Register Now
The Blackangel

PlayStation Storage

I just hooked up my PS5, and am currently downloading my save data from my PS4. I noticed something that has me confused. My PS5 has 825g of space. But my PS4 has 872g of space. Is this normal? Is it just my two personal consoles? This is only a 47g difference, but it still has me really confused. I would have thought that the PS5 would have more space than a PS4. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have an explanation that my puny brain can comprehend?

Not that I ever want one to begin with, but this is a headache that I neither need nor want.

5 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I just hooked up my PS5, and am currently downloading my save data from my PS4. I noticed something that has me confused. My PS5 has 825g of space. But my PS4 has 872g of space. Is this normal? Is it just my two personal consoles? This is only a 47g difference, but it still has me really confused. I would have thought that the PS5 would have more space than a PS4. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have an explanation that my puny brain can comprehend?

Not that I ever want one to begin with, but this is a headache that I neither need nor want.

Both on PC's and consoles, a storage drive is never actually able to hold the same amount of data as it's maximum capacity because the drive has to store it's firmware and, if it's a boot drive and would be on a console, the operating system as well. There is only two reasons why your PS4 would have such a large capacity in the first place.;

1.  Your PS4 is a PS4 Pro with a 1TB HDD as standard, or if...
  2. Your console had been modified with a larger 1TB drive installed instead of the standard 500GB.

It's quite possible the operating system on a PS5 takes up more space than it did on a PS4, that will be why the PS5 has less space available. That would make sense as a PS5 is built to display the user interface at a higher resolution, so the actual graphics for the operating system will be a lot larger and take up more space than on a PS4, not to mention the additional code to accommodate the PS5's additional features. To summarize, I don't think this is anything to be concerned about, it's just the nature of the console.

Yeah I think I heard a while back that the PS5's OS takes up a decent amount of space itself, that's probably why there's less storage. Each console has a small portion of the HDD space reserved for the OS and some other functions. 

Sadly, these new gen consoles should have come with a lot more storage, but I think that's why they made it expandable so you can upgrade the storage if you want to. These days the storage these consoles get aren't nearly enough for our needs. You'd think they would have released these consoles with at least 1tb of storage or even 2tb. That would go over a ton imo. 

Kinda wish that they had bigger storage options as others have noted, around 1-2TB at least. I know they have the NVM drives, but for a 2-4TB one it's basically the cost of the console itself just for bigger storage to handle more games (due to their huge game size).

If your Playstation 4 is the slim type, then what you have is the pro version of the console and such difference in storage is expected since there are not a lot of Playstation 5 pro in the market yet. Check it up on the internet and let me know what you found out.

Normal, same for PCs. You pickup a 1TB HDD or SDD and when you install it it only says 990GB or something 😜 that what or how windows reads and see it. But in Consoles they can eat up OS for the device in itself. Just think how big PS2 was back then LOL

I feel consoles nowadays need larger than 1TB as standard storage because the game installs are so big now.  I need a bigger external drive for my xbox one X. I know my boyfriend upgraded the storage to his PS5 with 2TB and it cost him almost $400 to do so. That's nearly the price of the console! it's crazy the price of storage expansion now!

On 11/12/2022 at 8:03 PM, Shortie said:

I feel consoles nowadays need larger than 1TB as standard storage because the game installs are so big now.  I need a bigger external drive for my xbox one X. I know my boyfriend upgraded the storage to his PS5 with 2TB and it cost him almost $400 to do so. That's nearly the price of the console! it's crazy the price of storage expansion now!

We need Consoles with larger memory spaces and the size of video games are getting bigger and bigger by the day.

I once got and external hard drive for $150 for Saving some of games I could save on my PlayStation 4.