Register Now
Nebulous

Since when you were a kid?

I've move the topic to the music sub-forum.

On topic, my tastes have changed drastically. I was really into house and dance in my early-mid teens, but I got into metal in a big way in my late teens and haven't looked back. I still like a bit harcore house like acid house, but metal brings the same level on intensity but with better songscraft and more merit in terms of musicianship. I know it seems a little odd, but it honestly felt like natural progression to me.

Not really - I still dislike most Country music songs. I grew up listening to hip-hop/rap and I much rather listening to older songs, the newer ones lack a lot of substance - I can say the same for Pop and Rock. As a matter of fact, I've been listening to Alternative Rock a lot more. Still listen to Dancehall and Reggae a lot.

Not really. I grew up on 80's rock and still love it to this day. But I have gotten into other subgenres of music. I love black metal and death metal. My all time favorite band is Disturbed, but I still have my Whitesnake, Ratt, Cinderella, Quiet Riot, Extreme, Steelheart, Saigon Kick, Stryper, and Poison albums. That's just to name a few.

Edited by The Blackangel

I'd say that in general my tastes stayed roughly the same for the most part since most music I listened to growing up was stuff my dad played, which was stuff in the rock/metal genres and I still enjoy that music and those genres today.

The only real change would be in music I found myself not being stuff I still listen to today, which for the most part is random pop music that kid me liked but teenage/adult me realizes is actually rather garbage or just isn't for me as my taste stopped trying to branch out and remained with the genres I've always enjoyed from as young as I can recall. I also don't listen to bands I listened to in the 2000's/2010's as much nowadays but I think that's just because my Spotify songs are significantly more varied and expansive compared to what music I listened to back in those times.

I feel like much of the music I like now is music that I grew up with and I still listen to it to this day but I do have music that I got into as I got older such as Country music and also KPOP as well that I now listen to which has just broadened my listening to music that bit further. I still listen to artists like Barry Manilow, The Carpenters, Elvis Presley, Gene Pitney, Beatles and many more that I grew up listening to. 

On 2/22/2023 at 4:41 PM, ZandraJoi said:

My interests are the same. I grew up with light 80's rock bands & still prefer those older songs. Especially to newer ones of today. I do listen to more alternative easy-listening music than I did when I was younger. That is to keep stress levels down lol

Keeping stress levels down is always a must. I always feel when my stress levels are increasing if I can shut off on a game with some music it instantly helps. Even when I am working from home, putting my ear buds in and listening to music whilst I am working helps so much just to drown out anything in the background and keep your focus, helps prevent stress a lot. 

On 2/18/2023 at 4:02 PM, Shortie said:

I feel like much of the music I like now is music that I grew up with and I still listen to it to this day but I do have music that I got into as I got older such as Country music and also KPOP as well that I now listen to which has just broadened my listening to music that bit further. I still listen to artists like Barry Manilow, The Carpenters, Elvis Presley, Gene Pitney, Beatles and many more that I grew up listening to. 

That is something people wouldn't believe about me. Aside from growing up on 80's rock, I was forced to listen to country music all the time as well. It's what my parents listened to. A weird thing about me is that I absolutely despise bubblegum pop music, but I like KPOP.

I'm weird.

I've been all over the place in music growing up. I used to go on a lot of road trips as a kid and long hours in the car listening to 80's music which I love. There is something in music about that time period. I remember hearing songs being played everywhere I went, to the store or wherever and a cool song sticks in my head. Then I got into industrial type rock like NIN and rap music and techno. Then rock, classic rock, and alternative. I went on a lot of camping trips in my teenage years and we would always sit under the stars listening to enigma and get stoned. Enigma has always stuck with me and other new age music. Then I dated someone from Mexico and got me appreciating Spanish rock. Now I listen to all sorts of stuff from Witcher 3 music, to new age, indie rock, foreign music like tribal stuff or Renaissance/gypsy. I love anything with congas. At the end of the day, nothing beats a good 80's song. It's just whatever I'm the mood for. I can go into hardcore rap, to Last of the Mohicans soundtrack in an instant. 

Not a massive amount, really. I mostly grow up with music from the 1960s and 1980s, so that's what my favourites have always been. I used to hate modern pop music - but now, I merely think it's 'meh' 😛 .

(I'm still not a fan of hip-hop, though... I've never liked it!)

On 3/8/2023 at 7:15 PM, Kyng said:

Not a massive amount, really. I mostly grow up with music from the 1960s and 1980s, so that's what my favourites have always been. I used to hate modern pop music - but now, I merely think it's 'meh' 😛 .

(I'm still not a fan of hip-hop, though... I've never liked it!)

That's fair, I do like a lot of 80's songs because my parents used to play them a lot when I was growing up.

I feel like my music taste really hasn't changed too much since I was younger. There was music I did enjoy back then that I couldn't listen in front of my father since he was very strongly opinionated on music. If my sister and I ever listened to hip-hop or rap in front of him, he would immediately start mocking the music... Because of that for the longest time I would start criticizing my friends if they listened to rap. I never liked rap to be honest with you, but I did enjoy some hip-hop. I also somewhat still enjoy some of Megadeth's music but not as much as I did when I was a kid.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:05 PM, The Blackangel said:

That is something people wouldn't believe about me. Aside from growing up on 80's rock, I was forced to listen to country music all the time as well. It's what my parents listened to. A weird thing about me is that I absolutely despise bubblegum pop music, but I like KPOP.

I'm weird.

KPop does seem to have a way of getting you hooked on it. Not sure what it is but it is definitely music I prefer to listen to compared to the music that is released nowadays, it's like a breath of fresh air listening to new music from the KPop genre.