Register Now
DC

Email providers

On 7/29/2022 at 7:08 PM, killamch89 said:

Protonmail has been around for quite some time and Tutanota as well but they're a bit more privacy focused with the option to encrypt your email messages so that only the recipient with the key provided by you can access it.

Oh I see. It's like what my banks uses in sending my monthly account statement because it's always password locked till I use the key provided and instructed to use before I can read it. Thanks for explaining that to me. 

On 7/31/2022 at 4:51 AM, Heatman said:

Oh I see. It's like what my banks uses in sending my monthly account statement because it's always password locked till I use the key provided and instructed to use before I can read it. Thanks for explaining that to me. 

Something like that, it's called PGP encryption and it's been around for a good while now but in its raw form, it takes some setting up. I like the privacy though.

On 7/29/2022 at 7:08 PM, killamch89 said:

Protonmail has been around for quite some time and Tutanota as well but they're a bit more privacy focused with the option to encrypt your email messages so that only the recipient with the key provided by you can access it.

I like the Idea of protonmail, maybe it's messaging secrecy is one of the reasons it isn't so popular as other emailing service providers.

I would check it out because it sounds like an email provider i would like to use.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:53 PM, DC said:

Which company or companies do you use for emails?

I use Gmail for some purposes and Outlook 365 for some purposes. I like Gmail for my personal life but I like Outlook 365 for its Office products integration - it's great for business.

Agreed.

Is Outlook the same as Comcast.net? I think it is.

Comcast is my main account, has been for years. I would say since I first got my computer. And yeah, I do use it for professional things and for online purchases.

I also have a few Gmail accounts - I like Gmail. And one old Hotmail account.

Protonmail is good too but kinda sleazy because it has the whole hush hush privacy thing to it.

Edited by melanie_marie27

On 8/7/2022 at 9:37 AM, Clasher said:

I like the Idea of protonmail, maybe it's messaging secrecy is one of the reasons it isn't so popular as other emailing service providers.

I would check it out because it sounds like an email provider i would like to use.

Yeah and the fact that it's the only relatively well-known email service that's also offered on the darkweb gives it's privacy claims some credence.

On 8/7/2022 at 3:37 PM, Clasher said:

It's more like they are particularly keen to treat all your mails to be sensitive which would only require your key access to be able to read the email. 

I love that level of security to be very honest. 

You know it's funny, I've been trying a new one called Fastmail and honestly, it's pretty awesome. I can create an unlimited amount of email aliases (well not unlimited but about 1000?) but it has become an instant favorite of mine. On top of that, it's so smooth and functional and the UI is pretty easy to understand and find everything. On top of that, it's pretty secure as well where they can't read your emails.

At the moment I use both Gmail and Hotmail for all my emails. I have three accounts on Gmail, one is personal, the other one is business and another one is for forums that I join so that I can keep everything separate, 

My Hotmail email is connected to my Xbox account so everything that comes into my emails from my Xbox account goes into there keeping it separate from any other emails. 

On 3/13/2023 at 11:51 AM, Shortie said:

At the moment I use both Gmail and Hotmail for all my emails. I have three accounts on Gmail, one is personal, the other one is business and another one is for forums that I join so that I can keep everything separate, 

My Hotmail email is connected to my Xbox account so everything that comes into my emails from my Xbox account goes into there keeping it separate from any other emails. 

That's a pretty neat setup. i got quite a bit of email addresses and email aliases so that if one of my online accounts gets compromised in a data breach, I won't be getting all these phishing emails because I'll just change it.

I'm way deep into the whole Google ecosystem, so for me it's Gmail all the way. I use Outlook at work, and I strongly prefer Gmail. I just find it a lot easier to use.

I did experiment with having my own domain a few years ago, but it didn't really work out. I registered the domain *my last name*.pizza, so I had the email address anders@*last name*.pizza, which I of course found hilarious at the time. I did however learn the hard way that unless I paid an extra fee, the built in email provider on my domain service would delete emails after 30 days. Did not end up renewing that domain. 

On 5/4/2023 at 4:51 PM, Anders said:

I'm way deep into the whole Google ecosystem, so for me it's Gmail all the way. I use Outlook at work, and I strongly prefer Gmail. I just find it a lot easier to use.

I did experiment with having my own domain a few years ago, but it didn't really work out. I registered the domain *my last name*.pizza, so I had the email address anders@*last name*.pizza, which I of course found hilarious at the time. I did however learn the hard way that unless I paid an extra fee, the built in email provider on my domain service would delete emails after 30 days. Did not end up renewing that domain. 

There's actually a way you can use a custom domain with an email aliasing solution so that you don't have to put out your real email address and you can still get your emails regularly. I've started to adopt this approach so that my info doesn't get leaked in a data breach and I won't constantly get spammed.

I exclusively use Gmail and have for years. I've never had a single problem with it. I think I may have used Yahoo a very, very long time ago. I love the Gmail app and how easy it is to switch to different email accounts, I have three for the record.

I use Google Workspace for my community's email, Google Docs, and more. Unfortunately, a long-time customer of over 10 years isn't getting grandfathered into the old pricing and my prices went up, but since I've been using it for over a decade, it would be difficult to leave for another platform like Office 365 business, since I'd have to migrate 10+ years of emails, storage, and lose access to $500 USD worth of paid android apps.

So I'm kinda stuck with Google Workspace now, haha.

I use Gmail. I have been using Google Workspace for my website (domain) and having the option to have my domain and email account all in one app on Gmail, for my portable devices is great. It's also free to use personally, and costs around 10$ for Workspace per account.