Register Now
DC

The best 8/16 bit game

Best 8-bit game imo is probably Super Mario Bros. 3. The game looks beautiful even today, and plays perfectly. It's my personal favorite game ever. And the best 16-bit game would probably be Super Mario World for the SNES. Donkey Kong Country gets a honorable mention as well. 

But there are so many other games out there that I love from both generations. 

There are few of such games that are my favorite 8/16 bit designs. They are ;

1. Amiga : Flink

2. SNES : Street Fighter Alpha 2

3. NES : Batman - Return of the Joker 

4. Street Fighter Champion Edition 

Damn, you had to ask a question like this. I'm going to ignore big titles like SMB and Zelda for this question.

My favorite 8 bit game would have to be Blaster Master. It's a perfect mix of fantasy and sci-fi.

For 16 bit, that one has to go to Legend Of The Mystical Ninja. It's a little cartooney, and often virtually impossible, but it's a blast to play.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Damn, you had to ask a question like this. I'm going to ignore big titles like SMB and Zelda for this question.

My favorite 8 bit game would have to be Blaster Master. It's a perfect mix of fantasy and sci-fi.

For 16 bit, that one has to go to Legend Of The Mystical Ninja. It's a little cartooney, and often virtually impossible, but it's a blast to play.

There's just so many good 8/16 bit games out there, that it's honestly hard to just pick one. So many classics. I said SMB3 for 8bit myself, but there's so many other games I'd want to include, like Batman, The Legend of Zelda, SMB1 and 2, and so many more. We'd be here all day if we had to pick a bunch of our favorites lol. 

But yeah, Blaster Master is pretty decent. I never beat it, but have been meaning to check it out again. 

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

There's just so many good 8/16 bit games out there, that it's honestly hard to just pick one. So many classics. I said SMB3 for 8bit myself, but there's so many other games I'd want to include, like Batman, The Legend of Zelda, SMB1 and 2, and so many more. We'd be here all day if we had to pick a bunch of our favorites lol. 

But yeah, Blaster Master is pretty decent. I never beat it, but have been meaning to check it out again. 

I couldn't pick one either, so I just went with a long time favorite of mine. I probably have 100 NES games, and it's also my favorite system. So this was an immensely difficult question for me.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:36 PM, killamch89 said:
  • Tetris
  • Pac-man
  • Street Fighter 2
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Mortal Kombat II

And so many more. I can't really pick one if I'm being honest.

Damn it, I even forget about Pac-Man. Seriously, there are so many of them that you have to sit and calm down to start listing them out, otherwise you will miss out so many of them. 

Probably Super Metroid. The controls are a little funky by modern standards, but it's amazing how fresh most of the game feels even now. Obviously a massively influential game on the incredibly popular metroidvania genre. Chrono Trigger is a close second. I firmly believe that CT is timeless (ironically?) and if it were released today it would still be hailed as a masterpiece.

3 hours ago, Empire said:

Probably Super Metroid. The controls are a little funky by modern standards, but it's amazing how fresh most of the game feels even now. Obviously a massively influential game on the incredibly popular metroidvania genre. Chrono Trigger is a close second. I firmly believe that CT is timeless (ironically?) and if it were released today it would still be hailed as a masterpiece.

I replayed Chrono Trigger about 3 months ago and it still felt like a new game in every way possible. Just like you put it, it's a game that feels timeless with how it's designed. The developers really put in the work in making Chrono Trigger and it's why till date, it's still one of the best appreciated games. 

Also, Donkey Long Country counts as 16 bit right? Makes me wonder, with it's early 3d, wasn't it more than 16 bit? Maybe I'm wrong, but if it is 16 bit, then I gotta say, that's pretty impressive looking graphics for a 16 bit game.