Register Now
Kane99

Which PlayStation One cases did you prefer? Long box or jewel case?

PS1 games originally released in the US in those black long cases. I have a few games in those cases. But soon after they started to go with just plain jewel cases. I prefer the jewel cases honestly because they were easier to store. But damn did those jewel cases damage the manuals. How many games did you get where the jewel case ripped trying to get it out? 

But which did you prefer? The original black case that's more like a fat DVD case? Or the smaller/thinner jewel cases?

R.thumb.jpeg.41e33c70ffcb511ce6253661c48af8e9.jpeg

OIP.jpeg.aa0247cabed09d2767c61206bdc17bf1.jpeg

PS1 started with long jewel cases. Those didn't work well, the tabs broke so easily. I remember you could call SCEA and they'd ship you a replacement. When my case for Battle Arena broke they not only sent me a replacement they also sent me a photocopied list of some codes. (I didn't tell my friends how to play Sho.)

Then they started using long plastic and/or cardboard ones. Those weren't very attractive, so they switched to standard CD-sized jewel cases.

To my knowledge there's not a single game which shipped for the Playstation which started in a standard jewel case and then moved to a long box of any type. That's not to say none exist, just I've never heard of such a thing.

I much preferred the smaller, fatter jewel cases to be honest, I though the longer thinner ones were just ugly looking and were more difficult to store as well because they were longer. I feel the smaller jewel cases also looked more professional as well compared to the long thin ones. 

22 hours ago, Shortie said:

I much preferred the smaller, fatter jewel cases to be honest, I though the longer thinner ones were just ugly looking and were more difficult to store as well because they were longer. I feel the smaller jewel cases also looked more professional as well compared to the long thin ones. 

Yeah standard jewel cases for CDs were great. The manual acting as the cover art was what made them better imo. That and how easier they were to store. They still had issues where the tabs would break and they were notorious for damaging the manuals when removed. 

I think the best case was the DVD case, or better yet, the Sega Genesis cases. That is probably the standard you want for a good case. 

19 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah standard jewel cases for CDs were great. The manual acting as the cover art was what made them better imo. That and how easier they were to store. They still had issues where the tabs would break and they were notorious for damaging the manuals when removed. 

I think the best case was the DVD case, or better yet, the Sega Genesis cases. That is probably the standard you want for a good case. 

Yes I remember how bad the cases were for damaging the manuals. Wasn't the most ideal if you were someone who wanted to keep their games in good condition including the manuals as any time you took them out and went to put them back in again, they would some how get caught and end up damaged. 

jewel cases for sure were the better option of the two. Sony learned that pretty early on.  The longbox/Saturn style cases were terrible.  Even for my own collection, I have 2 Saturn games in longbox, I plan on moving over to a standard DVD style case because the longbox cases are just so terrible for the disc. Too flimsy and just a poor idea all around.

Edited by Smokey

As a Saturn fan, I LOVED the longboxes because they sat so perfectly on my shelf next to my Saturn games, lol, but they were so fragile and the jewel cases, while still fragile, were a marked improvement overall.  It made sense for them to change and they were 100% right to do so.

16 hours ago, PGen98 said:

As a Saturn fan, I LOVED the longboxes because they sat so perfectly on my shelf next to my Saturn games, lol, but they were so fragile and the jewel cases, while still fragile, were a marked improvement overall.  It made sense for them to change and they were 100% right to do so.

Yup. Most of the Sega Saturn games I owned in the big jewel case, were often broken or falling apart. They had the right idea, but I think the best case you could get was the the cases Sega used for the genesis. The hard plastic, was probably the best case you could get. I know they skimmed on cases going forward since they wanted to stop using plastics so much. Look at the 360/PS3 cases when they started getting rid of manuals, they also cheeped out on the cases. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Yup. Most of the Sega Saturn games I owned in the big jewel case, were often broken or falling apart. They had the right idea, but I think the best case you could get was the the cases Sega used for the genesis. The hard plastic, was probably the best case you could get. I know they skimmed on cases going forward since they wanted to stop using plastics so much. Look at the 360/PS3 cases when they started getting rid of manuals, they also cheeped out on the cases. 

Oh absolutely, those clam shell cases were absolutely perfect.  I was sort of hoping Nintendo would use those for the N64 instead of their constant reliance on cardboard, sadly, no. 

Agreed, those 360 cases especially towards the end, so flimsy and fragile! 

I used to prefer the long box cases, but as someone who owns Sega CD and Saturn games I know how flimsy these long box cases are. Don't get me started on Nintendo's cheap cardboard cases for their old cartridge games. xD I lost my old Pokemon boxes because of this, I seriously don't get why they couldn't have used plastic cases like Sega did back in the day. Sega does what Nintendon't. 😛 (Sorry I couldn't resist that last bit.) So I have to say jewel cases are better IMO.

On 2/23/2023 at 7:44 PM, PGen98 said:

Oh absolutely, those clam shell cases were absolutely perfect.  I was sort of hoping Nintendo would use those for the N64 instead of their constant reliance on cardboard, sadly, no. 

Agreed, those 360 cases especially towards the end, so flimsy and fragile! 

Yeah the cardboard cases were never good. They made getting to the game easy, but I would rather have a nice case to store it in. Glad they adopted the plastic case after. :D 

Yeah they weren't great, but to be fair they did get the job done to some extent. We aside from when games would chip putting them in and out of the case, as some cases back then had really annoying holders too. I remember cracking a few games trying to get them out of those annoying cases. 

On 2/24/2023 at 6:08 PM, Ravenfreak said:

I used to prefer the long box cases, but as someone who owns Sega CD and Saturn games I know how flimsy these long box cases are. Don't get me started on Nintendo's cheap cardboard cases for their old cartridge games. xD I lost my old Pokemon boxes because of this, I seriously don't get why they couldn't have used plastic cases like Sega did back in the day. Sega does what Nintendon't. 😛 (Sorry I couldn't resist that last bit.) So I have to say jewel cases are better IMO.

Not many people saved those cardboard cases. I wish I did, because knowing what I know now, I would have protected all of my games cases, from the NES, SNES, and N64. And any other games that came in cardboard boxes. 

I miss the standard jewel cases. It brings back so many memories. What I really miss though is the manuals. It was so easy and sometimes fun to read those. You would be able to easily memorize the controls before you even started playing the game. 

1 hour ago, Rain Dew said:

I miss the standard jewel cases. It brings back so many memories. What I really miss though is the manuals. It was so easy and sometimes fun to read those. You would be able to easily memorize the controls before you even started playing the game. 

Yeah, they don't make them like they used to. The fact most games don't come with the manual anymore, sucks. I miss the days of opening a new game and reading the manual through. I get why they stopped doing it, but sucks not having it because it's part of the experience of getting a new game. I think that's why they do it for collectors/limited edition sets, because they can include a manual and poster in there. 

Also, the ease of storage was nice. You could store more jewel case games on a shelf. The only issues for me was how they fell apart sometimes, and the way they sometimes would tear the manuals when removing them from the case. I have a few games where the manual got torn because of some of the cases having those half circle lips. But other than that, they are my preferred cases.