gives people more to do in a game.

Some of the ones for RPG's can be a bit obnoxious at times. The ones that require multiple playthroughs I can see adding incentive for replayability, but I don't have time for that. Then there are the ones that basically require a guide to figure out. 

I'm on the fence with them. On the one hand I think they're one of gaming's many Pandora's Box(es) because they've spoilt a lot of the joy I have in games now and find the need to complete them when I ordinarily wouldn't be bothered. On the other hand, I think if you get used to playing games without them or the achievements being so out of reach, you get to appreciate the game more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Microsoft finally tied achievements to Microsoft Rewards, which was what the initial speculation for them was supposed to be: you could redeem Gamerscore for games, DLC, and profile ornaments. It's a shame that never really kicked off given their presence, but then, why give stuff away for free when people will pay out the nose for it?

22 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I used to be very competitive so that's why I wanted the trophies/achievements so badly. 

That's the main push for me back then because there's no way I would feel at ease with my friends being ahead of me when I was a little younger. Age does a lot of things to you and make you reshape your priorities. 

I've already explained my feelings on trophies and achievements on the first page. So no need to repeat that at all.

I do gotta admit when i reached 100k gamerscore a couple of years ago it felt, how stupid it may sound like an accomplishment and that i reached something as a gamer Lol. These days i just see it as a number that goes up and you know when people talk to me about it, i try to avoid it as much as possible because  it's sounds like i don't have a life and have nothing better to do then playing videogames in my spare time. 

Sony's trophy system i never really cared much about i think i've got maybe a little over 15 platinum trophies which isen't a whole lot. Most of them are sony first party titles like horizon zero dawn, until dawn and ghost of tsushima and those aren't exactly the most difficult platinums to get.

Edited by Yaramaki

11 hours ago, Crescendo said:

Nothing against them. They're just fun things to work towards for me 

As long as you don't go out of your way to get them, there's nothing wrong with bagging a few of them. Some gamers resort to paying and cheating just to have them trophies and that's not a good way to play and enjoy games. 

On 6/18/2022 at 2:34 PM, Yaramaki said:

I've already explained my feelings on trophies and achievements on the first page. So no need to repeat that at all.

I do gotta admit when i reached 100k gamerscore a couple of years ago it felt, how stupid it may sound like an accomplishment and that i reached something as a gamer Lol. These days i just see it as a number that goes up and you know when people talk to me about it, i try to avoid it as much as possible because  it's sounds like i don't have a life and have nothing better to do then playing videogames in my spare time. 

Sony's trophy system i never really cared much about i think i've got maybe a little over 15 platinum trophies which isen't a whole lot. Most of them are sony first party titles like horizon zero dawn, until dawn and ghost of tsushima and those aren't exactly the most difficult platinums to get.

I don't talk about my gaming achievements with people that don't share the same gaming interest as me, they might not really understand anything I say or see it as a waste of time.

So I only discussion my gaming achievements with my buddies whom I play video games with and enjoy video games as much as I do.

Achievements are satisfying to an extent it just gives you a good feeling for the moment and shows that you are progressing or aceing the game.

On 6/18/2022 at 3:17 AM, Crescendo said:

Nothing against them. They're just fun things to work towards for me 

It was only Top Eleven Football Manager that I was obsessed with trophy collection and there was a reason for that. We have a WhatsApp group where so many managers playing the game are in some sort of competition of who's going to have the biggest trophy cabinet. It was a hell of a battle then. 

On 6/20/2022 at 10:20 PM, Clasher said:

I don't talk about my gaming achievements with people that don't share the same gaming interest as me, they might not really understand anything I say or see it as a waste of time.

So I only discussion my gaming achievements with my buddies whom I play video games with and enjoy video games as much as I do.

Achievements are satisfying to an extent it just gives you a good feeling for the moment and shows that you are progressing or aceing the game.

I have seen a guy I know from my childhood brag about his gaming achievements and it makes me sick because I know how good he is with cheating when he plays.

I'm not sure if he plays any game without exploiting one cheat to stay ahead. His achievements in games to me are totally useless.