Register Now
kingpotato

Assasins creed 2 the best ASC game back in the day and also a ver bad ASC for todays standards

So I played about 5 hrs of Assasins creed 2 over the week end, back in the day it was my favorite ASC game, in someways its still the best, but its also a very old game, AC mechanics have gone a long way since then. I was suprised to find the controls awfully clunky, I though it was my controller, but no, thats just how the game was, I mean compared to Oddisey, Valhalla or even Black flag the game play of AC2 is very weak. 

Its still a great game, and in my opinion the best story, but by todays standards the gameplay is awfull.

Still this is one of those games that changed the gaming world for the better and for that it still has a place in my heart.

What's up @kingpotato haven't seen you around much lately, how have you been, hope all is well with you and your family?

Assasin's creed 2 is still my favourite in the series if you ask me as it was the perfect sequel in many ways as in being better in everithing the first ac game was and the perfect example of how you make a sequel->  Better story, better main character, more ways to kill your target, bigger map to explore and if we are being honest historically the Italian Renaissance is one of the most beautiful times to go back to.

But all praise aside while it's my favourite game in the ac series you're right it hasn't aged that well, especially control wise it's sometimes hard to make a correct jump, resulting in falling off buildings or jumping the wrong, resulting in your death in the process. But story wise it is still one of the best games in the series like the whole game is building up to this massive finale only to end with a major cliffhanger.

Assassin's creed was also the franchise that put Ubisoft on the map as a major publisher before that ubisoft was sort of this company while they made good games, they were never in the true classic territory. Well when you look back at it nothing has really changed these days. Ubisoft still puts out good games and While modern ac games are good and fun to play, you probably will not remember much of them in 10 years time. I'd always compare ubisoft games with a visit to an amusement park as you look forward to it  and while you play the game you'll have fun but when you are done, you forget most about it fairly quickly.

Same as you @kingpotato ac 2 will always have a special place in my heart and give it a few years time and probably to no ones surprise ubisoft announces a complete remake.

AC2 is a great game, one of my personal favorites, but I think Brotherhood was a far better game. It took what 2 did and pretty much did even more. AC2 was an awesome game, but I think Brotherhood was where the series officially started to get going. 

If they added the auto climb mechanic from 3, I think 2 and Brotherhood would be even better. 

And to be fair, earlier AC games were fairly easy to play. Aside from some missions, I remember the combat being really simple and easy. I didn't complain though, because it made me feel like a badass running down tons of enemies with ease. 

I think this goes the same way for the spider Man 2 which was back in the days one of the best but today not as fascinating as we knew it to be when it was released.

I think playing a video game on two different Consoles that are years apart often shows the flaws we couldn't notice playing it on the console of the era the video game was released in.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:51 AM, Yaramaki said:

What's up @kingpotato haven't seen you around much lately, how have you been, hope all is well with you and your family?

Assasin's creed 2 is still my favourite in the series if you ask me as it was the perfect sequel in many ways as in being better in everithing the first ac game was and the perfect example of how you make a sequel->  Better story, better main character, more ways to kill your target, bigger map to explore and if we are being honest historically the Italian Renaissance is one of the most beautiful times to go back to.

But all praise aside while it's my favourite game in the ac series you're right it hasn't aged that well, especially control wise it's sometimes hard to make a correct jump, resulting in falling off buildings or jumping the wrong, resulting in your death in the process. But story wise it is still one of the best games in the series like the whole game is building up to this massive finale only to end with a major cliffhanger.

Assassin's creed was also the franchise that put Ubisoft on the map as a major publisher before that ubisoft was sort of this company while they made good games, they were never in the true classic territory. Well when you look back at it nothing has really changed these days. Ubisoft still puts out good games and While modern ac games are good and fun to play, you probably will not remember much of them in 10 years time. I'd always compare ubisoft games with a visit to an amusement park as you look forward to it  and while you play the game you'll have fun but when you are done, you forget most about it fairly quickly.

Same as you @kingpotato ac 2 will always have a special place in my heart and give it a few years time and probably to no ones surprise ubisoft announces a complete remake.

Hey dude, thanks, sorry about being absent from the forum, got a new job, better pay but more responsabilities so I have very little free time.

Yep for sure AC2 had one of the best stories of the series, but one of the complaints I had with the remake was the eyes of the characters, man Desmond's eyes looked like shit, they looked like google eyes glued to his head

On 8/11/2022 at 8:38 AM, Kane99 said:

AC2 is a great game, one of my personal favorites, but I think Brotherhood was a far better game. It took what 2 did and pretty much did even more. AC2 was an awesome game, but I think Brotherhood was where the series officially started to get going. 

If they added the auto climb mechanic from 3, I think 2 and Brotherhood would be even better. 

And to be fair, earlier AC games were fairly easy to play. Aside from some missions, I remember the combat being really simple and easy. I didn't complain though, because it made me feel like a badass running down tons of enemies with ease. 

I agree, you can really feel the difference in gameplay, while I hated AC3 there is no doubt that the auto climb was of great help, there were parts in AC2 were I tried to wall jump and instead I jumped backwards and got myself killed

On 8/11/2022 at 5:39 AM, kingpotato said:

So I played about 5 hrs of Assasins creed 2 over the week end, back in the day it was my favorite ASC game, in someways its still the best, but its also a very old game, AC mechanics have gone a long way since then. I was suprised to find the controls awfully clunky, I though it was my controller, but no, thats just how the game was, I mean compared to Oddisey, Valhalla or even Black flag the game play of AC2 is very weak. 

Its still a great game, and in my opinion the best story, but by todays standards the gameplay is awfull.

Still this is one of those games that changed the gaming world for the better and for that it still has a place in my heart.

I think the game still holds up to modern standards even with the new breed of Assassins Creed games with Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla. Its parkour simply is not as refined as the newer games, so you just have to get used to it if you want to play it again -- but I'm curious whether you played the original 2 or the HD remake (which is entirely superior)? The original is probably going to feel pretty terrible, but the HD remake is still good. Best way to play the game in all honesty is use the parkour system on a limited basis and at your preference, meaning:

* If you want to collect things like the feathers, find the emblems, etcetera, then you will obviously have to climb a bit more.

* You don't need to use the parkour system to do the missions in the game as if you were holding some military vantage point, so you can approach missions in a couple different ways usually.

* It's best to use the parkour to unlock all of the vantage points to access more of the map.

Use the parkour system only when necessary, upgrade your guy as much as possible, get the best weapons, and learn how to fight as best as possible. Great game. Lots of fun.

3 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

I think the game still holds up to modern standards even with the new breed of Assassins Creed games with Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla. Its parkour simply is not as refined as the newer games, so you just have to get used to it if you want to play it again -- but I'm curious whether you played the original 2 or the HD remake (which is entirely superior)? The original is probably going to feel pretty terrible, but the HD remake is still good. Best way to play the game in all honesty is use the parkour system on a limited basis and at your preference, meaning:

* If you want to collect things like the feathers, find the emblems, etcetera, then you will obviously have to climb a bit more.

* You don't need to use the parkour system to do the missions in the game as if you were holding some military vantage point, so you can approach missions in a couple different ways usually.

* It's best to use the parkour to unlock all of the vantage points to access more of the map.

Use the parkour system only when necessary, upgrade your guy as much as possible, get the best weapons, and learn how to fight as best as possible. Great game. Lots of fun.

That's true.

Recent AC games are good but AC2 is still as fun as I remembered it to be despite it's parkour not been as refined all you need do is upgrade your player as much as possible and use a different strategy to approach enemies.

I think this particular feature is what makes it different from other AC games and gives you a better challenge playing it.

14 hours ago, Clasher said:

That's true.

Recent AC games are good but AC2 is still as fun as I remembered it to be despite it's parkour not been as refined all you need do is upgrade your player as much as possible and use a different strategy to approach enemies.

I think this particular feature is what makes it different from other AC games and gives you a better challenge playing it.

I think alot of people don't understand how solid the fighting system is. You can one shot many of the otherwise unkillable bad guys with the hidden blade being used as a counter in direct combat, but the timing is pretty tight. You can obviously disarm people if you fight with just your fists and counter (again, with tight timing). You can throw sand in peoples faces, use those little smoke grenades to stun people for easy kills, and you can also grab people putting Ezio behind them while holding his blade to their neck for another 1 shot kill if done right. The fighting system isn't necessarily worse off than Odyssey, but it's pretty obvious that Odyssey's parkour/climbing is superior by 100 fold. Having access to thousands of different weapons and a leveling system doesn't make the combat in Odyssey necessarily better than ACII's.

On 8/13/2022 at 10:54 AM, kingpotato said:

I agree, you can really feel the difference in gameplay, while I hated AC3 there is no doubt that the auto climb was of great help, there were parts in AC2 were I tried to wall jump and instead I jumped backwards and got myself killed

Yeah, I was not a fan of ACIII, mainly because of how anticlimactic the ending was. It ends in a chase and then a cutscene, I thought it was so rushed and dumb. I wanted to fight at the end, not what we got. But yeah, the autoclimb was a big help, because the climbing mechanics started to become a chore in the series, so they wanted to streamline it a bit and make it easier. I imagine the new AC games do the same. Last one I played was Syndicate and it was much of the same imo. 

And yeah, I remember that happening a lot when I played the older AC games. Even with the auto climb, I sometimes found myself jumping backwards. 

19 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

I think alot of people don't understand how solid the fighting system is. You can one shot many of the otherwise unkillable bad guys with the hidden blade being used as a counter in direct combat, but the timing is pretty tight. You can obviously disarm people if you fight with just your fists and counter (again, with tight timing). You can throw sand in peoples faces, use those little smoke grenades to stun people for easy kills, and you can also grab people putting Ezio behind them while holding his blade to their neck for another 1 shot kill if done right. The fighting system isn't necessarily worse off than Odyssey, but it's pretty obvious that Odyssey's parkour/climbing is superior by 100 fold. Having access to thousands of different weapons and a leveling system doesn't make the combat in Odyssey necessarily better than ACII's.

I really enjoyed fist Fighting I just get close enough to the target and disarm them and its Even fun Killing target that way that shooting them arrows from a distance.

I don't really know if anyone thinks otherwise but the fighting system of ACII is one of the best for any AC game ever released.

On 8/14/2022 at 8:10 PM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

I played the HD remake but I had owned the original many years ago on my xbox360 and went through te whole game many times.

I honestly stopped playing the remaster already and moved on to a different game, but thank you for the advise.

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I played the HD remake but I had owned the original many years ago on my xbox360 and went through te whole game many times.

I honestly stopped playing the remaster already and moved on to a different game, but thank you for the advise.

I completely forgot they did an HD remaster of AC2. Wasn't it like the first three games remastered? I forget. But yeah, now that I remember, I may have to pick up the HD remasters to revisit 2 and Brotherhood at least. Wouldn't mind revisiting them. 

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I completely forgot they did an HD remaster of AC2. Wasn't it like the first three games remastered? I forget. But yeah, now that I remember, I may have to pick up the HD remasters to revisit 2 and Brotherhood at least. Wouldn't mind revisiting them. 

No; they HD remastered just about every game that they perceived as needing an "HD remaster" except for the very first Assassins Creed -- which until this day has still not been touched, and it's still pretty awesome (if played correctly).

2, Brotherhood and Revelations were HD remastered in the Ezio Trilogy (all on 1 disc). Rogue and AC3 were remastered and the game where you play as Aveline was remastered in some way a second time, following its first remaster.

I dont see it mentioned, but on top of the reasons given here, I think Italy is also a great reason for its popularity. All cities featured in ACII are well known, and they speak to the imagination and look like fairytales.