Register Now
Kane99

Neil Druckmann Says His Next Game Is "Structured More Like A TV Show"

I'm not against this, as many games have done a TV show like structure. I want to say Quantum Break is something I'm thinking of, a game mixed with a show/game kind of thing. But my guess it'll be something episodic like The Walking Dead game. So we'll probably get seasons, and episodes to coincide with said seasons. 

I think it can work if done right. And Naughty Dog are usually good for making quality games. 

What do you think he has cooking? 

Source - https://exputer.com/news/neil-druckmann-next-game-tv-show/

What a stupid thing to say. Or at least the way he implies it makes it sound like he's the first person on Earth to come up with the idea. But it's been done lots of times, from your example in Walking Dead, to Metal Gear Solid 5 where the missions start with credits and the like. The hypothesis you're providing aswell ("We'll probably get seasons, and episodes to coincide with said seasons") is even more alarming to me since that might give them leeway to release bits of a full game while charging a premium for every single entry (since games take way longer to produce than a season of a TV show generally).

I have nothing against Naughty Dog's games, they make super high quality stuff, but Druckmann just seems to be completely full of himself and super pretentious at all times lol.

That's a kind of weird thing to say because it already feels like The Last of Us 1 was structured like a TV show. Or rather a mini-series, with each season having its own contained little plot arc while still contributing to the overall story. I guess he just means doing this but... More?

Curious to see what he cooks up next. Although, I wasn't a fan of TLOU Part 2. It didn't feel the same as the original and I preferred the plot of the original. I feel like TLOU would've been better off as a one and done thing, ending on an ambiguous note.  Saying that, i'm curious to see what's next.

It could mean he will do something in episodes where each episode is focused instead of huge gigabyte series. TLOU 2 was 96gb straight from download w/o updates. This to me seems like a money making scheme where they divide it up into smaller episodes to make more money. But I could be wrong and may not be the intention at all. I think he may be gaining some enlightening experience due to TLOU TV series coming out and maybe he is intrigued by that kind of model. Who knows, maybe he has his sights set in the Hollywood industry. He definitely has worked with brilliant minds in Naughty Dog will excellent story oriented games. But going the route of 'TV Show' would sacrifice gameplay in order to make it more show/story oriented. I prefer a bit of gameplay. But who knows. He and his team has talent. 

As others have pointed out, it's not like episodic games are a new thing, but having read the article I don't think that's what Neil Druckmann meant. I think he's referring to the creative process being like the way a TV is done, more specially the writing process. What difference this will make to the already very narrative driven video games Neil Druckmann is known for, I don't really know. I personally always felt games like The Last of Us and Uncharted followed a very similar kind of liner story progression and the kind of pacing that's typical for TV shows anyway.

I'll be honest, even after reading the article.. I'm not exactly sure what he's talking about.  Does he mean it's going to be more of a interactive narrative type expertise like a David Cage/Quantic Dream type project?  Will it be Episodic presentation like Life is Strange or a Telltale game?  Will it be (like the op @Kane99 mentioned) a mix of gameplay and live action cutscenes like Quantum Break or (the ill fated) The Quiet Man? Will it be an purely action type game with a TV show type presentation like Battlefield Hardline's campaign?  I have no idea!

The most confusing thing for me though is why?  Naughty Dog seem to be doing fine with their current format of 3rd person, liner, story driven, big production action games so why change it?  He must have something different in mind but I couldn't guess what.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 1/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, Crazycrab said:

I'll be honest, even after reading the article.. I'm not exactly sure what he's talking about.  Does he mean it's going to be more of a interactive narrative type expertise like a David Cage/Quantic Dream type project?  Will it be Episodic presentation like Life is Strange or a Telltale game?  Will it be (like the op @Kane99 mentioned) a mix of gameplay and live action cutscenes like Quantum Break or (the ill fated) The Quiet Man? Will it be an purely action type game with a TV show type presentation like Battlefield Hardline's campaign?  I have no idea!

The most confusing thing for me though is why?  Naughty Dog seem to be doing fine with their current format of 3rd person, liner, story driven, big production action games so why change it?  He must have something different in mind but I couldn't guess what.

That's actually a valid point - It could be formatted like Manhunt from the early 90's. Possibly with a narrator as well?