Register Now
kingpotato

South park The Fractured But Whole: review

I loved the Stick of thruth, its one of those games that despite the controversy ( Zombie Fetus Baby Nazi Boss Fight...) was an incredible fun game, it really didnt hold back on the jokes.

The Fractured But Whole on the other hand really does underperform.

I played the game before and never really finished it and called it trash, but the game deserved a second chance.

Its a good game, but thats just it... I liked the new chess based gameplay mode, it really allowed for some good strategy thinking. This time around they introduced a lot of RPG mechanics like crafting, skill equipment and more status effects.

While I got a few jokes here and there this sequel is very toned down, I mean it still has a lot of good old South park jokes but it feels like the game relies a lot on fan service, The stick of truth also had a lot of fan service but it also had a bunch of original jokes. There were some jokes I was not expecting like the Lap Dance mini game or the Yolanda costume xD but stuff that were supposed to be epic like the Drunk Randy boss fight or the were ultimately dissapointing and boring

Also since the game was made by Ubisoft it fall under the curse of microtransactions, expansions and club rewards.

There are some funny sidequests but some are just tedius.

My advise if you want a good South Park game play Stick of Thruth , if you feel that the Stick of Thruth wasnt enough then get the Fractured But Whole.

Veredict of a potato....8/10

Nice thoughts about the game, I myself have not played it. Not a terrible game, but it's not nearly as good as the first. I've also ran into a few annyoing bugs in the first game that have forced me to reload saves. But then again going to ge tthose that love it and not

4 hours ago, Empire said:

Nice thoughts about the game, I myself have not played it. Not a terrible game, but it's not nearly as good as the first. I've also ran into a few annyoing bugs in the first game that have forced me to reload saves. But then again going to ge tthose that love it and not

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that, I had a few bugs myself during battles specially if the characters got overcrowded in a small space but thankfully I didnt had to reload my save I just had to wait a few seconds

7 hours ago, Empire said:

I actually thought that I was the only one who had that experience with the bugs in the game's first release. It was a pain in the ass for me. Having to reload my saves on more than one occasion never left a good taste in my mouth about the game. 

I enjoyed the stick of truth. At times it was pretty tough, but was a lot of fun. I haven't played the fractured but whole yet, but was kinda turned off on the grid like system they use for it. I prefer how it was in stock of truth. 

On 8/19/2022 at 6:48 PM, kingpotato said:

I loved the Stick of thruth, its one of those games that despite the controversy ( Zombie Fetus Baby Nazi Boss Fight...) was an incredible fun game, it really didnt hold back on the jokes.

I played the game before and never really finished it and called it trash, but the game deserved a second chance.

Its a good game, but thats just it... I liked the new chess based gameplay mode, it really allowed for some good strategy thinking. This time around they introduced a lot of RPG mechanics like crafting, skill equipment and more status effects.

While I got a few jokes here and there this sequel is very toned down, I mean it still has a lot of good old South park jokes but it feels like the game relies a lot on fan service, The stick of truth also had a lot of fan service but it also had a bunch of original jokes. There were some jokes I was not expecting like the Lap Dance mini game or the Yolanda costume xD but stuff that were supposed to be epic like the Drunk Randy boss fight or the were ultimately dissapointing and boring

Also since the game was made by Ubisoft it fall under the curse of microtransactions, expansions and club rewards.

My advise if you want a good South Park game play Stick of Thruth , if you feel that the Stick of Thruth wasnt enough then get the Fractured But Whole.

It was likely toned down due to the current political environment and everyone has hurt feelings these days. The Southpark makers are one of the kings of comedy and everything in the first game (Stick of Truth) is exactly how America should be when it comes to humor. I personally reviewed Stick of Truth and marked it a little lower not because of the political references of the latter boss fights, but because I just didn't like them.

The original Southpark 64 was, I think, the first Southpark game ever made and it isn't bad but the 64 didn't have the hardware to capture the essence of Southpark in its full glory, so it has sort of a strange feel to the game.

Southpark Lets Go Tower Defense Play is excellent, particularly with multiplayer. I only played a little bit of Fractured but Whole so far and didn't like alot of it.

12 hours ago, Heatman said:

I actually thought that I was the only one who had that experience with the bugs in the game's first release. It was a pain in the ass for me. Having to reload my saves on more than one occasion never left a good taste in my mouth about the game. 

I think most of that stuff got patched out because I only recently played and beat it. Only bug I had was a problem where you move in one direction and infinitely run, and this was not my controller(s) as I both changed them several times to check and verified the bug online. Still a great game though.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:48 AM, kingpotato said:

@kingpotato i can get behind your review and mostly agree with everithing you said, but you should take into account that when the stick if truth launched it had this magical feeling from wow i'm actually in a south park episode and the fact you could just go and explore south park by itself was the first time and let's say that was one of the major strength of the game well atleast for me.

That magic feeling was completly gone by the second game imo because you already done it the previous game, therefore i feel like both are equally good and well worth the time to complete both maybe not back to back but you know. If the fractured but whole would be your first south park gaming experience i'd even give at 8.5/10

10 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

I think most of that stuff got patched out because I only recently played and beat it. Only bug I had was a problem where you move in one direction and infinitely run, and this was not my controller(s) as I both changed them several times to check and verified the bug online. Still a great game though.

Yeah, it took a while before they had most of bugs patched up after I had suffered considerably well enough trying to beat it back then. It's one of the reasons why I don't rush to play most games now when they are released. I'd give it time for all those to surface and get fixed before I start playing. 

On 8/20/2022 at 7:38 PM, Heatman said:

Well seems that you are not hehehe, I stop doing the first long time ago anyway

On 8/21/2022 at 7:21 AM, Heatman said:

Yeah, it took a while before they had most of bugs patched up after I had suffered considerably well enough trying to beat it back then. It's one of the reasons why I don't rush to play most games now when they are released. I'd give it time for all those to surface and get fixed before I start playing. 

I generally just glance at a website to see a numerical review before purchasing a BRAND NEW title. These days I am working on so many backlog games that new games are irrelevant (most of them are nothing-burgers anyways). Unlike many people I own a website and I am literally smashing my backlog.

7 hours ago, Empire said:

Well seems that you are not hehehe, I stop doing the first long time ago anyway

It was the same thing with me as well. Although, I managed to take it for a long ride for as long as I could before moving on from it. I would say that it was a 50/50 check in with fun and frustration for me with the game.

On 8/22/2022 at 6:58 PM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

I generally just glance at a website to see a numerical review before purchasing a BRAND NEW title. These days I am working on so many backlog games that new games are irrelevant (most of them are nothing-burgers anyways). Unlike many people I own a website and I am literally smashing my backlog.

I have a similar experience I have purchased quite a good number of games in the past Months and some of them I am still yet to play.

Though from my old memories of South Park the game is quite exciting  butI still wouldn't want to buy any new release for now.